100 years ago today

My grandfather, my dad's father, arrived at the front. He passed away in 1968, so I don't remember much of him.  He told my dad that he got to the front and the war ended the next day. According to my dad, he ended up guarding the bridge at Remagen for a while. Oddly enough, my wife's grandfather ended up guarding what was left of the Remagen bridges after WWII. 

Ben 

Ben,

That's not only ironic but very cool!

Interestingly, my father, who was with the 99th Inf. Division, accompanied, by the 9th Armored Division, fought and captured the Bridge at Remagen during the Battle of Remagen. I think the 99th was the first full division to cross the Rhine. They previously were in the Battle of the Bulge ( Ardennes Offensive ), and then, he was last in the Battle of the Ruhr pocket. Pretty heady stuff for a fellow of 20! 

Anyway, I caught "Remagen" and it made me recollect. My Dad was a veteran of WW II, Korea, and Vietnam. He passed away three years ago as so many of " Our Greatest Generation " are so frequently and sadly doing now.

But I do Sincerely thank you and your wife's families for their contributed service and sacrifice for our country. Many Thanks!

Sincerely,

afoxbat USN (ret.)