ARC Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Flankerman

HMS Tabard 1/350 scale Resin KIt

One of the things I picked up at SMW Telford was a new resin kit of the Royal Navy submarine HMS Tabard - (thanks Chris for the heads-up)

This Group III T-Class sub is made by Starling Models and is an excellent kit of an iconic British WWII sub.

The resin parts come in a stout cardboard box - filled with polystyrene 'worms'  to protect the contents....

350_HMS%20Tabard_01.jpg

The 8-page instruction booklet is well printed with eay to follow steps....

350_HMS%20Tabard_02.jpg

350_HMS%20Tabard_03.jpg

Note the two types of gun emplacement.

350_HMS%20Tabard_04.jpg

Colour painting guide.

350_HMS%20Tabard_05.jpg

Superbly cast one-piece hull - with some 'flash' - but no air holes or bubbles - excellent casting :worthy:

350_HMS%20Tabard_06.jpg

The rest of the resin parts.

350_HMS%20Tabard_07.jpg

Gun barrels from Mastermodel, etched brass fret and decal sheet.

This is a quality kit of an important British submarine - and if it proves as popular as it should, we hopefully can expect more from Starling Models.

I can't wait to get started.

Ken

I have made a start......

I cleaned up some casting 'flash' and washed the parts in warm soapy water and made a start on adding the decking parts.

I had thought that the etched brass decking would simply be stuck down onto a flat deck to provide detail - but it is much better than that!

The etched parts are actually grilles that fit over recesses moulded into the deck - just like the real thing!

So before adding them I painted the recesses Panzer Grey - on the grounds that it would be easier than trying to paint inside the recesses AFTER the grilles were in place.

Not like me to be thinking ahead...............

350_HMS%20Tabard_08.jpg

In the above photo, the front torpedo hatches, an open weave forward grille and a closer weave rear grilles have been added - with more still to add.

This really is a quality kit - I am very impressed :worthy:  :thumbsup:

More later

Ken

Decking complete.......

350_HMS%20Tabard_09.jpg

It really is quite delicate - but perfectly etched..........

350_HMS%20Tabard_10.jpg

There is a slight mistake on the instruction shet - where the part numbers don't agree with the numbers on the etch....

For example part 8 on the instruction sheet is actually 10 on the etched fret, instruction sheet part 10 is etched as part 9 and part 9 on the instruction sheet is on the fret - but not numbered !

Minor errors and easily identifiable.

Ken

If anyone is still following ???

A little more progress.........

The kit supplies the propeller housings - and very delicate castings they are!........

350_HMS%20Tabard_11.jpg

The modeller has to supply the prop shafts - either from plastic or brass rod - BUT the instructions quote their length as 5mm -

instead of the correct 11mm (according to my measuring)........

350_HMS%20Tabard_12.jpg

The deck guns - QF 4in and 20mm Oerlikon - are each made up from a resin breech and a mounting pedestal -

with a turned metal barrel provided by Master-Model of Poland.

The parts are tiny - almost at the limit of my eyesight and dexterity - but they make up into stunning models in their own right.....

the 4in even has a hole at the sharp end !!

350_HMS%20Tabard_13.jpg

For reference - the 4in (left)  is just 15mm long  :analintruder:

The instructions continue to have silly errors with the numbering of parts - there is no mention of the 4in's mounting pedestal (part 7) and the

20mm resin parts are 8 & 9 - not 7 as quoted on the instruction diagram.

These minor quibbles aside, this really is a stunning kit - you just need a degree in Micro Surgery to do it justice!!

Although..... if I can do it, anyone can.

Ken

A little more.....

The first coat of Halfords Grey Plastic Primer shows all that nice detail...........

350_HMS%20Tabard_14.jpg

....especially the excellent etched decking - most realistic..... :worthy:

350_HMS%20Tabard_15.jpg

Ken