F-14D ejection seat harness and belt color

Part of the problem is that there are a number of options. No 2 seats are "exactly" the same! Especially considering wear and tear and the age of the seat. Hardest thing to pin down is the belt colour, as there isn't one that I have found that looks right. The belts have a metallic appearance to them that is not available without mixing. 

FWIW.

M

12 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Wow, 115 views and not 1 answer of help!

I'm disappointed. This wouldn't have happened over on the helicopter forum.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Tim

Maybe 115 people were curious to know the same thing.

Like Matt said, no two are alike. I usually look at a number of photos and select paints from my stash that look close enough, maybe mix in a little silver to give it the metallic sheen. Its always worked for me.

12 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Maybe 115 people were curious to know the same thing.

That's the reason I looked at the post...  I'm always looking for tips..  I go here when I want to look at ejection seats:

http://www.ejectionsite.com/frame_sg.htm

Edited by fasteagle12

I can't speak for anyone else, but during the week, I tend to look at the forum site from my cell phone.  It's a lot more difficult to respond to anything other than simple requests, for me, from my phone, than it is from my home computer.  On the weekends is when I usually get more involved in more detailed conversations....

Edited by fasteagle12
1 hour ago, hawkwrench said:

I get that, but as popular as jets are, I figured I'd get an answer back pretty quick, especially since the new Tamiya cat is out.

Tim

That may be true, but there is just no easy answer. No model paint manufacturer has specific colors for ejection seat belts. So, every modeler has to just come up with something that looks right. I've done a number of F-14s in my life but couldn't tell you now what colors I used. I am sure that every modeler here picked one from their stash or mixed something up that "looked" right. That's about as close as you're going to get. If you follow someone who is doing a F-14 build, you could ask them directly in the build forum what colors they used and hopefully they would remember and be able to tell you. But remember, since the colors of the belts vary from jet to jet, even within the same model and type of ejection seat, you may not get the colors you were hoping for, especially if you have pics of the seats in the specific aircraft you're building.

7 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Where's Darren Roberts when you need him! Lol

Tim

Just reading the thread. I wish I could help you out definitively. Like someone else posted, I think Euro I green is pretty close. Mixing in a touch of metallic will make it look closer. I'm just too lazy to do that. ☺️

I used Vallejo paints. I used Russian Uniform (924) for the seat cushion. Medium Green (850) for the belts and USA Uniform (922) for the chute risers. The belts maybe a tad dark. 

0-CB98-A3-A-445-A-447-B-A50-D-18-A359-D2

Edited by okthree
Added image.