1/48 Academy U-2S Dragon Lady, 9th RW, Osan AB, 2016

Hi all!

I would like to share one of my latest completed projects, the 1/48 Academy U-2S Dragon Lady.  I actually finished this one about a month or so ago.  This kit consists of parts from the old Hawk molds (from well before I was even born!) with updated parts to make a modern Sierra.  So it goes without saying that this kit contains raised panel lines.  So I decided to go ahead and rescribe all of the panel lines, which I have never done before.  Let me just say, I am not so sure I will ever do this again!  I really HATE doing it, and I am pretty much terrible at it.  I found that I sometimes had to force myself to the bench for a modelling session that I knew was just scribing.  But, alas, I pushed through it.

I used some aftermarket on this one, which included a Cutting Edge ASARS II nose, Pavla Cockpit set,  and Caracal Decals.  The nose required a little work to fit, but nothing terrible.  The cockpit is very nice and dropped pretty much right in, and the decals used were quite sparse, but performed quite nicely.  

Overall, I am happy with the end result, however I am quite aware this is not my best effort.  The re-scribing just sucked the life out of my interest in this kit, and just kinda went though the motions to get it done.  

Here is what I used on this build:

Kit: 1/48 Academy U-2S  #12307

Decals: Caracal U-2R/S & ER-2 CD48126

Aftermarket: Cutting Edge ASARS II Nose, Pavla Cockpit Set

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Grey 1200 (primer base),  Gunze Aqueous FS 36118 Gunship Gray and H2 Glosss Black, Tamiya Rubber Blackand Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Airframe Aluminum, and Burnt Iron. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. Molotow Liquid Chrome also used.  Mig Ammo Deep Gray panel wash.

Without further ado, here are the pics, hope you like!

523522-16625-15.jpg

523524-16625-17.jpg

523525-16625-86.jpg

523526-16625-82.jpg

523530-16625-10.jpg

523532-16625-47.jpg

523534-16625-53.jpg

523538-16625-96.jpg

523539-16625-50.jpg

523540-16625-61.jpg

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four
On 11/22/2018 at 10:08 PM, Mstor said:

Wow, that's really impressive. I wouldn't even have room to build much less display one of those.

Thanks man!  Yeah, this thing is quite huge.  It takes up a full shelf, by itself, that normally holds three aircraft.

On 11/23/2018 at 12:27 AM, skyhawk174 said:

Wowza what a beast. You did a great job and your scribing looks fine from what I can see. I have the Italeri kit and I will use my CE update set too. Nice to see that it was not much trouble fitting.

Thanks Skyhawk!  The scribing is OK.  There are a few wayward lines and some almost straight ones... LOL

On 11/23/2018 at 2:55 AM, fulcrum1 said:

Impressive! That's a dog of a kit to work with....

Thanks Brian!  Yeah, it is not the most builder-friendly kit out there.  But it is a simple kit, that's for sure.

On 11/23/2018 at 3:03 PM, KursadA said:

Very nice! Rescribing such a big kit must have taken a lot of time. Your model captures the look of the aircraft really well.

Thanks Kursad!  Yeah, it was quite a long process to do, lots of VERY long lines on the wings.  The wings themselves took forever...

I also wanted to say I enjoyed using your decals, this was my first time using them.  I have quite a few sheets in my stash, so I look forward to doing so again in the future.

On 11/23/2018 at 3:50 PM, Taylor Durbon said:

Really cool paintscheme. Black looks never black. Well done!

Thanks Taylor!  Yep, it was a focus for me to make the black interesting.  I did so by painting the black, then doing the gloss coat, decals, then the Mig Deep Gray wash, then I sprayed Gunze Gunship Gray and Tamiya Rubber Black to create the depth and tonal variations.  I am pretty pleased how that part turned out.

On 11/23/2018 at 5:09 PM, R Spreckley said:

Niiiice 

Thanks RIchard!

On 11/28/2018 at 1:29 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

LOVE IT !! Very nice job.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the kind words!

On 11/28/2018 at 9:29 PM, Matthew83128 said:

Man that damn thing kept me up every Saturday morning doing touch and goes at Osan. It’s one of the loudest and most annoying plane I’ve ever been around. Amazing build though, great work!

Thanks Matthew!  Haha thank you for sharing your story about this aircraft, that is super cool to hear from the people that were around aircraft I have built.  🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 10:02 AM, Darren Roberts said:

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks D!

5 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

Great job on the rescribe Michael.
She turned out real nice.
That's a scary forest of antennas on the lower fuselage.
-co

Haha, thanks Cap!  THere are a lot of hockey stick-looking doodads down there.  Be afraid, be very afraid!  LOL

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four