Tamiya 1/48 Tomcat build book.

Hi all Tomcat lovers.

I picked up a copy of Spencer Pollard’s ‘Let’s Build’ book on the 1/48 Tamiya F-14 Tomcat this weekend at IPMS (UK) SMW show.

Just thought I’d share my opinion on this book with you.

The book follows the previous ‘Let’s build’ books on WWII fighters and the recent book on the Airfix Sea Fury kit. It’s bright pages display three builds of the two kits provided by Tamiya of this venerable aircraft, my favourite Cold War jet. For me who had already bought the A model kit, the book confirmed the ‘need’ to buy the D model kit this weekend. 

Spencer builds three differing Tomcats, a from the box A, a detailed A and a down and dirty D model. All the builds have you hooked, showing how a professional model maker take each kit in differing ways and using techniques within even my grasp, leaves you with a breathtaking model of this cat.

In this book Spencer has shown the reader how to get the best out of this kit of kits.

My personal opinion is, if you’re going to buy and build one or more of these Tamiya Tomcats, then get this book as an insight to what can be achieved, you won’t be disappointed, I wasn’t.

Cheers the Woo.

I'm pretty sure I've stated before... I don't see the utility of such a book. It's not as if the Tamiya kit were in any way a challenge to build. In  fact, if the kit were any easier, a drunk monkey could build and win an IPMS regional with it.

but hey, it's your money!

On 11/12/2018 at 4:12 PM, Skull Leader said:

I'm pretty sure I've stated before... I don't see the utility of such a book. It's not as if the Tamiya kit were in any way a challenge to build. In  fact, if the kit were any easier, a drunk monkey could build and win an IPMS regional with it.

but hey, it's your money!

That's me and I couldn't win!

DSCF0002.jpg

20 hours ago, airmechaja said:

That's me and I couldn't win!

DSCF0002.jpg

Nice one thanks for the chuckle.

However I am more interested in where you got the monkey model. Now that would be cool to have. I could put him on my desk so he can look at me building always questioning what I do 🤣