1/48 Su-30MKM Flanker-H (Hobby Boss Su-30MKK Conversion)

Great progress - looking good so far.

Can I just point out that the raised circle below the IFR probe recess is way too prominent and needs sanding back a bit.

The raised circles (there's another one on the starboard side) are actually pop-out lights to illuminate the probe during flight refuelling - and they are pretty much flush with the surrounding skin surface.

Keep up the good work.

Ken

On 12/4/2018 at 4:08 AM, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

I am thinking it is his older conversion that uses the Academy, the cut points line up pretty perfectly to the HB kit, so I would be inclined to believe that is the case.

Good point, he's certainly made a few! 

Loving this build, it's tempting me.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:55 AM, Flankerman said:

Great progress - looking good so far.

Can I just point out that the raised circle below the IFR probe recess is way too prominent and needs sanding back a bit.

The raised circles (there's another one on the starboard side) are actually pop-out lights to illuminate the probe during flight refuelling - and they are pretty much flush with the surrounding skin surface.

Keep up the good work.

Ken

Thanks Ken!  I did not know what those circular things were, so thanks for the enlightenment!

Interestingly, they do not look quite so prominent on the model, seems the pics magnify it.  But yes, they definitely are more than almost flush.  I am a terrible re-scriber of small details, so I will have to think about whether I want to sand that down or not.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:10 AM, paulsbrown said:

Good point, he's certainly made a few! 

Loving this build, it's tempting me.

Thanks Paul!  So which one would you do?  SM, MKI, MKA, or another MKM?

On 12/6/2018 at 6:20 AM, mario krijan said:

Great work so far!!!

Thanks Mario!

Some more work done...

Got the shoulders pretty much done.  I am very pleased with the fit of the resin from Naza, and if I had spent just a little more time on pre-fitting and sanding of the cut areas I bet this would have fit perfectly.  As it is, though, I did have to throw some filler in and do some sanding, especially on the gun side.  But I am happy with where I am now. 

Apparently I have lost the gun barrel from all the handling.  I will do a thorough work area search and rescue of my work area tonight, if I can't find it I will have to consider another option.

544848-16625-98.jpg

544849-16625-62.jpg

546546-16625-48.jpg

546547-16625-90.jpg

Also added the radome and wingtip pods.  I believe I will have to modify them to be correct for this aircraft slightly.  I need to research a little more before I do so.  I think I probably should have done that first before attaching them, but it is not unusual for me to get a little ahead of myself.  LOL

As for the nosecone, I put 4 fishing weights in there.  That's a lot more than I usually do, as I am worried about all the weight at the rear with the resin vertical tails and resin AMR nozzles.  I hope it is enough, but I also hope it is not too much weight for the nose gear either.  We shall see.

546548-16625-66.jpg

546549-16625-13.jpg

546550-16625-47.jpg

Starting to look like a Flanker!!!

Update!

I have finished the intakes, the fit there is quite good. I pre-finished the insides and outsides around the opening since that would be much harder to do after assembly. Also added the resin LWS310 pods on the sides of the intakes. I had to sand down that area first as it had detail for the MKK pods that go there from the kit. I also added the doohicky that goes right in front of the IRST in front of the windscreen. Not sure what it does but it seems to be unique to the twin seat canard Flankers.

547318-16625-19.jpg

547321-16625-11.jpg

547320-16625-17.jpg

547323-16625-77.jpg

Also, while I was looking for the clear part for the rear coaming, I noticed a clear part that is unused in this kit, and interestingly it looks almost exactly like the Thales HUD! The HUD glass square fits perfectly in the frame, so it must be for that reason, maybe for a future kit? That would be cool! I did have to sand angles at the top of the square piece to make it look like the Thales piece. But I am pretty stoked with this development!

547319-16625-49.jpg

547322-16625-74.jpg

Anyway, I have a few little pieces to add, mask the windscreen and canopy, and attach the windscreen, then it will be time to prime! Starting to get excited for the next steps!!!

On 12/12/2018 at 6:45 PM, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

I also added the doohicky that goes right in front of the IRST in front of the windscreen.

That is an aerodynamic shaped 'wedge' - to divert the slipstream away from the IRST glass to keep it clean.

It isn't just on two-seaters.

Another small detail....the MKM also has four 'bird slicer' IFF antennas in front of the windscreen....

su-30_036.jpg

Great progress BTW  :worship:

Ken

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

That is an aerodynamic shaped 'wedge' - to divert the slipstream away from the IRST glass to keep it clean.

It isn't just on two-seaters.

Another small detail....the MKM also has four 'bird slicer' IFF antennas in front of the windscreen....

su-30_036.jpg

Great progress BTW  :worship:

Ken

Aaaaaand THAT is why I love this place!  Thanks Ken, great info!  As for other Flankers, I do see now it is on some others, but it appears to be considerably smaller.

Yep, still gotta do the IFF bird slicers.  I will play around with that this weekend, hopefully I can keep mine in scale and correctly positioned.  I am not the best scratch builder, but then again this is not a terribly difficult one.

A small update today, got the MKM specific lumps and bumps attached, including the IFF bird slicers.  That was a fun venture, as I am not a good scratchbuilder and it was quite tricky to get lined up correctly and evenly spaced, as well as glued into place.  Also masked and attached the windscreen.  Masking that, with the integrated IRST, was also not much fun.  LOL

548031-16625-90.jpg

548032-16625-88.jpg

548033-16625-32.jpg

Blended the windscreen and fixed a few other small gaps and primed...

548034-16625-72.jpg

548035-16625-40.jpg

548036-16625-44.jpg

Next up will be the pre-shading marble coat with Tamiya white primer. 

Thanks DIO! 

I look at it this way, once I put it on the shelf for display those angled bays won't be seen ever again.  Indeed,  there is no way to excuse such a mistake on a modern kit,  so I completely understand your trepidation, however for me it is enough to let me build the HB Flankers without reservation.  This is my blessing and my curse... I tend to be a "geed enough for me" type builder.  While I will make an effort to be as accurate as possible or to make a seam disappear completely, I do not get hung up on certain kit errors or construction flaws of my own doing.   Now, some things do bother me more than others, and if it is one of my "red line" accuracy types, then I will go aftermarket and spend more time to correct.  Anyway, I digress...  LOL

So I spent last night doing the pre-shading marble coat.  Got it all done in a little over an hour, moving as quickly as I can do ensure randomness. My airbrush hand always gets sore doing this, as sometimes I am stop and go stop and go over and over for many minutes in a row. LOL

Anyway, this is the part of the build where things really start to come together. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to lay down the base coat. Nice thing about this is the Malaysian Flanker is all one color, and I will be using Gunze H335. Considered using H337, but decided H335 is best.

548643-16625-43.jpg

548646-16625-32.jpg

548645-16625-88.jpg

On 12/10/2018 at 4:12 PM, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

As for the nosecone, I put 4 fishing weights in there. 

I'd say it's a good idea, I was surprised at how close my KH Su-35 was to being a tail sitter with the resin nozzles.

Your build is looking great, can't wait to see some paint.

6 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

I'd say it's a good idea, I was surprised at how close my KH Su-35 was to being a tail sitter with the resin nozzles.

Your build is looking great, can't wait to see some paint.

Thanks Paul, and ask and you shall receive! 

Got the base coat down last night, all good there. I am happy with the color, looks pretty right to me. Added a little bit of white to the remaining paint in the cup and painted the radome as well. In pics some radomes are considerably lighter than the rest of the jet, but in others the difference is quite subtle. I decided to go the subtle route and am happy with the look. I will need to go back in and paint a square patch of the base color around the IFF bird slicers as seen in pics, as well as the anti-glare black paint in front of the windscreen and on the canopy.  Should be about ready to decal this weekend.  Not a ton of decals or stencils on this bird, so it should not be a time-consuming task.

549170-16625-70.jpg

549171-16625-49.jpg

549172-16625-35.jpg

549173-16625-43.jpg

549174-16625-11.jpg

549175-16625-94.jpg

549176-16625-85.jpg

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four
On 12/20/2018 at 11:49 AM, Falconxlvi said:

Nice job on the paint- the marble coat really breaks up the monotony of a single color scheme.  You amaze me with how many quality builds you crank out of the workshop!  

Thanks Falcon, I appreciate the kind words!  I think my ability to complete so many models is because of several reasons... I am able to get about an hour or so each day to work on my models consistently, I only work on one model at a time, and the fact that I am not overly AMS.  Because of this I will never be a master, but it does allow me to get things done.  🙂

I have so many kits and subjects I want to build, and that drives me to keep going!

On 12/20/2018 at 1:31 PM, ching kuo said:

good .

Thanks CK!

So small update today, painted the anti-glare black in front of the windscreen and the canopy. I also painted the square patch of the fuselage color around the IFF bird slicers. Soon it will be time for the future gloss coat then decal time, but I think I will start the metalwork next.  That should be fun!

549405-16625-51.jpg

549406-16625-84.jpg

549407-16625-30.jpg

549408-16625-59.jpg

Impressive skills! :worship:

Michael, do you plan on doing something about those wingtips? The Sorbtsiyas already point way too up, when they should point downward just like the nose. The lack of a washup on the wingtips is yet another issue on the Hobby Boss kits.

Too late to try to correct the wingtips by heating, but you still could try to unglue the pods to glue them back again pointing a bit down.

Your Su-30 is looking awesome!

Cheers,

Onigiri 

8 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Looking good- bring on the Alclad!

Yessirrrrrrr!  Got the metal areas masked off and the gloss black down last night. Today will be Alclad day!

1 hour ago, Doppelgänger said:

Impressive skills! :worship:

Michael, do you plan on doing something about those wingtips? The Sorbtsiyas already point way too up, when they should point downward just like the nose. The lack of a washup on the wingtips is yet another issue on the Hobby Boss kits.

Too late to try to correct the wingtips by heating, but you still could try to unglue the pods to glue them back again pointing a bit down.

Your Su-30 is looking awesome!

Cheers,

Onigiri 

Thanks Onigiri!  Hmmm, so I was unaware of this issue with the wings and pods.  I do see it now that you mention it, and am unsure what I will do.  My lack of AMS may allow me to move on as is though, I will have to think this over.  But I DO appreciate you pointing this out to me.  If I do another HB kit in the future I will definitely try to address this early in the build.

Got the fuselage engine area metalwork mostly done now, will probably go back and tone down the bright silver areas on the top, I think they stand out a little too much. I will be also spraying this area matte, so it will also help.  I did take some pics of the painting progression as well.  Pretty happy with how this looks...

550173-16625-16.jpg

550174-16625-15.jpg

550175-16625-65.jpg

550176-16625-43.jpg

550177-16625-16.jpg

550178-16625-47.jpg

550782-16625-33.jpg

550783-16625-68.jpg

550784-16625-11.jpg

550785-16625-55.jpg

550786-16625-95.jpg

550787-16625-58.jpg