Hi guys,

I started on refurbishing the ancient and extremely rare Revell Junior BK-117 snapkit recently. The kit is very basic and has no interior (besides two "couches") or clear parts. From what I could find out about the snapkit, is that they were apparently handed out at airshows to get children interested in building models. The fuselage dimensions are 1/48, making things a bit easier. Started with the floorboard, center console, instrument panel and cowl, and then realized that I better get the blanks done for the clear parts. These were made from resin and filler, but the overhead windows didn't feature, and had to be carefully cut out. Noticed that for the sake of simplifying the injection molding, the engine covers did not have the bulges, and the middle section was too high. Cut two slots on either side of the center line to lower it, and then added two strips of plastic card on top of the engine covers to shape the bulges. The intakes had to be opened up a bit, which brought another issue to light. The fairing that separates the intakes is too narrow and too rounded. This was cut out and a new one built from plastic card. The main rotor blades are 12.5mm too short, and the chord just a fraction short. Lengthened one blade with a section of another to use as a master. Also added a thin strip to the trailing edge, of which most will be sanded down to adjust the chord.

GmCV4i.jpg

QXSYeo.jpg

ODZPKX.jpg

TEzEi5.jpg

ei6BwX.jpg

7XPZIv.jpg

SoWp3E.jpg

de35fI.jpg

IO514G.jpg

3z41YR.jpg

bjIBBJ.jpg

8Zx1rr.jpg

YyXC5e.jpg

Cheers,

John

Thanks guys 🙂

The BK-117 is just another great little helicopter that's being overlooked by mainstream manufacturers in 1/48. I mean, it's been flying for decades and used by so many EMS services, a couple of military and civilian operators. Anyway, here's a quick recap on what has been done so far. That little fairing between the intakes needed an extra piece on top. Main rotor blade master completed. Still a couple of goodies to make, but I'll post some more updates as progress is made.

If this one comes out nicely, I might consider converting one into an EC-145/UH-72 🙂

2Dshge.jpg

KXTOE6.jpg

ItJP90.jpg

Cheers, John

Thanks guys 🙂

Tank, that's correct, no 1/48 kit available. This build will be used as masters for a resin kit with vac-formed clear parts.

I managed to get the engine deck, basic gearbox and swashplate done.
The tail fin and tail rotor also being modified. Some before and after pics.

u0oGlt.jpg

NHtSUo.jpg

KbbEV1.jpg

wjFaVk.jpg

wArpLP.jpg

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks GeejeeZ 🙂

Still busy making the molds, but here are some pics of hoist arm mechanism masters I didn't post the other day, as well as a pic of the first couple of the smaller parts.

SXNaVS.jpg

bn5L8V.jpg

QsInyB.jpg

d7tQIE.jpg

dDK8Sj.jpg

Cheers,

John