ARC Discussion Forums
dnl42

Monogram 1/48 "Miller SNJ"

Decals look much better then I expected. 

Yah, I was concerned. That's why I did the one on the stabilizer--try small in case they went south. The fit is nice, but they are goopy and the finish is a little rough. But, I do think I'll finish with them...

It's getting to be Miller Time!

snj-decal1.jpg

I've got enough decals on that I want to let them dry list I damage them.

I am glad that you went with the Miller Time decals.  I wanted to see what it would look like in that scheme and it looks good.  Sometimes those old decals go on rough but they settle down fine.

The decals are almost all on.

snj-decal2.jpg

snj-decal3.jpg

All but 2 went on nicely. The top left wing stripe and bottom right wing stripe (left on the this view) are very prune-like :bandhead2:

Prune-like, like this...:OMG-OMG:

snj-decal4.jpg

Ouch .. that is some pretty gnarly texture. Did it eventually settle down and smooth out a bit?

Couple more coats of decal solution.

That's what I've been trying. Between leaving it alone for a few days during a business trip, and Micro Sol, it has improved.

But, it may just be that's just as good as it gets. The good news it's only 2 of the decals, but bad news is that one's up top. :dontknow:

There was a little voice telling me to paint those dang stripes! :bandhead2:

Striving to be better, oft we mar what's well.

I'm going to have to live with that hideous upper wing stripe, lest I take a major step backwards.

The exhaust is painted and the engine is on. One thing I've never been happy with are my renditions of recognition lights. I've tried painting, reflecting things, and all manner of approaches. I was pretty happy with wing-tip lights on my XF5F painted with red and green Sharpies, so I figured I'd try that with the recognition lights. As they apparently had shiny bezels, I cut disks of Al foil with the #6 punch on my Waldron punch set and glued them in place for the bezels. I then colored more foil with sharpies, punched disks with the #5 punch, and glued them atop. I need to get a good marker for the "amber" light, but these aren't too horrible...

snj-recognition.jpg