Jump to content

Building report about a Sikorsky S-64F Skycrane in scale 1:32, which can then fly


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Connecting the main fuselage to the tail section proved to be a little more complicated than thinking. The main fuselage was a bit twisted by the gluing, so that the tail would have been crooked when gluing it together.
This happens quickly with larger foil hulls. That's why we usually separate the rear part to compensate for the twisting.
Here a carbon tube had to yield (was cut off) and the connectors were glued either inside or outside.
 

s64f157.jpg.706959a49d0db62f48b5672d43b2a51e.jpg

 

The rest was clarified by a spatula.

 

s64f160.jpg.09bcabdcb8868eb0cbeac5e91b99eeee.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The material is not wobbly. As soon as it is glued together, everyone wonders how stiff and stable it becomes. Therefore it makes no sense to deep-draw such hulls from thicker material. This only increases the weight, but hardly the bending stiffness.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The outriggers for the running gear legs are supported by a cross beam. This absorbs the forces (when landing). The foil alone would not be able to do this sufficiently. It's printed with a simple filament printer. (Here still the older one of Shapeways)

 

s64f166.jpg.2367da9e577f8a3a121286c25f94ec64.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Forestale version has bubble windows on both sides. The foil part is held halfway inside and the outline is marked. First cut a smaller hole. Then carefully trim again and again until the window fits.
The window foil must lie cleanly on the inside all around.

 

s64f184.jpg.cb6fc6acddf3d16e0ade2611b24a7ab0.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The two halves of the pulpit are connected on the outside with pieces of Tesa.

Inside then small pieces of foil are stuck on as connectors. It is better to mask the large windows on the inside as well, so that no adhesive lands on the foil.

 

s64f190.jpg.0abd68e1713dbf2bbfcb9d1c7870b450.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the bottom, a large piece of foil is glued to the inside of the floor. This also serves to take the load from the nose wheel!

The position for the nose wheel is marked on the outside. Inside the counterholder of the nose wheel is glued with a lot of glue.
 

s64f193.jpg.795a241350238cc357eda50ed1000bb9.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The rear of the cabin must still be fastened. I had already adapted it.
For this purpose small elbows are bent out of foil.
Narrow pieces are glued on the right inside, above and below. Not on the left side, because everything is glazed.
During the construction I should have made the cut 3 mm further forward. But I didn't think of the fact with the glazing on the left. It must go also in such a way.

 

s64f233.jpg.778598b12688f9e64009ef99351764cf.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the left side I cut a slightly smaller frame out of 1 mm sheet. This is glued to the frame on the foil part. The outside of the 1 mm must be enough as an adhesive surface for the back part!

Looks good and stops! The rest is clarified by spatula.

 

 

s64f236.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your appreciative comments.

 

The landing gear legs are plugged in. From above I apply gentle pressure to the fuselage. Nothing bends there. The fuselage will withstand 600 g in total. I would have been surprised, if not.
 

s64f237.jpg.092be9112f230eae744d3c5d83035612.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...