Note for all you 1/72 Phantom Phans....

I know the kit is a re-pop but I thought some people might be interested in the markings......who said anything about a C/D and what does it have to do with this post?

2019 Final Year. I had no idea there were still F-4s flying in Japan. Thought most had been retired in the last few years. Not to change the subject, but who else is still flying them. Greece? Turkey?

Does someone know an exact date when japan stops flying Phantoms?

I plan to go to Hyakuri AB at the end of May 2019, but knowing my luck they will either have already changed to the F-35 and deployed to Misawa AB or I will catch a no fly day.

Thanks for the heads up, RCAFFAN. 

For those who like the scheme that RCAFFAN posted, here's something for you:

http://www.masm.fr/galleryjapanF4EJ-7 Kokudan.htm

To piggyback on the JASDF Special Schemes, I think the other upcoming JASDF Special Anniversary schemes are the F-15J kits by Platz:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10571294

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10568664

And this highly deadly weapon of mass distraction by Hasegawa:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10571811

By the way, those helo schemes are not just fictional. JGSDF actually painted their Cobras that way:

http://www.masm.fr/galleryjapanJGSDFBellFujiAH-1SCobra.htm

I guess their plan is to kill the enemy with cuteness 🙂

20 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

I know the kit is a re-pop but I thought some people might be interested in the markings......who said anything about a C/D and what does it have to do with this post?

Cause 10 years since they last did a repop of their stinking F-4C/D

Less for theirs F-4G

Freaking ages for their F-111A -D/F - FB and EF

Less than two years to resell you that Hind shaped thing with resin bits for an MKIII

No freaking F-15 S/MTD instead they released just an IFCS with incorrect markings and underscale Hornet tailplanes

That Advanced Superbug once again with messed up resin bits

All of their F-16 with aggressor schemes were always released in the wrong scale, ditto for a couple of others such as the upgraded Vipers

They didn't finish their Ace Combat line by releasing overpriced reboxes with Grun, Schnee, Rot, Sorcerer, Wizard, Indigo, Schwarze and Gault markings, ditto for Area88 as they completely jumped/ignored 2004 anime, OAV, Ace Combat Infinity and some manga markings

Limited Edition Tornado GR4 kits having something that belongs to NATO/UK weapon set aka launcher/rail adapter for Brimstone missiles

Let's make new moldings for the recce pods of our RF-4EJ and slap them in a 2in1 box that we'll be releasing once and never re-release it

Sometimes it does, sorry for the rant...

Luigi

Edited by Mizar
11 hours ago, Ventris said:

Does someone know an exact date when japan stops flying Phantoms?

I plan to go to Hyakuri AB at the end of May 2019, but knowing my luck they will either have already changed to the F-35 and deployed to Misawa AB or I will catch a no fly day.

To quote:

On Dec. 2, 2018, Hyakuri Airbase will celebrate the end of the 302 Hikotai’s operations with the F-4 with an airshow.

Beginning next year, the JASDF will operate only two Phantom squadrons at Hyakuri: 301 Hikotai with F-4EJs and 501 Hikotai with a variety of RF-4E and RF4EJ used in the reconnaissance role. The last flight of a “Samurai” Phantom should be in March 2021.

Taken from here:

https://theaviationist.com/2018/07/03/japan-air-self-defence-force-unveils-new-special-colored-f-4ej-phantom-at-hyakuri/

From the above link, it seems only 302 Hikotai ( Tactical Fighter Squadron ) will stand down their Phantoms by this year. If the above quote is true, then Hyakuri will still have 301 & 501 Hikotais when you get there next year.  But I guess we'll have to wait & see if that's true.

And Luigi, no worries. We all understand your frustration with Hasegawa's policy of "grab-it-now-or-wait-20-years-for-it-again". I feel the same way about Fujimi and their 1/72 Skyhawks, Intruders, Corsair IIs, and (until Airfix's release), their British Phantoms too. They're sitting on a gold mine when it comes to these kits but they seem to focus on ships, cars, etc these days. Sigh.

By the way, could you elaborate on these 2:

No freaking F-15 S/MTD instead they released just an IFCS with incorrect markings and underscale Hornet tailplanes

That Advanced Superbug once again with messed up resin bit s

I have both the kits and would like to know more on what's wrong with them. Can I use spare Italeri/Academy/Hasegawa Hornet tailplanes to correct the F-15?

ps. Sorry for thread hijack.

Edited by JackMan

JackMan...Thanks for posting the other photos of the scheme as the wing art is great too. No doubt Hasegawa or someone else will do this in lager scales as well.....

16 hours ago, JackMan said:

To quote:

On Dec. 2, 2018, Hyakuri Airbase will celebrate the end of the 302 Hikotai’s operations with the F-4 with an airshow.

Beginning next year, the JASDF will operate only two Phantom squadrons at Hyakuri: 301 Hikotai with F-4EJs and 501 Hikotai with a variety of RF-4E and RF4EJ used in the reconnaissance role. The last flight of a “Samurai” Phantom should be in March 2021.

Taken from here:

https://theaviationist.com/2018/07/03/japan-air-self-defence-force-unveils-new-special-colored-f-4ej-phantom-at-hyakuri/

From the above link, it seems only 302 Hikotai ( Tactical Fighter Squadron ) will stand down their Phantoms by this year. If the above quote is true, then Hyakuri will still have 301 & 501 Hikotais when you get there next year.  But I guess we'll have to wait & see if that's true.

And Luigi, no worries. We all understand your frustration with Hasegawa's policy of "grab-it-now-or-wait-20-years-for-it-again". I feel the same way about Fujimi and their 1/72 Skyhawks, Intruders, Corsair IIs, and (until Airfix's release), their British Phantoms too. They're sitting on a gold mine when it comes to these kits but they seem to focus on ships, cars, etc these days. Sigh.

By the way, could you elaborate on these 2:

I have both the kits and would like to know more on what's wrong with them. Can I use spare Italeri/Academy/Hasegawa Hornet tailplanes to correct the F-15?

ps. Sorry for thread hijack.

F-15 IFCS:

Not sure about decal color accuracy for what I know they misspelled GE, the tailplanes chord is off, I'm not sure which manufacturer nailed it, I don't have any Hasegawa Hornet in my stash but I do have Italeri, Fujimi and Academy, leading edge is more thinner than Italeri and Fujimi but also more longer than Academy, they were indeed modified to be installed on the F-15 but I highly doubt they messed up with LE and what not due costs of rebuilding a canard from scratch, more issues can be found on BM forums -> topic/235022591

Advanced Super Hornet:

CFT and Enclosed Weapons Pod symmetry is out the window, I was planning to purchase more than one cause the idea of wiffing a Silent Eagle with two of those pods but upon checking the EWP contained in Hasegawa boxing I gave up on the idea

Luigi