Jump to content

1/48 MBB BK-117


Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

 

I started on refurbishing the ancient and extremely rare Revell Junior BK-117 snapkit recently. The kit is very basic and has no interior (besides two "couches") or clear parts. From what I could find out about the snapkit, is that they were apparently handed out at airshows to get children interested in building models. The fuselage dimensions are 1/48, making things a bit easier. Started with the floorboard, center console, instrument panel and cowl, and then realized that I better get the blanks done for the clear parts. These were made from resin and filler, but the overhead windows didn't feature, and had to be carefully cut out. Noticed that for the sake of simplifying the injection molding, the engine covers did not have the bulges, and the middle section was too high. Cut two slots on either side of the center line to lower it, and then added two strips of plastic card on top of the engine covers to shape the bulges. The intakes had to be opened up a bit, which brought another issue to light. The fairing that separates the intakes is too narrow and too rounded. This was cut out and a new one built from plastic card. The main rotor blades are 12.5mm too short, and the chord just a fraction short. Lengthened one blade with a section of another to use as a master. Also added a thin strip to the trailing edge, of which most will be sanded down to adjust the chord.

 

GmCV4i.jpg

 

 

QXSYeo.jpg

 

ODZPKX.jpg

 

TEzEi5.jpg

 

ei6BwX.jpg

 

7XPZIv.jpg

 

SoWp3E.jpg

 

de35fI.jpg

 

IO514G.jpg

 

3z41YR.jpg

 

bjIBBJ.jpg

 

8Zx1rr.jpg

 

YyXC5e.jpg

 

 

Cheers,

John

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys 🙂

The BK-117 is just another great little helicopter that's being overlooked by mainstream manufacturers in 1/48. I mean, it's been flying for decades and used by so many EMS services, a couple of military and civilian operators. Anyway, here's a quick recap on what has been done so far. That little fairing between the intakes needed an extra piece on top. Main rotor blade master completed. Still a couple of goodies to make, but I'll post some more updates as progress is made.

If this one comes out nicely, I might consider converting one into an EC-145/UH-72 🙂

 

2Dshge.jpg

 

KXTOE6.jpg

 

ItJP90.jpg

 

Cheers, John

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys 🙂

 

Tank, that's correct, no 1/48 kit available. This build will be used as masters for a resin kit with vac-formed clear parts.

I managed to get the engine deck, basic gearbox and swashplate done.
The tail fin and tail rotor also being modified. Some before and after pics.

 

u0oGlt.jpg

 

NHtSUo.jpg

 

KbbEV1.jpg

 

wjFaVk.jpg

 

wArpLP.jpg

 

Cheers,

John

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks GeejeeZ 🙂

 

Still busy making the molds, but here are some pics of hoist arm mechanism masters I didn't post the other day, as well as a pic of the first couple of the smaller parts.

 

SXNaVS.jpg

 

bn5L8V.jpg

 

QsInyB.jpg

 

d7tQIE.jpg

 

dDK8Sj.jpg

 

Cheers,

John

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...