One of the more horrifying videos I've seen but it's also one of the most moving.  Tomorrow, take a minute to remember those who have served, those are still serving in harms way and those who never made it back home. 

Probably better that I don't watch the video. Yes, Veterans give, sacrifice, lose, much. And probably also in some subtle ways that we non-veterans can't even begin to grasp. Though I am not a veteran our family has veterans all the way back to the AWI and all the way up to my brother and his 3 sons, the oldest one of whom recently had to leave active duty because the PTSD was too much - he was a radiology tech and the wounded children in Iraq really got to him.

Grumman Avenger brings to mind that Dad began his Navy experience flying but soon had to leave flying and go to surface warfare because of one of those fabled eyesight problems. Avenger was one of his favorite airplanes. 

Our family is lucky, 3 currently living vets have had narrow escapes from death.
During the Vietnam war era Dad narrowly survived a helo crash, I think aboard on a carrier, when a blade fragment passed through the fuselage a bit above his head. to this day at 78 years old he does not like to hear helos.

My brother, a now retired Warrant Officer, narrowly escaped in Somalia when his patrol was confronted by a few grenades tossed over the streetside garden wall to land at their feet: they turned out to be those Soviet grenades where 2 steps were required to arm them, only 1 had been done. They completed the second step, returned the grenades to sender and just kept walking down the street.

Oldest nephew was a radiology tech in Iraq when one day he was called in to work on his day off and while he was at work a mortar round hit his quarters, destroying some of his clothing and his laptop.

And now come to mind the families of those veterans who were not allowed escape ...

57 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

Wow. But should that body have not been returned to the family for proper burial? Didn't they have the right to pay their own respects and have closure?

Burial at sea was standard procedure for the USN.  No morgue on ships, no COD plane to fly the remains out.