Group builds. really people?

I never understood what the draw is with GBs. The rules seem to be to be unnecessarily constraining, and any deadline with this hobby is a big turn off  for me (as the rest of my life is deadline driven). So I never participated in one. 

BUT, as far as the GBs on ARC are concerned, I can see myself quite interested in following them IF they were not buried at the bottom of the main page.

In the "In-progress Pics" section, if there was a single thread pre-marked "GB:..." that contained all the builds  (with possibly subthreads for each build thereon), I would be much more inclined to follow/comment. I can see many other members here to be much more aware of these GBs if it were closer to the high-traffic threads like the in progress pics. 

"as far as the GBs on ARC are concerned, I can see myself quite interested in following them IF they were not buried at the bottom of the main page"

You're not the only member that has made a similar statement. Maybe the higher ups could do something about that? :wave:

It was moved higher when we started the Revell GB.

I like to use the "unread content" button on the forum to see new posts regardless of the category.  It is worth a try so you do not need to hunt for new posts.

Edited by Kurt H.

I was off to a good start on the Revell/Monogram GB and finished a build. I was also off to a good start on the Top Gun GB...I mean, I was building a freakin' Tamiya Tomcat!  Unfortunately, that ground to a halt in mid-September when I got deployed to the Mariana Islands for a disaster (I work in Emergency Management). I came home a month later, had an ADD moment and started another kit, then got deployed to another disaster, which is where I currently find myself). I hope to get home by Christmas, though...and that should give me plenty of time to finish up the Tomcat ahead of the deadline...and maybe even get to that TA-4J! Or the Monogram F-5F I was going to build as my second entry to the Revell/Monogram GB.

I wonder if it has something to do with people thinking their photos are not good enough? I know I worry about how the composition is set up, and lighting when I take under construction stuff. I have a photo area permanently set up near my model room so it does make it a bit easier. My friend just takes cell phone pics at his model desk. Personally I think that is difficult to do for me at least.

Also. maybe the way pictures are uploaded to this site dissuades some people? Take FB or HS for instance. It is now easier to show your work. Just go to your drive and upload to your post. For ARC you have to have some sort of hosting service and a few more steps to go through. Just throwing out ideas here and not criticizing anyone or anything.

Or everyone has good intentions but life gets in the way.

I used to be gung-ho for group builds.  Nowadays, I'm hardly on the forums.  I'm so immersed in social media pages on Facebook, that I simply don't visit the forums anymore.  Also, the biggest thing for me is forgetting to take in-progress photos, then having to upload them to a hosting site, then upload them here.  Add in the editing and I simply lose interest.  Posting photos on social media is just faster for a lot of people.

Also, maybe there are too many group builds going on at a given time?  I'm thinking limit the number of GB's per year and maybe have longer time frames?  Just spit balling it as, like I said before, I'm hardly on the forums anymore.

21 hours ago, Colin K said:

Also, maybe there are too many group builds going on at a given time?  I'm thinking limit the number of GB's per year and maybe have longer time frames?  Just spit balling it as, like I said before, I'm hardly on the forums anymore.

There's only 2 running here at the moment, on another forum I frequent the group build scene is going from strength to strength, with 22 GBs running over this year and up to 6 at any one time they are well subscribed. Next year the calendar is already full with another 22 GBs scheduled.

There seems to be a small core here that are interested and contribute, it seems like only the hosts comment or post regularly to try an keep interest up. With a small member base willing to commit and document their progress the GBs seem to be 'ghost townish'.

I had originally considered starting a thread in the Revell GB but other GB commitments on other sites and club builds for a club annual display pushed my build way down the build list, I did start it but have not taken many pictures. I suppose I am contributing to the lethargy here regarding GBs when there are more interesting (to me) subject matter for GBs offered elsewhere.

I've said this before-I don't know why there aren't "pinned" group builds here. Seems to me a permanent F-14 Tomcat group build would be a no-brainer on ARC.  Of the ones I've participated in, PTO, ETO, Heavies and Shelf Queens have also been popular builds that draw interest.

Edited by WymanV
4 hours ago, WymanV said:

I've said this before-I don't know why there aren't "pinned" group builds here. Seems to me a permanent F-14 Tomcat group build would be a no-brainer on ARC.  Of the ones I've participated in, PTO, ETO, Heavies and Shelf Queens have also been popular builds that draw interest.

How does the permanent GB work? I do not think I have seen that one, sounds like a neat idea. phantom and myself could keep an F-4 GB going forever. 

6 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

How does the permanent GB work? I do not think I have seen that one, sounds like a neat idea. phantom and myself could keep an F-4 GB going forever. 

This is true!

On 11/25/2018 at 7:21 PM, Trojan Thunder said:

There's only 2 running here at the moment, on another forum I frequent the group build scene is going from strength to strength, with 22 GBs running over this year and up to 6 at any one time they are well subscribed. Next year the calendar is already full with another 22 GBs scheduled.

That forum is a lot more active (in fact it seems to be the last really active modeling forum following the Photo bucket Armageddon. 

But people there take a much more vibrant approach towards group builds. I don't know what it is, but I wish I could bottle that sentiment and keep it for later.