P-47D VE Stripes question

As I m building a Tamiya P-47D in natural metal finish ( my first ever natural metal finish kit!), I was wondering how those black and white VE stripes were painted on the aircraft. 

Looking at references, I have seen photos where mechanics are painting those stripes by hand on Spitfires. In decal sheets included in Tamiya kit and other after market decals, the stripes are perfect straight lines. 

I want to know if those stripes were painted by hand or were painted using stencils in a factory? 

They weren't painted in a factory, as they were unique to ETO aircraft.  Those that went to the pacific, CBI, or MTO did not use them.

That said, how they were painted would depend on when and where they were painted.  The initial application was done more or less overnight prior to DDay, and the neatness of that application could vary considerably.  Shortly after, though, many US aircraft had the stripes "cleaned up" to be more precise and neat (crew chief pride in their work and all), and those aircraft that were delivered after the actual invasion date would likely have had the stripes applied at the depot when the theater ID stripes were added.  So those would most likely be masked and sprayed on first application.