US Navy terminology question.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

We always used scuttlebutt = gouge or rumors. 

Some of the best times were at the dirty shirt for midrats - sliders, rollers, autodog and drinking bug juice. 

We never used "gouge" to mean rumors; only for valid information. It was more used for meaning passdown information at shift change, hints and tips for troubleshooting, deployment schedule information...all of this was "the gouge". Really important info was "the good gouge". I guess rumors could be "bum gouge" in some cases. ...unless the rumors proved true...then they'd be "the good gouge".

Scuttlebutt goes all the way back to the days of sail when drinking water was served out of a wooden "butt" or barrel on the deck of the ship. Maybe they stored the drinking water on the edge of the deck near a scuttle?

Back when I was a newbie the shop sent me out on one of these quests. I think it was for a "speed gate" which is just an electronic pulse in the radar circuitry. Had gotten the good gouge on this trick so I just went over to the geedunk and had me some pogey bait for a couple of hours. Then I went back to the shop and said I couldn't find any speed gates at supply and they laughed and I laughed and life went on.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
2 hours ago, Grey Ghost 531 said:

Scuttlebutt goes all the way back to the days of sail when drinking water was served out of a wooden "butt" or barrel on the deck of the ship. Maybe they stored the drinking water on the edge of the deck near a scuttle?

The "butt" was opened, i.e. had a hole in it, thus scuttled. Originally "scuttled butt".