Group builds. really people?

Right, had this huge call for group builds. We changed things up a bit and got two going. One has a little interest and one is.......well..... Surprisingly small interest for such a good subject.

If you want to give ideas, great. please do. But if your not going to participate with anything when you say you are, then do not complain when we do not have any. There is still a couple months left. Lots of time for some simple builds. Or finish the ones you started.

The Revell group build shows that the quick start idea has potential. I am also surprised the Top Gun build is off to a slow start.  I am not helping too much I seem to have neglected by build thread, but I made a lot of progress with the model.

At this point maybe we can take a break for a few months and see if there is interest after the holidays.

I think it is more of a reflection of how many kits get started and never finished. No mater what the time frame is, many people won't complete the kit.

In the present RevelloGram build we have 20 entries (each person is 1 entry) with 6 finishes. Again I'm not counting multiple builds only people.

In a GB before RevelloGram, Mig Killers, there were 17 enteries with only 6 finishes. And a mod that quit moding for 80% of the build. It isn't saying much for

for "staying with the program":dontknow:

Do you think there would be any interest in a world war one group build? Marking the end of the conflict 100 years ago? I have a biplane I would love to doDo you think there would be any interest in a world war one group build? Marking the end of the conflict 100 years ago? I have a biplane I would love to do

8 minutes ago, CorsairMan said:

Do you think there would be any interest in a world war one group build? Marking the end of the conflict 100 years ago? I have a biplane I would love to doDo you think there would be any interest in a world war one group build? Marking the end of the conflict 100 years ago? I have a biplane I would love to do

Apply, get the votes. I think its a good idea, but its not really one that appeals to me. The end of the conflict, 100 years ago. That is a great idea.

I love group builds. It gets me to build a certain subject I might not otherwise have done. What i don't really like are the "rules" of the group build. To me, a group build is to have everyone join together in building a certain subject. A bit of camaraderie, if you will. But should there actually be rules to it? I got burned by the Monogram build when I had to post in-progress pictures. I don't have time to stop and take pictures. I just want to build it and show it. Maybe if you just gave a time frame and a subject and let it go, there would be more involvement. It could be that I just have the wrong idea of a group build.

I am not big on the photos as you go either. After building the Phantom , Hornet and others as many times as I have there is little new to show. Of course Darrin you could always host a GB yourself with whatever rules you like. We tend to build the same subjects so I know any GB you hosted would get an entry or two from me.

Well why not just call it Critique Corner or Display Case then? What would be the difference? Frankly I find it interesting to see how others build up a kit. Plus

there are valuable tips and techniques to be had.  After all, the word BUILD means what? And you will still have the same percentage of those who say they are going to build

something but don't vs those that will build something. :sunrevolves:

I suspect that the need for the build pictures is to show that it was actually built during the time period and not just someone posting the same finished model over and over again on different boards. While I'm sure nowadays such photos could be faked to a certain extent and one could of course have two boxings of the same kit to show open box at start and finished product later, I believe most people actually want to build during the group build so just a few pictures along the way should be enough, you don't need to write a book on it. Of course actually finishing something is another matter for many of us, Phantom excluded......

I think having some in progress shots is important so we can see the model come together. I know I go to the extreme with lots of pictures and excruciatingly painful detail.  I like to have threads to document what I did and how I did it. I have looked back at some of my first build threads, and even in just a few years I think I have come pretty far and can not believe the things I used to do.

Maybe at least one post to shaw what you start with,  then maybe one in progress post would be sufficient. This is also important if the GB has prizes to ensure the build occurred during the group build period.

So the goal of the group build is to get ppl participate on working on a common topic.

If you just post finish pics how is that participation?  Now the rule disent say you need pics of all the steps in the instructions manual either. Just a couple main one are fine. 

I loved group builds in the past as i saw someone building the same kit as me in the same time frame and i was learning from the other build as im building mine. The contex weather it be paint used details added was pertinent.

When looking at the global in progress its different you see tons of diversity that are amazing but dosent relate to you imediate buil. 

The other point is called timeboxing. Im a software engineer and we use this all the time achieve goals and its extremely efficient. It makes the team set a pace to acheve the goal and also detemin what should make it and what should be done in the nex timebox. I.e in this case build this kit with x amout of am is not possible at my pase for this time. Do i use less am, different wethering of chose a different subject.  Witch shoudl help in prefenting the shelf Queens!

I think the spirut needs to come back before GB's really work again.

I know my biggest problem is its such a hassle to post pics now that photobucket isnt as easy to use anymore. Plus i am not the most phone savy person on linking pics.  I can easily post pics on facebook but not on this site. 

Maybe one way is to post the pics to the facebook page for the group builds ane someone(moderator etc) could post them under the GB ?  

Also i kinda get bummed when someone is building the same model/decal combo as me. My models look fantastic from about 10 feet away.... i am my worst critic.

Edited by adamitri
Added stuff

I'm beginning to realize that I have a different perception of a group build. To me, it's simply assigning a topic and saying "have at it". We do that in my modeling club all the time. This obviously isn't what most on here view as a group build, and that's okay. Now I understand where everyone is coming from. 

8 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'm beginning to realize that I have a different perception of a group build. To me, it's simply assigning a topic and saying "have at it". We do that in my modeling club all the time. This obviously isn't what most on here view as a group build, and that's okay. Now I understand where everyone is coming from. 

And, you make good models too.