I was a huge Iron Maiden fan back in the 80's and early 90's, so when I saw this at the LHS it was a mandatory purchase.  I don't think that I have ever built an airliner kit before except for one of the what if Spruce Goose kits.  I have seen that there are a few problems with the accuracy of this kit (engines, nose) but I am not worried about that because it is so big that I will just end up hanging it from the ceiling in my modelling room.

It doesn't have a lot of parts so it should go together pretty fast.  I wish it were in a smaller scale.

The kit does not include any window inserts and the decals are just the metal surrounds.  There are also some windows that are supposed to be filled in and additional windows that are supposed to be drilled out.  I am not going to do that because I know that I will not be able to get the drilled out windows to the proper shape.  What is there is good enough for me.

This is what you get for windows.

Since there is no inserts or interior I am going to mix some epoxy with a little black paint and fill the windows.  I put some Scotch tape on the outside of the windows and slathered the epoxy on the inside.  I also added some bits of sprue to strengthen the fuselage a bit.

After I pulled the tape off it wasn't perfect but it will work with some sanding and a little filling.

I was going to build it with the gear down but they are very delicate and I am not sure they will stand up to the weight of the kit and the 20grams of weight that is supposed to be added.  Gear up it is I guess.

Now the wing attachment...  If anyone has built this kit please let me know how well the wings stay on this kit with this small attachment tab.

100_1008

It is only about 1/8 inch or 4mm.  I think I will add some pins and epoxy it before I glue the fuselage together.  I don't trust it to hold with just this.

Revell, please start putting the FS numbers for paint in your instructions.  This kit has silk grey, dusty grey, and light grey listed for the wings/engines, what is that?

Els

Nice. I also enjoy the music of Iron Maiden. And what could be cooler than having your own 747 to tour the world?

Good start here. I feel your pain about the Revell Germany paint instructions ... they give the color #s for the Revell paints which are not available in the US, so it can lead to some real head scratching trying to figure out what color to get.

That is a nice start, I have a couple of these 747s started. The gear can handle the weight without issues FYI. I have a freighter conversion and a QANTAS bird on the bench at the moment

As for the wing mounts, I just use plenty of Revell Contacta on the mating surfaces and it holds very well.

37179785254_3862b1f13e_b.jpg

For the wing painting the overall colour is Boeing grey (FS16515),  the wing centre spar is a metallic grey, I use Tamiya metallic grey mixed with a lighter grey to my taste to lighten it a little. Not sure what the other grey would be for.

I am forever using colour conversion charts from the interwebs to get other brand equivalents on my Revell builds.

Trojan Thunder, thanks for letting me know about the gear.  Did you have any problems with getting them all to touch the ground?  I am glad to hear that the plastic around the wing mating surfaces is enough to hold the wings.  I have already drilled mine and put a couple of pins that I plan to epoxy in from the inside.  From what I can find FS16515 is basically Voodoo Gray.  I haven't been able to find any of that so I may just mix up something to get it as close as I can.  You must have a big house to display all those monsters, hopefully you will post some pictures when you are done with them.

Spectre711, Bruce in the pilot seat and Eddie in the co seat would be awesome but the fit of the window is pretty bad.  I think it will just get filled in so that I can use the kit decal.  You never know though, I usually change my mind about what I am going to do about 37 times during my builds.

Els

Fuselage is together.  Lots of epoxy on the inside to strengthen it up.  I also put some wood dowels down the wings to make sure they don't sag.  This kit will be hanging from the ceiling so there will be some added heat up there.

Here you can see the fit of the front glass....

I will just putty around the whole thing and sand it flush.  I am starting to think that I am going to have to buy an aftermarket set of decals for this kit.  The epoxy that I put in the passenger windows did not completely fill all of them.  Trying to fill and repaint those windows would be a pain.  The cockpit window decals that are included with the kit are just clear with silver frames.

Dang, that's a serious mismatch on the canopy glass! I always paint glass black on 1/144, but you've got some serious filing and filling before you can just paint or decal it black...

ISTR somebody that offered window decals without the livery. Perhaps I can figure out whence it came.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought that I would post something to show that I am still plugging away at this.  After all the primer, putty and sanding I had to do my least favorite thing in modelling...Rescribing.  You can see that I suck at it and have to make a lot of corrections.  I use Dymo tape and a Tamiya scriber but I still don't seem to have the proper skills.

I still haven't ordered the window decals, I need to get on that so that they will be here before the end of the GB.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought that I would be able to finish it yesterday but I could not make it.  It is done now and I will post  couple of pictures in the completed section.  I ordered some decals from Flying Colors Decal for the windows and other things.  I have never used any decals from this company and I just wanted to say how excellent they were.  The decals looked great and were extremely easy to apply.  I ordered the decals on a Friday and received them on the following Tuesday.  I wish this company did more military decals I would definitely buy them.  This will probably be about my only civilian aircraft, unless there are more Iron Maiden jets.  Revell have also really stepped up their game with the decals.  These worked great.  I did not have a good match for the grays on the wings so I just mixed Tamiya paints until it looked good to me, hopefully it is close.  A lot of people have issues with this kits accuracy but to me it looks like a 747 and I am happy with it.  It will look great flying high near the ceiling in my modelling room.

This was a good Group Build with a lot of kits finished.  Thank you to Phantom and Kurt H for doing a great job running it and keeping engaged with all the participants.  Hopefully the Group Builds will pick up again, I really enjoy them.

Els

Edited by Els
1 hour ago, Els said:

I thought that I would be able to finish it yesterday but I could not make it.  It is done now and I will post  couple of pictures in the completed section.  I ordered some decals from Flying Colors Decal for the windows and other things.  I have never used any decals from this company and I just wanted to say how excellent they were.  The decals looked great and were extremely easy to apply.  I ordered the decals on a Friday and received them on the following Tuesday.  I wish this company did more military decals I would definitely buy them.  This will probably be about my only civilian aircraft, unless there are more Iron Maiden jets.  Revell have also really stepped up their game with the decals.  These worked great.  I did not have a good match for the grays on the wings so I just mixed Tamiya paints until it looked good to me, hopefully it is close.  A lot of people have issues with this kits accuracy but to me it looks like a 747 and I am happy with it.  It will look great flying high near the ceiling in my modelling room.

This was a good Group Build with a lot of kits finished.  Thank you to Phantom and Kurt H for doing a great job running it and keeping engaged with all the participants.  Hopefully the Group Builds will pick up again, I really enjoy them.

Els

Hey Els, looking forward to seeing the finish pictures.

Regarding other Iron Maiden jets, there have been at least 2 other decal sheets released for previous tours, they used a 757 then. You would have to source the kits and decals separately. I have the decal for the 2011 tour, there is also a decal for the 2008 tour.