Kitty Hawk 1/48 Su-17 / 22

Hi All

Just started working on the 1/48 Su-22 by Kitty Hawk.   So far really enjoying it, but concerned the landing gear isn't very strong as seems thin.  Has anyone built this kit and can comment if their landing gear has warped due to the weight of the aircraft over time?

Thank you for your help.

Jon

Hi Jon

The landing gear on mine has not warped, but it's very wobbly whenever I have to lift the kit in order to dust. When I place the kit back on its landing gear, it's awful wobbly; it moves sideways. I've made a cardboard craddle so that it supports the kit on the fuselage instead.

Hope a brass landing gear for it pops up in the near future. 

Cheers,

Onigiri

That was really helpful, thanks guys, I'm thinking brass gear as well as I don't think the white metal ones out right now will be strong enough either.  Will go ahead with plastic for now.

Worked on the cockpit last night and ready for priming.  I really like the way the cockpit was laid out.  Going to try and paint all the parts before assembly and hoping fit is good enough that I don't have to repaint/touchup the cockpit after assembled.  Still not sure what colour (shade of gray) that cockpit is.

Jon,

Something useful I've forgot to tell you I found on the Internet regarding the nose landing gear I did on my kit to reinforce it.

f9iSBB3.jpg

The addition of a brass axle really helps reinforcing it. Then, shaving the ends is to correct the width of it.

yeyezxu.jpg

Hope it's of use to you.

Cheers,

Onigiri

Thanks, good tip Onirgiri :-)

One thing I've noticed about the kit was how fine some of the edges are... trailing edges of the wings, intake, strakes etc.  Not a bad kit at all from what I've seen.  Some weird engineering, but could tell they are trying.

I'm going to try and modify the intake spike as the mounts are wrong.  I know there is aftermarket, but want to do this one myself.

3 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

I'm going to try and modify the intake spike as the mounts are wrong.  I know there is aftermarket, but want to do this one myself.

If you mean the nose cone piece that sits in the middle of the forward intake, then yes, it is very poorly done. There are a number of replacement parts being made for it. HAD models, Katran, and Cold War Studio make replacements.

On 11/21/2018 at 2:57 PM, Mstor said:

There are a number of replacement parts being made for it. HAD models, Katran, and Cold War Studio make replacements.

:doh: Well, yes, Jon has clearly stated:

On 11/21/2018 at 11:15 AM, Jonathan S said:

I know there is aftermarket, but want to do this one myself.

Mstor, mate; which part in, "I know there is aftermarket, but want to do this one myself", didn't you quite understand...?

Cheers,

Onigiri

10 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

Mstor, mate; which part in, "I know there is aftermarket, but want to do this one myself", didn't you quite understand...?

Cheers,

Ouch, you are painfully correct. My bad. Don't know why I missed that. Sorry Jon. 😩

20 hours ago, Mstor said:

Ouch, you are painfully correct. My bad. Don't know why I missed that. Sorry Jon. 😩

No worries, you pointed me to an aftermarket shock cone I had not seen yet.  Still will likely modify.  I'm meaning this to be a quick build.

The ejection seat has about 20 parts!  In the end, only one seam needs smoothing, across the top and that was pretty easy.  I have not judged for accuracy.

Going to prime the cockpit this weekend and still not sure which grey to use.

Once I get further along I'll post some photos.

2 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

No worries, you (Mstor) pointed me to an aftermarket shock cone I had not seen yet.  Still will likely modify. 

Jon, I've got the HAD Models resin cone and it just go halfway back. Cold War Studio's go all the way back to the front of both the nose landing gear bay and cockpit. Didn't know about the one by Katran.

a1OIJqi.jpg

When I saw this pic, I still hadn't bought the resin correction bit for my kit, and I figured that it wouldn't be so difficult to scratchbuild the whole intake trunk following the cone.

2 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

I have not judged for accuracy.

ETqiMSy.jpg

Shapewise, the Kitty Hawk Fitter kit is currently the best in 1/48, hands down. The Hobby Boss kit is a joke by comparison. The forward fuselage is all wrong, and the windshield is wrong as well.

Cheers,

Onigiri

22 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

Shapewise, the Kitty Hawk Fitter kit is currently the best in 1/48, hands down. The Hobby Boss kit is a joke by comparison. The forward fuselage is all wrong, and the windshield is wrong as well.

Cheers,

Isn't there some sort of problem with the Kitty Hawk aft bottom fuselage? Cold War Studio make a correction for it. Not sure if it applies to both the Su-17 and the Su-22. They did have different engines.

Hi there, Mstor, my mate!

There is a problem with regard to the bottom fuselage shape on the Kitty Hawk kit, indeed. Certainly, Cold War Studio came in aid for this shape issue as well - I've also got that correction set.

The banana-shaped bottom fuselage is common to both Kitty Hawk kit versions, as it's exactly the same kit in the single seat versions. The Cold War Studio bit corrects all of the Kitty Hawk kit versions, but the difference lies in those R-29-engined aircraft, which exhaust area is bigger (as in the old Smer kits).

Cheers,

Onigiri  

4 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Hi there, Mstor, my mate!

There is a problem with regard to the bottom fuselage shape on the Kitty Hawk kit, indeed. Certainly, Cold War Studio came in aid for this shape issue as well - I've also got that correction set.

The banana-shaped bottom fuselage is common to both Kitty Hawk kit versions, as it's exactly the same kit in the single seat versions. The Cold War Studio bit corrects all of the Kitty Hawk kit versions, but the difference lies in those R-29-engined aircraft, which exhaust area is bigger (as in the old Smer kits).

Cheers,

Onigiri  

So, if I were modeling a Su-22 then I wouldn't need the fuselage correction? If so, I bought it for nothing :dontknow:

26 minutes ago, Mstor said:

So, if I were modeling a Su-22 then I wouldn't need the fuselage correction? If so, I bought it for nothing :dontknow:

Mstor, fella (what's your real name like, mate? I'm Onigiri, and you've got to tell me what your name is if you want to be mates).

The Kitty Hawk 1/48 Fitter kits all suffer from a banana-shaped belly. You do need the Cold War Studio resin fuselage set to correct this issue on them. What I'm trying to tell you is that the Su-22 export versions had the Tumanskiy R-29 engine, which rear fuselages differ from those with the Lyulka AL-21F engines.

You dig what I'm saying, my mate? Here:

iT2CU7d.jpg

The dark grey is the Cold War Studio resin correction bit, which does get rid of the banana, but doesn't deal with the different rear fuselage ends and exhausts of the Fitters endowed with the Tumanskiy engines (Hungarian Su-22s, for instance).

Or don't you wish to be mates with me? :crying:

Cheers,

Onigiri

2 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Mstor, fella (what's your real name like, mate? I'm Onigiri, and you've got to tell me what your name is if you want to be mates).

The Kitty Hawk 1/48 Fitter kits all suffer from a banana-shaped belly. You do need the Cold War Studio resin fuselage set to correct this issue on them. What I'm trying to tell you is that the Su-22 export versions had the Tumanskiy R-29 engine, which rear fuselages differ from those with the Lyulka AL-21F engines.

You dig what I'm saying, my mate? Here:

iT2CU7d.jpg

The dark grey is the Cold War Studio resin correction bit, which does get rid of the banana, but doesn't deal with the different rear fuselage ends and exhausts of the Fitters endowed with the Tumanskiy engines (Hungarian Su-22s, for instance).

Or don't you wish to be mates with me? :crying:

Cheers,

Onigiri

Cool, thanks so much. Yea, I know about the engine differences, but didn't know if that had anything to do with the correction set. Thanks for straightening me out on that.

The name is Mark. Only problem is there are so many "Mark"s on this forum. Even if I use my last initial "S" I would still get confused with Mark S of Wolfpack decals (I think). So, just Mark, and we'll let everyone try to figure it out :hmmm::thumbsup: