KittyHawk MIG-25 intake 1:48

Hello all!

appology wasn’t active here for long time. Only reading 😉. At least now I get models built!

q: I’m in progress of detailing the Kittyhawk MiG-25 PD/PDS 1:48. Is there any help around to “create” engine intakes? I mean to fill that big nothing behind the false and to be removed fod covers? Any ideas if not? Anyone did it and has pics “how”?

there are seamless intakes for F-15 around. Was thinking of adapting those. Inaccurate but better than nothing....

thank you for any input!

Skyraider/Leander

Haven't heard of anyone building out the full intakes. XMM make intakes for the ICM Mig-25s. I have no idea if they could be made to fit the Kitty Hawk kit. Eduard does make a set of FOD covers, which I would assume are the "real" FOD covers, not the mess that Kitty Hawk did with the intake ramp.

Also remember that the Kitty Hawk kit has the wrong exhaust nozzles for the PD/PDS version. They used the long version used on recon Mig-25s. The interceptor versions used a shorter nozzle. I think there are a number of aftermarket nozzles available though Barracuda Studios is the only one I can find. Finally, the nose cross section is wrong. Barracuda and Cold War Studio make correction set for that.

So, depending on how accurate you want to make the kit, you may have your work cut out for you, not to mention the dent in your bank account. 😉

You can forget about those XMM intakes; they just won't fit the Kitty Hawk kit (ask me how I know). :doh:

Fortunately for me, I won a bid on evilBay for some Click2Detail samples specifically cast for that kit.

2E2kDrW.jpg

After receiving these intakes, I noticed that the difference between these and the XMM ones is quite noticeable, namely, the height and the curve for the main landing gear wells on the sides of the trunks.

Click2Detail no longer exists, but there's a set popping up on evilBay from time to time - be aware, the price for one set might get to be two (or three) times worth that of the Kitty Hawk kit price.

Cheers,

Onigiri

2-3 times the cost of the Kitty Hawk kit for the C2D intakes? Sell the kitty hawk kit, buy the ICM one and you'd still have money for the XMM corrected intakes, not that they are necessary if you aren't a rivet counter. And you'd have a better fit and overall better shape accuracy.

Edited by Inquisitor

I remember bidding for a C2D set once (they didn't show up that often), but it ended up going for much more than I was willing to pay.

Glad I didn't get it as I could have then sold my KH 25 as soon as the ICM RBT kit was announced. It was logical to expect they'll release a PD as well, sooner or later. Plus, I got the RBT as well (regarding which I guess I should have waited for the Revell rebox which somewhat corrected the nose).

Edited by ijozic
8 hours ago, ijozic said:

I remember bidding for a C2D set once (they didn't show up that often), but it ended up going for much more than I was willing to pay.

Yes, you don't see the C2D trunks too often on eBay. How much did they go for, do you happen to remember?

8 hours ago, ijozic said:

Glad I didn't get it as I could have then sold my KH 25 as soon as the ICM RBT kit was announced. 

Couldn't help but feel kind of relieved after watching how narrow and undersized the trunks on the ICM kits were! At least XMM corrected those. 

Cheers,

Onigiri

On 11/23/2018 at 9:58 PM, Doppelgänger said:

Yes, you don't see the C2D trunks too often on eBay. How much did they go for, do you happen to remember?

Couldn't help but feel kind of relieved after watching how narrow and undersized the trunks on the ICM kits were! At least XMM corrected those. 

It was a long time ago, but at least 25-30 Euros, perhaps even somewhat more.

I saw the undersized trunk, but from what I've read, they were going for that optical effect as perhaps they couldn't fit the full trunks.

Certainly seems far better than IIRC no trunks in the much more expensive KH kit (not to mention the fictional intake covers instead of ramps and that's not even the biggest problem with the kit, like e.g. the nose shape or the wrong exhausts).

5 hours ago, ijozic said:

Certainly seems far better than IIRC no trunks in the much more expensive KH kit (not to mention the fictional intake covers instead of ramps and that's not even the biggest problem with the kit, like e.g. the nose shape or the wrong exhausts).

Were it for the nose shape on the Kitty Hawk Foxbat, I've already taken care of that by purchasing Stenka's resin correction nose. I'm waiting for him to finish his MiG-23 ML 1/48 resin correction nose for the Trumpy kit and the pylons for the Kitty Hawk Fitter kit to order the corrected ventral strakes for the MiG-25 kit, which are wrong in the ICM kit as well.

Still haven't been able to fathom what's exactly wrong about the belly shape on the Kitty Hawk kit, if they look exactly the same when compared to the ICM one. Haven't got the pictures at hand to post them, but I looked at the plastic side to side.

Cheers,

Onigiro

2 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

and the pylons for the Kitty Hawk Fitter kit to order the corrected ventral strakes for the MiG-25 kit, which are wrong in the ICM kit as well.

Me too, plus the Mig-23 intakes. Oh and the Su-27 main gear bays. I SO want to give him my money 😉

5 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Were it for the nose shape on the Kitty Hawk Foxbat, I've already taken care of that by purchasing Stenka's resin correction nose. I'm waiting for him to finish his MiG-23 ML 1/48 resin correction nose for the Trumpy kit and the pylons for the Kitty Hawk Fitter kit to order the corrected ventral strakes for the MiG-25 kit, which are wrong in the ICM kit as well.

Still haven't been able to fathom what's exactly wrong about the belly shape on the Kitty Hawk kit, if they look exactly the same when compared to the ICM one. Haven't got the pictures at hand to post them, but I looked at the plastic side to side.

Cheers,

Onigiro

It's not the belly. It's how the sides gradual transition from flat aft of the wheel wells to round at the rear end in the real plane. While KH kit remains flat all the way down to the strakes and sharply transition to round. I already posted an image and explanation in the original KH MiG-25 Thread. On the posted image, there's a panel line on the red line, below it shaded in red that area those panels are curved in the real plane while KH that area is flat.

Edited by Inquisitor
17 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

I already posted an image and explanation in the original KH MiG-25 Thread. On the posted image, there's a panel line on the red line, below it shaded in red that area those panels are curved in the real plane while KH that area is flat.

That picture explains it all, Inquisitor; thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

It should be posted on this thread for all of those interested.

Cheers,

Onigiri

6 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

That picture explains it all, Inquisitor; thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

It should be posted on this thread for all of those interested.

Cheers,

Onigiri

On the next page on the thread flankerman posted a series of pictures of a MiG-25 airframe and you can see clear the curvature of those couple of panels.

10 minutes ago, Inquisitor said:

On the next page on the thread flankerman posted a series of pictures of a MiG-25 airframe and you can see clear the curvature of those couple of panels.

Indeed! I saw them as well, thanks. Ah, that Mr @Flankerman... what would we do without him to show us his (bare knees?) great collection of pictures of the many Russian aircraft he's had the bliss to see up close and personal.

With regard to the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Foxbat kit now, I think it's possible to correct some of that lack of curvature at the rear end. At least I'm willing to try now that I know what and where the flaw is located.

Cheers Inquisitor! (or what is your real name like?).

Onigiri