F-18 Landing Gear Retraction Sequence

Thanks! It wouldn't be fun if it weren't complicated. I think I can at least somewhat make it look close to being accurate. While the engineering and stress analysis and load testing etc...is VERY complicated, all that work has been done. I just need to halfway represent what the brilliant engineers already figured out by reverse engineering enough for it kind look right. I think it's doable. It definitely won't be impressively accurate though.

1 hour ago, eraucubsfan said:

I did a Growler with the landing gear mid-retraction, it's not 100% accurate, but to me it looks the part.

Heck Yeah! That looks great. Especially considering the scale and the parts you had to modify. That's the one thing that will probably make my build a little easier, the parts are larger and are already separated. That means all I have to do it extend the shock and various rods. I think the one thing I'm seeing as a big challenge is he kit's gear axle isn't quite modeled right. It may be close enough though. I'm still running through the planning stage. I'll try to post up progress...once I make some.

Bill

On 11/13/2018 at 10:51 AM, niart17 said:

Heck Yeah! That looks great. Especially considering the scale and the parts you had to modify. That's the one thing that will probably make my build a little easier, the parts are larger and are already separated. That means all I have to do it extend the shock and various rods. I think the one thing I'm seeing as a big challenge is he kit's gear axle isn't quite modeled right. It may be close enough though. I'm still running through the planning stage. I'll try to post up progress...once I make some.

Bill

Thanks Bill-

Just remember as you can see from my build, depending on where in the sequence you make the gear, the gear doors hide a good chunk of it.  

Well, in continuation of the apparent obsession now, I've decided to try to model the basic geometry to try to simulate what the set-up is. Here is my first rough model that I THINK has close to the correct angle on the lower axle housing area, and the bend on the axle itself. If anyone has great reference of the landing gear with the wheel removed or even better, taken apart, that would be awesome!. For now I'm just planning on a geometry study, but MAY decide to model at least the bottom part of the gear with accurate-ish details and print it to add to my kit's upper gear section. Or I may get ambitious and do the whole gear leg.

Keep in mind, this is just very rough, not many details are there and not real accurate. May refine it.

landing gear leg bottom2.JPG

Edited by niart17