US Navy terminology question.

Basically, anything that would be sold in the squadron spaces is at the gee-dunk. There is usually a corner with candy bars, chips, sodas that sort of thing so that the squadron members can pick up something quick while at work. Also sold there is all of the squadron swag. This could include everything from patches to coins to tshirts, whatever. All the profits from said sales usually go towards the squadron Christmas party or something similar.

Hoops

I thought the geedunk was a lot broader than aviation--the naval equivalent of the merchant slop chest. In the 70s at least, a case of beer was cheaper than a case of soda!

7 minutes ago, Grey Ghost 531 said:

The geedunk is where you buy pogey bait. The scuttlebutt is usually on the deck right outside the hatch up against the bulkhead. Watch out for the knee knockers and head bangers.

Let's see how good my translation skills are. ☺️  The shop/store is where you buy snacks. The drinking fountain is usually on the deck right outside the door up against the wall. Watch out for the water-tight door frames.

haha, I knew that this thread would evolve

Now we have a place to send newbies (they weren't noobs back then) to get us a bucket of prop wash. (and all the things that others will probably type in, lol)

6 hours ago, habu2 said:

scuttlebutt = water cooler talk e.g. rumors always exchanged when hanging out at the water cooler - when you have nothing better to do

That's what I thought it meant as well. But then I was reading an article on Navy terminology and it said scuttlebutt was originally the actual water cooler/fountain. 

I heard from my long time ago ex brother in law who was on the USS Roosevelt CVA-42 the Geedunk was the ship's store. There you could by smokes, toiletries, candy, etc.. Mt dad used to refer to government items that they acquired through five finger discount as comshaw. Such as I comshawed a package of pencils or something like that. 

-Geedunk in the USN has the same meaning of the USMC term "pogey bait," i.e, candy,  fatty foods & drinks that can contribute to turning into a fat body. Extremely frowned upon especially in the infantry, & the Recon/Force Recon & Raider (MARSOC) communities where top peak physical condition is mandatory. Failure to meet decathalon type condition or fall out of something when you're not dead & you're done.  Marine Corps as a whole because our very strict height to weight ratios & BMI standards are so strict that you can get booted out for failing to meet or maintain the standard as it applies to individual. Same stuff to stay away from even as a civvie. Stay lean & clean!

-Scuttlebutt is a drinking fountain & the other completely non-related meaning are rumor/passing word that has not been confirmed or general conjecture & sometimes possibly true activity that is being passed amongst sailors or Marine's in groups or one on one. The unconfirmed Passing of the "word" summarizes it fairly well.

General meanings I as I remember over my time in & they remain in use today. You get the picture.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns