1/48 Su-30MKM Flanker-H (Hobby Boss Su-30MKK Conversion)

Michael, incredible work everytime! :worship: Congratulations.

Just to let you know; I've received a free sample of GP-08 Premium Mirror Chrome paint by Gaianotes from Japan.

It's the next thing to liquid mirror! It replicates BMF on plastic quite credibly. I've even tried buffing it, and the result was spectacular, a lot better than Alclads. Might want to give it a try to replicate the rear view mirrors on canopies as well.

Substance is quite hot and expensive, but otherwise an impressive product.

Cheers,

Onigiri 

5 hours ago, rom said:

Great work on those metal areas!

Thanks Rom!  After looking closely at the pics, I see I need to tidy up the inside demarcation line of the nacelles on the inside of the inside of the left nacelle.  That shouldn't be too difficult.  I might go in and add some violet in there as well, and still have to do the nozzles which will require some extensive work to do right.  I also do need to do some more work on the underside as well.

3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Man, you're knocking it out of the park. Looking great!

Thanks Matt!  I am really pretty happy with how this one has gone so far.  I think this one will be my favorite mode thatl I've built when I am done, assuming I don't screw it up between now and the finish line!  🙂

2 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Michael, incredible work everytime! :worship: Congratulations.

Just to let you know; I've received a free sample of GP-08 Premium Mirror Chrome paint by Gaianotes from Japan.

It's the next thing to liquid mirror! It replicates BMF on plastic quite credibly. I've even tried buffing it, and the result was spectacular, a lot better than Alclads. Might want to give it a try to replicate the rear view mirrors on canopies as well.

Substance is quite hot and expensive, but otherwise an impressive product.

Cheers,

Onigiri 

Thanks Onigiri!  I checked out the product you mentioned, and DAMN, you weren't kidding about being expensive!  I see 30mL is about $30 on Amazon.  But I may give it a try.  I wonder how this compares to Molotow?  I like to brush that stuff on for mirror parts and oleos, but sometimes it can be inconsistent.  Did you spray it?  If so, thinned with what?  I am quite interested in hearing more about your experience with it.

Just a little update...

I was able to get the main decals on last night, which was not much of a task, as there are not many. LOL  One thing, on the Fishbone decal set, the Malaysian roundel is out of register, with some white peaking out one side of the circle.  I was a bit bummed, and looked through all my decal collection to see if I had any other Malaysian roundels.  Unfortunately I did not, so I ended up applying the Fishbone ones and taking a tiny brush with the base color (H335) and very carefully covering the peaking white.  That seemed to work pretty well.  Good thing I have a steady hand!  I still have decals and formation lights to do, but I think the Fishbone formation lights are too yellow.  They need to be a bit more cream colored, so I may try to come up with something using plasticard and paint.  There are a ton of them on the AC, so we will see if I want to go through all that trouble LOL.

Anyway, she looks pretty cool with some stickers on 'er!

551476-16625-63.jpg

551479-16625-84.jpg

551477-16625-93.jpg

551480-16625-83.jpg

551478-16625-41.jpg

2 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

I see 30mL is about $30 on Amazon.  But I may give it a try.  I wonder how this compares to Molotow?  I like to brush that stuff on for mirror parts and oleos, but sometimes it can be inconsistent.  Did you spray it?  If so, thinned with what?  I am quite interested in hearing more about your experience with it.

Molotow markers never worked for me; tried foiling the mirror on canopies with Bare Metal Foil film to no avail. This product tho, it's like having some liquid mirror, the better if buffed. Clear coats almost don't affect the shine at all.

Airbrushed mine right out of the bottle on a scrap fuselage half and after 5 hours I buffed it; better than foiling with Bare Metal foil!

You've only got to be careful about the strong solvents on it, both your health and model surface, as the stuff is real hot. Label advise you use gloves when airbrushing, so a respirator mask is mandatory as well. Also the odour, if you've got no fume extractor on your workbench.

Yes, price tag is kind of expensive stuff if you ever needed to paint, say a 1/48 B-29 kit, but I don't think I can afford to do that.

Will experiment this stuff on exhausts and burnt effects on them.

Cheers Mike,

Onigiri 

7 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

🙂

Thanks Onigiri!  I checked out the product you mentioned, and DAMN, you weren't kidding about being expensive!  I see 30mL is about $30 on Amazon.  But I may give it a try.  I wonder how this compares to Molotow?  I like to brush that stuff on for mirror parts and oleos, but sometimes it can be inconsistent.  Did you spray it?  If so, thinned with what?  I am quite interested in hearing more about your experience with it.

Volks USA carries it as well. $29 a bottle!  It is currently out of stock but you would have a source here in the states.

Update time!

So I got all the decals on and put a wash on her.  Mig Ammo Deep Gray was used, as per my norm.  Love this stuff and the effect it gives!  Also added some more details.  Really not sure what the white things in the air brake interior area are, but look interesting enough I decided to add them.  

553665-16625-53.jpg

553664-16625-10.jpg

553667-16625-70.jpg

553668-16625-76.jpg

Small update: Got the final flat coat on after some minor additional weathering. I wanted to keep it a little bit low key on the weathering, so I am happy with where it is at. I also added a few more painted details. Lots of little details on this thing, and new things to do seem to keep popping up! LOL

Anyway, getting there! It's always fun to rip of the windscreen and canopy masking to see how that went. It is also one of the first real signs of getting close to the finish line!

554238-16625-81.jpg

554239-16625-52.jpg

554236-16625-85.jpg

554237-16625-21.jpg

Great looking work on this bird. I like the light weathering and grey paint work, nice and subtle and not overdone. Looking forward to seeing your finished work!

(more motivation to give up AFV for a bit and build another jet, since this kit is in my stash!)

On 12/31/2018 at 11:51 PM, Brett M said:

Great looking work on this bird. I like the light weathering and grey paint work, nice and subtle and not overdone. Looking forward to seeing your finished work!

(more motivation to give up AFV for a bit and build another jet, since this kit is in my stash!)

Thanks Brett, I appreciate the kind words!  If you do build this kit, I will be eager to follow along!

OK, update time!

Well, she is on her feet now and got the weapons done, that took quite some time, even without many decals (kit does not come with many, and I didn't want to use the training markings. 2x Kh-31s, 2x Kh-29Ts, 2x RVV-AE (R-77 export version), 2x R-73s, and one Thales Damocles pod w/NAHAR pylon. I am very happy with how these turned out, especially the Kh-31s.  Pics of MKMs show these rarely carry any weapons, so this will be a mostly fictional load, although it is possible.

Getting close, the finish line is near!!!

558833-16625-74.jpg

558834-16625-62.jpg

558835-16625-67.jpg

558836-16625-44.jpg

19 hours ago, mario krijan said:

Looks great!!! Very nice work!!

Thanks Mario, I appreciate the kind words!

17 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

Really enjoying watching this.  Going together so fast and with all that modification too!   Wow, just wow.

Thanks Jonathan, I am glad you enjoyed this build.  I really have enjoyed this, despite all the work needed to convert it.  I just love the twin seat canard Flankers so much, and the MKM is my favorite of those.  Was glad to have ya along for the ride!

14 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Nice!  I love the Kh-31s- such a cool looking missile!  Great job on the build!

Thanks, and I completely agree Falcon, the Kryptons are just one mean looking missile.  It's hard to build a Flanker and not include some.  LOL

So I got a lot accomplishedl last night, got the burner cans done (although I will hit them with a flat coat to tone them down a little) and the vertical and horizontal stabilizers, as well as the canards on. Also attached the deployed air brake and IRST clear part.

This thing REALLY looks awesome in person, and it is my favorite model that I have built so far. I am really excited to get this one done!

559706-16625-70.jpg

559707-16625-39.jpg

559708-16625-78.jpg

559709-16625-42.jpg

559710-16625-16.jpg

559711-16625-35.jpg

This will be the last update on the WIP, next up will be the final reveal in a couple days. Still have to finish the seats and canopy, as well as attach probes and pitot.

Thanks to everyone for following along, I hope you enjoyed your stay!

22 hours ago, rom said:

Awesome!

You can be proud of it.

I just find that the airbrake breaks the profile.

Anyway. Very good job!

Thanks Rom!

You know, I struggled a bit with what to do with the air brake (closed or open).  I agree with you it does tend to break up the sleek profile, but I decided to model it open for two reasons. 

1. - there are so many lumps, bumps, protrusions, dangly bits, and other things on the MKM it just kinda fit in with the subject to have it open.  With the open canopy, canards, and open air brake there is some really cool symmetry of angles these create as well.

2. - The airbrake itself is interesting.  The inside of the air break itself is the Russian yellow primer, and the fuselage has some white rectangles that add interest.  For an all gray aircraft, that little bit of yellow really pops!

20 hours ago, dustiepal said:

This is great! You do such nice quality builds.

Dave

Thanks Dave!  I really appreciate that, that is a wonderful compliment.

15 hours ago, Lucio Martino said:

Lovely !

Looking forward to your next build. 

Thanks Lucio!  Next up for me is a bit less challenging project, the Hasegawa AH-64D, although I have considerably less experience with Helos (only built two so far), so this may be more of a challenge than I am expecting.  🙂