Italeri 1/72 Top Gun F-14 and A-4 set

They look just like the decals that Testors had in their Top Gun boxings back when they boxed the Italeri toolings.

At least this time Italeri re-tooled the A-4 slightly, to give an option without the hump. All Testors did was give us the Italeri A-4M (with the hump molded on), and some crude instructions for an "almost conversion" of the kit. (check that,,,,,,,this time they boxed up the Esci tooling instead of using their own old tooling)

I need to get one of those boxes, to add to my "each 1/72 Skyhawk release" set of Scooters.

22 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Those aren't event the original Testors markings. They're much worse. And they got the Tomcat colors wrong...

brian

If I remember correctly, Scale-Master did the original Testors Top Gun kits decal sheets.

-Gregg

21 hours ago, Johnopfor said:

What BS!

No cargo plane full of rubber dog $#!t flying out of Hong Kong? What an outrage!

And they're not even including the motorbike from the boxart! Those fiends!

:D

The inspiration for Iceman's unit markings:

https://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2739&idCategoria=1&idSottocategoria=3

The number on Iceman's tail markings are movie accurate. VA-25 markings, VF-213 titles. Maverick's tail art came from an E-2 Hawkeye squadron.

I normally don't buy cheap knockoff decals, but I think the ones I've seen on ebay are better quality than these.

Edited by Swordsman422
14 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

The number on Iceman's tail markings are movie accurate. VA-25 markings, VF-213 titles. Maverick's tail art came from an E-2 Hawkeye squadron.

I normally don't buy cheap knockoff decals, but I think the ones I've seen on ebay are better quality than these.

I was not aware they actually did that, never paid too much attention to the marking details.  

I remember seeing "Iceman's" tomcat in the VF-51/VF-111 hanger during the 1985 NAS Miramar airshow and asking a young sailor what was up with the Fist of the Fleet badge on the tail, his response was: "They're shooting some movie ..." :coolio:

-Gregg