A-10A 81 TFW RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge

• 2 weeks later...

Good job! I start to like the Euro1 camo A-10 more and more. I remember my teenage years to see them flying low level over my hometown and they had that special whisteling sound. Meanwhile I know that most of them came from GAF airfield Leipheim. So it was a bit special to the 81st TFW that time: 2 sqn belonged to the 2nd detachment in Germany. From April 1, 1979 to end of 1988 the 92nd TFS was in the detachment and after that until sept. 25, 1992 the 91st TFS. 

It was a rotation. Always a third of the sqn was in south Germany. Anybody knows what was the job of the 78th bushmasters in Woodbridge? AFAIK they did not join the detachments!?

That's why I would like to build such a hog from the 92nd or the 91st TFS. But the Xtradecal sheet 006-48 is oop!! Too bad....

The 91st has my fave: I like the blue and white stripe on top of the rudders!

According to Osprey's Superbase 3, Ramstein, the 81TFW had 6 squadrons spread across RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge, for a total of ~100 A-10A's. 

78th and 91st TFS were at Woodbridge, while 92nd, 509th, 510th and 511th at Bentwaters. 

All 6 squadrons took rotation to the forward operating bases in Germany, each deployment consisting of 8 aircraft at a time. 

Detachment 1 was at Sembach, Detachment 2 at Leipheim, Detachment 3 at Ahlhorn and Detachment 4 at Norvenich 

• 4 weeks later...