Well I was thinking of getting the new Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24 but not now

So was on Youtube and caught this review on the new 1/32nd Hobby Boss B-24. I had actually thought about picking up this kit but not now after seeing this review. Holy cow the pieces are huge!!! I was thinking I could do one of the formation ships and in 1/32nd it would look great. I think I will stick with my regular 1/48th scale that I feel comfortable in.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the review of this kit on YouTube. WOW, that is one huge model. Unfortunately, Hobby Boss does not include nose weights that are necessary to keep the nose down. A lot of weight would be required to keep that model from being a tail sitter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 12:06 PM, Johnny_K said:

I just saw the review of this kit on YouTube. WOW, that is one huge model. Unfortunately, Hobby Boss does not include nose weights that are necessary to keep the nose down. A lot of weight would be required to keep that model from being a tail sitter.

Yup you are right. I know the landing gear is beefy but in cases like this I would build a base and secure it that way as I would be afraid that the nose weight needed would collapse the nose gear.

You are correct. The landing gear could collapse with due to the additional weight of the nose weights. This where I put the nose weights for the 1/48 scale B-24J. I don't know if this would work with the 1/32 model.

ELEPJiP.jpg

Another option is to use the crew ladder to keep the plane from sitting on it's tail. This what I did on my B-24D.

yXTXEub.jpg

Edited by Johnny_K

The clear parts for front and rear turrets are simply unusable. It was just laziness that prevented HB from choosing the same way HAS did the molding of their clear parts for the 1/72 turrets. I'm hoping aftermarket folks come to the rescue. Way to 'screw the pooch' HB!

Read somewhere else there is an issue with the "airfoil"!  Didn't say what was/are the issue(s) nor if it's concerning the main wings, horizontal stabilizers or tail planes, it just said "airfoil".  I also noticed over on Hannant's they are selling it for about $100 less than Squadron is ($158+ vs $250+).

20 hours ago, afspret said:

Read somewhere else there is an issue with the "airfoil"!  Didn't say what was/are the issue(s) nor if it's concerning the main wings, horizontal stabilizers or tail planes, it just said "airfoil".  I also noticed over on Hannant's they are selling it for about $100 less than Squadron is ($158+ vs $250+).

It's here

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/77661-hobby-boss-132-b-24j-initial-observations/&page=4

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 2:06 PM, Johnny_K said:

On 12/13/2018 at 3:35 PM, Johnny_K said:

If you guys have ever seen the Collings Foundation B-24 you'll notice the tail stand mounted to the skid when it is parked for display. It is 100% functional and could be incorporated into this build. The B-24 is very sensitive to longitudinal stability both in the air and on the ground. We joked that we could roll a dime off the flight deck and have to re-trim the airplane.  Making a tail stand that mounts to the skid is perfectly scale. 

jim

On 12/13/2018 at 3:35 PM, Johnny_K said:

You are correct. The landing gear could collapse with due to the additional weight of the nose weights. This where I put the nose weights for the 1/48 scale B-24J. I don't know if this would work with the 1/32 model.

Another option is to use the crew ladder to keep the plane from sitting on it's tail. This what I did on my B-24D.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:37 AM, skyhawk174 said:

Yup you are right. I know the landing gear is beefy but in cases like this I would build a base and secure it that way as I would be afraid that the nose weight needed would collapse the nose gear.

If the landing gear were to collapse, it wouldn't be the nose. All the weight would be brought to bear on the main gear, which act as the fulcrum; the nose would be just heavy enough to sit on the gear, not enough to collapse it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 7:39 AM, Wizard_rkt said:

The clear parts for front and rear turrets are simply unusable. It was just laziness that prevented HB from choosing the same way HAS did the molding of their clear parts for the 1/72 turrets. I'm hoping aftermarket folks come to the rescue. Way to 'screw the pooch' HB!

They have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303098679017

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303098767068

• 1 year later...

I just received the "D" model kit last week. Going to build it as a "Carpetbagger" black B-24. I think I will make a base and 

instead of loading it with weight I drill a hole in  the nose wheel and put a machine screw nut in it and then put the machine screw 

up from the bottom to hold it down. Probably bolt the mains too. I bought the Brass'in resin wheel set. 

Cheers...Ron

4 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

I just received the "D" model kit last week. Going to build it as a "Carpetbagger" black B-24. I think I will make a base and 

instead of loading it with weight I drill a hole in  the nose wheel and put a machine screw nut in it and then put the machine screw 

up from the bottom to hold it down. Probably bolt the mains too. I bought the Brass'in resin wheel set. 

Cheers...Ron

You need any source material?

Gentlemen, I never knew about these black B-24's. I see that kit world has decals for one of them in 1/48 and wolfpack has one in 1/72.....anything else out there? It's now on my to do list. Maybe even in 1/32...

8 minutes ago, fulcrum1 said:

Gentlemen, I never knew about these black B-24's. I see that kit world has decals for one of them in 1/48 and wolfpack has one in 1/72.....anything else out there? It's now on my to do list. Maybe even in 1/32...

They were the "carpetbaggers"! They flew at night to deliver "Joes" and equipment behind enemy lines in Europe. The O2 system was removed...waist guns removed...ball turret removed and the hole lines with sheet metal to drop agents. It had a plywood hinged door to cover it . Static line mounts on the right side to deploy their parachutes. All guns removed except for top turret and tail turret. The nose was blacked out inside and a curtain between the NAV/PILOT to keep the glare down. They flew out of Harrington in England. They were the first Special Ops guys...flew single ship...low to the ground by moon light . I flew single ship...no moon on NVG 200ft at 240 knots in a MC-130. 

On 5/6/2020 at 11:36 AM, aircommando130 said:

Amazon has the book..."Carpetbaggers" by Ben Parnell. Tells the story and the modifications to the aircraft.

Cheers...Ron

I may have they book, could loan it to you if you are interested.