Stages of painting?

Ok, so I’m on to my 2nd Model as an adult.

My first being the Airfix Gloster Meteor which I was really quite pleased with.

Ive been given an Italeri Tornado GR1 kit and I’m well into the build.

Ive changed paints from enamels to Vallejo Acrylics and Ive primed all parts.

The problem I’m having is, I’m struggling to understand the stages of painting.

I think I’m trying to do individual bits before putting together which is making it intricate work.

What is the general consensus on the stages of painting? 

Do you build the main body of the model and then paint or do you you paint it all then put together?? 

Edited by ross1562

Some paint before assembly.  I try to leave as many of the smaller things that stick out, like landing gear, antennas, doors, &etc. off until the end. This way, I can deal with any filling and filing before I commit to paint and then paint a complete airframe without worrying about anything overly delicate.

Don't EVER think of masking over a decal, even if it has a clearcoat. If you must airbrush after decals have been applied, lay a sheet of paper atop the decal and make sure nothing even remotely tape-like touches the decals.

Here's a sequence from plastic to finished of a 1/144 model:

cl-415-ready4paint.jpg

cl-415-white.jpg

cl-415-yellow.jpg

cl-415-red.jpg

cl-415-decals.jpg

cl-415-done0.jpg

HTH

-- 

dnl

Edited by dnl42
Added a shot of white primer needed by the yellow base coat.

Have a look at the work in progress section, some of the builds in there should give yyo an idea of how people break down the painting process.

In addition to above, I try to paint similar colours together e.g. all white bits at the same time (I use an airbrush) and paint your lighter colours first.

There is another tip in the photos posted above.

Try to decide if any part that you think might be painted along with the rest of the paint scheme, but really shouldn't be. Notice the wingtip floats were done separately, that is because they could either block other areas of the model when painted in place, or sometimes a part might create currents that you won't want to have to deal with while painting the main body and wings of your aircraft.

Paint things like that separate from the model, and add them later when you add the other tiny bits. You can still paint them in the same color session, though.

Also, this is obvious to all of us old salts,,,,,,,but, before you paint items separate from the main model, have your adhesive figured out. You need to use your favorite something other than model cement if you are attaching to a painted surface. Model cement will make a real mess of a paint job, but not hold sufficiently to actually hold the pieces in place.