I finally finished up the last of this year's "Honey Do List" projects, and I can get back to the bench after nearly 7 months. I'm going to build Tamiya's F-16N kit and use Fightertown Decals "Holy Sh*t It's Vipers" decal sheet. 

XfXgMVU.jpg

I'll be doing one of these desert schemes:

hidWLEz.jpg

First up will be the cockpit. Hope to have some progress by the end of the weekend, and pics will be posted.

My last two builds were 32nd scale, and getting back to working on a 48th scale kit, they make it seem small! 

I was able to make some good progress on the cockpit. I got the IP, side consoles and the seat completed:

Ik7oaP8.jpg

gTUIIt4.jpg

73TXxHu.jpg

They are not accurately painted, but they look the part. 

I was also able to get the intake and wheel wells started:

LL9ESrk.jpg

The instructions call for the MLG to be installed early, and knowing myself, I'll bust one of them off in no time. I recall there was a way to install later in the build. I'll have to go looking for that tip.

Thanks for looking in on my build.

Mike

Edited by Ichitoe

Made some progress over the weekend. This kit is a real joy to build, but I guess that's to be expected since it's Tamiya. 

The cockpit was wrapped up and ready to be installed; the seat is just sitting in the cockpit for now.  

7zmoDLa.jpg

p7KKQnM.jpg

I got the fuselages assembled.

3V7wMgw.jpg

And here's shot of the exhaust nozzle. I got sloppy with the detailing, and I have some cleanup work to do.

jzisRri.jpg

I'll start working on the LG next and the tail assembly.

Thanks for stopping by for a look.

Mike

I was able to sneak in sometime at the bench while the family was visiting over the holiday. The major components have been attached. For the most part it went together well; however, I do have a couple of steps at the nose cone/fuselage connection that I need to address. Luckily, they are on the bottom, so I won't sweat losing some panel lines/details.    

wKSBXnd.jpg

Thanks for looking in on the build.

Mike

Quick weekend update. I have the landing gear pretty much completed. I wasn't aware the F-16N used black main wheels until the instructions indicated so and looking on the web. I think they look cool in black. I was anxious to get the Bombshell Brew paints down on the plastic, so I laid down the colors on the horizontal stabs. I'm using their FS30400 Tan and FS 30140 Dark Earth. The colors look good to my eye, but what do I know.

6Cvopey.jpg

Next for the build will be getting the canopy prepped for attachment then the build ready for the paint shop.

Mike

Started the weekend off with some bench time last night. I installed the seat and IP coaming installed. Here are a couple shots the cockpit.

4hj0LED.jpg

yskNtpk.jpg

The canopy was glued on, seams filled in with some Mr. Surfacer, and masked off. A coat of primer to find missed cleanups plus using water based acrylics I've experienced better adhesion. ru0Lxni.jpg

Once the cleanups were taken care of the first color was laid down. syxaEqZ.jpg

Hopefully, I'll have time to get both colors down over the weekend.  

Thanks Stefan - I was wondering if I'd get to the end of the build without a single comment; thanks for not letting that happen!

My wife decided to go shopping with a GF today. She asked if I'd mind. My first thought was bench time! "Not at all dear you go have fun, and you two should go have lunch too" was my response. They did, and I had 5 hours of bench time to work on the build! 

I was able to lay down the second color of the scheme:

aB4JxUB.jpg

DVMEZjG.jpg

ZnV7VuT.jpg

And after a little lunch I applied the few decals used on this scheme:

NHLvMY2.jpg

zAzBcPX.jpg

I'll let this settle up over night then lay down the flat coat. Getting close to wrapping this one up.

Mike

Looking Good!  Beautiful scheme you picked.  Looking forward to your next update!

1. How did bombshell brew behave for you?  Work has been getting the best of me, ironically around the time my order from BSB came in, so I haven't had much air brush time. did you thin it?  what air pressure did you use?

2. I see you found the "workaround" to the "MLG being installed too early". 

3. what did you use on the model contact surfaces of your dh 4801 stand?

Thanks! I need a desert schemed adversary to go with all the gray and blues ones in the display case.

This is my first use of BSB, so I'm still on a learning curve with it. I typically use lacquers (Mr. Color). I thinned the BSB with the elixir BSB describes on their site, pretty much distilled water, 91% IPA and veggie glycerin. I was using 15 psi, but I think I need to play around with the pressure still. I always do several thin coats when painting with lacquers, and I did the same with the BSB. I found the finish to be rough, but that's typical with flat paint. Although, it could have been my method that caused the rough finish too. Like I said I need more time playing with it. I do like his color range of paints.

Yep, otherwise I would have busted them off early in the build! 

It's felt cloth that I glued to the surfaces.

• 2 weeks later...