1/24 Tamiya Calibra DTM

hi guys

Here's another side project I have just finished - Tamiya's Opal Calibra DTM. Heavily inspired by the Zakspeed version (as well as Need For Speed cars), I went for a matte black colour. I'm not normally a "Matte Black car" kinda guy, but I do think it looks the part on this machine. I build this once before when I was in my very early twenties in red after seeing one like it in London but I had all the skills of a novice and it looked terrible

I modified the rear diffuser and and paddle shifters - stolen from a Aventador PE Set - to the wheel (no manual box for me)

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

Anyway, enough talking, time for pics:

45082157804_ebc4d939f7_c.jpg

45082158924_2b8192f7c3_c.jpg

45082160084_ec4166d858_c.jpg

30866818587_7930bba2e4_c.jpg

45082162064_1d76063d32_c.jpg

30866819707_83f2bfd2c0_c.jpg

45082164394_8b41236283_c.jpg

30866821827_d95f677a8f_c.jpg

43989825090_5274603557_c.jpg

45806375601_9da1134bf7_c.jpg

I would LOVE to get the Revell BMW M3 DTM kit to do the same but it's rarer than rocking horse pooh. Maybe one day I'll find one or they'll re-release it (hopeful but unlikely)

Well, that's all I have. Back to the Star Destroyer this weekend and I'll try to finish the bridge section

Thanks for looking

Si

Love it! It looks really good in flat black.

I just recently discovered the DTM race series and the Tamiya and the Revell kits. I haven't found the Revell BMW for less than  $80 US. Like you, I would love to get one. There are some good-looking aftermarket decals for it.

Ben

6 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Love it! It looks really good in flat black.

I just recently discovered the DTM race series and the Tamiya and the Revell kits. I haven't found the Revell BMW for less than  $80 US. Like you, I would love to get one. There are some good-looking aftermarket decals for it.

Ben

At least you could find one. I haven't been able to. The only one I found was going for 80 euros plus another 30 for shipping which makes it nearly 150 au. Way more than what I'm willing to pay. 

The DTM series is awesome! Tamiya made some great kits. I wouldn't mind the Astra either. 

41 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

At least you could find one. I haven't been able to. The only one I found was going for 80 euros plus another 30 for shipping which makes it nearly 150 au. Way more than what I'm willing to pay. 

The DTM series is awesome! Tamiya made some great kits. I wouldn't mind the Astra either. 

That’s probably the same one I was looking at. 😮  Maybe someday they’ll release it again.

Ben

• 1 month later...

Well, the modelling deities must have heard me because I managed to pick up the Bruno Spengler BMW for a relatively good price! I also picked up the Revell Corvette C7R to go with.

I am thinking of modifying the BMW to be more of a street machine, but I will sleep on that for now

The C7R will not be in the yellow livery it should be in but probably gloss black

Happy times ahead 🙂

5 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

Well, the modelling deities must have heard me because I managed to pick up the Bruno Spengler BMW for a relatively good price! I also picked up the Revell Corvette C7R to go with.

I am thinking of modifying the BMW to be more of a street machine, but I will sleep on that for now

The C7R will not be in the yellow livery it should be in but probably gloss black

Happy times ahead 🙂

Congratulations! I've been thinking about picking up the Vette and upgrading it to the 2016 version to match the kit decals.

Ben

5 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Congratulations! I've been thinking about picking up the Vette and upgrading it to the 2016 version to match the kit decals.

Ben

thank Ben! I'm petty stoked to have gotten a hold of the Beemer, so here's hoping I don't make a dog's breakfast of it once I start.

I thought the C7R was a 2016 version already?

Si

Apparently, it's a 2014-2015 car with 2016 Daytona decals. There is the start of a build here, where he updates the model to 2016 specs: LINK  I haven't asked the builder if he ever finished it, but he got off to a great start. If you're not familiar with the Motorsports Modeling forum, it's a great resource for all things racing.

Indycals has decals for a 2015 Le Mans car, if you want to build the kit without having to modify anything: Another link

Cheers!

Ben

Your quite right - that is an awesome start! I like his engine work - it looks amazing with those CF decals

Great find. I hope he does finish it. Interesting to read of the fit issues though. I expected better from Revell on that score, but to be honest, I've only ever built 2 Revell Cars before so I don't have much to compare it to

I think I'll sign up to that forum - thanks for pointing that one out