8 hours ago, jester292 said:

Where can I find a 1:48 LANTIRN for the Hasegawa F-14B?  I have the VF-102 boxing it comes with some kind of camera pod for under the fuselage. Is that what it should be armed with?

The thing it comes with is a TARPS reconnaissance pod. Hasegawa do make weapons set “D” that contains a LANTIRN pod and some laser guided munitions. Does the kit have the proper pylon for the targeting pod at least?

But yeah, just get a Tamiya D and cannibalize the Hasegawa kit for B-specific parts! 😀

Edited by andrew.deboer
2 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

The thing it comes with is a TARPS reconnaissance pod. Hasegawa do make weapons set “D” that contains a LANTIRN pod and some laser guided munitions. Does the kit have the proper pylon for the targeting pod at least?

But yeah, just get a Tamiya D and cannibalize the Hasegawa kit for B-specific parts! 😀

Hey Andrew. Great suggestion. I didn’t know the Tamiya kit had a lot to scrounge from and still leave a D. What could I take from that kit and add to my Hasegawa B?

Im not sure which rails or adapters I would need. Besides the TARPS pod Darren mentioned, it comes with Phoenix pallets, wing pylons and fuel tanks. 

It seems the Hasegawa Weapons set includes adapters for F-16/-15. Is that the same as F-14? 

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

Steel Beach has a set that will work for the Hasegawa kit if you don't want to go the Tamiya route. It comes with the pod, pylon, control stick, and bomb racks. 

LANTIRN set

Nice set, Darren. Does that fit the Hasegawa kit as well or just the Monogram kit?  Is the LANTIRN set even applicable to a 2000/2001 VF-102 F-14B?

21 minutes ago, jester292 said:

Hey Andrew. Great suggestion. I didn’t know the Tamiya kit had a lot to scrounge from and still leave a D. What could I take from that kit and add to my Hasegawa B?

Im not sure which rails or adapters I would need. Besides the TARPS pod Darren mentioned, it comes with Phoenix pallets, wing pylons and fuel tanks. 

It seems the Hasegawa Weapons set includes adapters for F-16/-15. Is that the same as F-14? 

The adapters for the F-15 and -16 are not used on the F-14. 

The Tamiya D has two LANTIRNs and more PGMs than one Tomcat could carry, as well as every pylon combo possible for air to air or air to ground, including two BOL Sidewinder rails and four of the original LAU-7 rails. It also has a nice refueling probe and bay, a really good TARPS pod and ALQ-167 pod, four crew figures (2 with HGU-33 helmet and two with HGU-55, but only 6 total arms) and a few later bits that are handy.

Be warned: once you have the Tamiya D, you may no longer care about the Hasegawa kit! Your mileage may vary...

Edited by andrew.deboer

A heads up on the Tamiya LANTIRN pods in the F-14D kit. While there are in fact two pods in the kit, only one can be completed. 

One of the parts that make up the whole assembly is on the clear sprue and only one is included.

3 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

Be warned: once you have the Tamiya D, you may no longer care about the Hasegawa kit! Your mileage may vary...

Andrew speaks the truth. Once you've built the Tamiya kit, you will never want to build a Hasegawa kit ever again.