Pinto Cruising Wagon done - Rollin' in Style (?)

Well, after a lot more work than I thought it would be, the Pinto Crusing Wagon is now done! Just like the real car, this one was lot of headaches interspersed with some chagrins. Thing is, it’s an old MPC, and I was expecting some trouble. Not as much as I got, but I sure didn’t expect a “Clean Getaway”, so to speak!

I’m really very glad to have a stock representation of one of what might be the lamer attempts to add performance through striping. I am now excited to get my hands on the ’77 Cruising Van that Round 2 just put out, so I can have two examples of Ford’s attempts to conjure up tapestripe horsepower!

Check out this little beast at the link below, and be warned: you’re likely not going to see this kit built often simply because there’s so much wrong with it. However, in the end, it is all worth it, because it’s a Pinto Cruising Wagon, and how much lamer does it get than that?

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/cars/round-2mpc-1-25-1979-pinto-cruising-wagon/

pinto-162.jpg?w=332

Edited by Faust
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, guys!

Of course, Ben, it was metallic brown. That's sort of the most appropriate colour for those things anyway!

Hmmm... I'm not sure who should be feeling good about that drag race. :)

On 12/31/2018 at 10:40 PM, Faust said:

Thanks, guys!

Of course, Ben, it was metallic brown. That's sort of the most appropriate colour for those things anyway!

Hmmm... I'm not sure who should be feeling good about that drag race. 🙂

Yes, an MGB with the single Zenith carb and loads of emissions (good for a whopping 65 hp!) wasn’t exactly a speed demon. Converting it to twin SUs really woke it up.

Apparently, back in the day, Pintos made pretty good race cars. They ran them in both IMSA and SCCA events.

Ben

5 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Apparently, back in the day, Pintos made pretty good race cars. They ran them in both IMSA and SCCA events.

A Pinto was entered in the November 24 Hours of Lemons at Houston Motorsports Ranch.  Oh my goodness, you should have seen the broken rod!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, going to have to share the blog post with the Google Plus gang while G+ is still here to share things on; some of them would enjoy it.

From review page of Pinto, I like that phrase, "However, life continued, and like wolves at a salad bar, all people could do was make the best of what they had" 😎

Edited by southwestforests
  • 3 weeks later...