Two mustangs,Hasegawa and Meng,both in 48th

Hello everyone.I’ve started a new project.The building follows the same pattern as the previous one.I picked up the Hasegawa mustang kit,an early version D model.And her wingman comes from Meng,a mustang D/K kit which is a little unconventional to me.

tNAS01.jpg

The building of the Hasegawa mustang was started at 2008,roughly a month and a half after I started and gave up the Tamiya wild cat.What happened to me at that time,who knows.

I got the Hasegawa kit box in which a number of parts had been cut off ,trimmed and sanded 10 years ago.I even scratch built a gun sight and a radio set.A couple of weeks ago,I found an article in ARC gallery then I remembered that it was the reference I followed to guide my scratch build many years back.My thanks to the author.

cFpYtg.jpg

Let’s talk about the Meng mustang.Frankly,I assumed the kit would slightly like a toy for a kid before I took one.The assumption even remained when I started cutting parts off sprues.My assumption proved to be bias against it after I’ve dry-fitted most of parts many times.I think the way Meng engineered its mustang,the so-called glue-free oriented,has brought me a new expectation on modeling experience.Personally,one important thing about the engineering is to find a point which can balance the need of glue free and the need of glue need.The glue-free design can really make me happy.But it would be much easier and efficient to build the kit if a litter bit more glue could be introduced.The number of kit parts can be decreased,so dose effort on fitting,sanding,etc.Time is precious.

2YZPLr.jpg

dYGGWq.jpg

The Hasegawa is an old kit.But it can still please you with its crispy panel lines and smooth kit parts.And the Meng is sort of new thing.

The Hasegawa mustang had few rivets.I didn’t bother to look for a rivet drawing because I would try to copy the meng’s.

I put those parts of the two mustangs side by side.

KDCOEt.jpg

SVkpjp.jpg

p9olXy.jpg

eq5MVw.jpg

D5zcZb.jpg

JNy2r3.jpg

rFA079.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Edited by egg2012

Hi man, 

the rivets are wrongly represented in the Meng's kit, especially on the wings, so you also transferred  wrongly copying them on the Hasewaga kit,  also ww2 Mustangs had their wing rivets puttied  and smoothed for better airflow performance, you will find all the information and documents here if you are looking for historical  accurate reference: 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029538-missouri-armada-p-51d-mustang-documents-and-partial-scratch-from-the-tamiya-148-kit/&

cheers

Antonio

Edited by Antonio Argudo
On 11/28/2018 at 12:17 AM, Niels said:

Hi 

Did the old Hasegawa kit come without the fin fillet, or is this something you have removed? 

Otherwise an interesting comparison of 2 generations apart 🍻

Hello Niels. Yes,I removed the fin fillet in unskilled way  many years ago,and have left a hole  to fill now .

On 11/28/2018 at 5:08 AM, Antonio Argudo said:

Hi man, 

the rivets are wrongly represented in the Meng's kit, especially on the wings, so you also transferred  wrongly copying them on the Hasewaga kit,  also ww2 Mustangs had their wing rivets puttied  and smoothed for better airflow performance, you will find all the information and documents here if you are looking for historical  accurate reference: 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029538-missouri-armada-p-51d-mustang-documents-and-partial-scratch-from-the-tamiya-148-kit/&

cheers

Antonio

Hi Antonio.Thank you for the great link.I'll often visit it along the building.I strongly feel that I need to improve the quality of painting and to practice the control of weathering.So I took  into account about priority when I started.Thank you again.