Hasegawa Egg Shuttle

(Lets hope these photos stick!)

My wife, as tolerant as she is of my many hobbies, has expressed a want for me to finish some builds before adding much more to the pile (the modelers conundrum). I've since begun an excel spreadsheet to catalog what is currently being built, what needs to be built, wishlist items, etc to help organize. 

Having just finished a Revell Saturn V (that awaits its decals) I needed something small and quick, especially as that Mach 2 Redstone is going to require more dedication than I originally figured. I've been sitting on this Egg Series Space Shuttle for almost 5 years now and I think its ready to be hatched. 

46819815_572276256565142_810098909834221

Just some basic assembly, dry fitting, seam filling. This one will be early worm scheme Discovery, on orbit with open payload bay doors with the little astronaut figure floating out of the payload bay. 

46868930_316788545717177_416823787784031

Just a fun and simple build, more to come!

~mkjm

I spent a day off yesterday listening to podcasts and watching videos on scale model techniques. I'm trying to better myself and up the quality of my finished kits. I've also worked on Eggy a little bit.

46522681_2124657611197428_42599910150766

I painted the SSEE (Space Shuttle Egg Engines) Tamiya Gunmetal, but then I decided that they were much too plain. Taking some thin evergreen styrene rod, I used some tweezers to make bends in the piping. Not perfect by any means, but at least the engines are more interesting to look at! I looked at one of three Fisher 1/72 engine bells to get the piping pattern. After leveling out the pipes on the top where they attach to the orbiter and at the bottom of the nozzle, I hit them with the gunmetal again. 

That's one other thing I've decided - I've been using spray bottles for nearly every model I've ever done. I've decided to invest in a good airbrush, a small compressor with a tank (something quiet, I live in an apartment), and a ventilated spray booth, so I don't have to go out to the balcony to spray and dry parts and pieces. But for now, the bottle it is, especially when I need to worry about spending for the upcoming holidays.

46854686_268236690557833_688260526557783

I was surprised at how egg-sized this little kit really was as it sits in the EOPF (Egg-Orbiter Processing Facility). I'm leaving the little Spacelab unit out for painting, as well as the payload bay doors. 

More to come!

You know, if I could find plastic eggs that were smaller than your standard easter-style eggs, that would be a swell idea! 

I've seen images of an Egg shuttle attached to an Eggternal tank and some small deformed SRBs.

I'm wondering now if a SaturnEgg V could be done, a plastic easter egg with some PVC pipe in the middle and some imagination? 

I've seen smaller plastic eggs at Dollar stores around Easter, definitely a seasonal item.

For the SaturnEgg V I would suggest starting with the S-IC stage of the Dragon 1/72 kit, it already has egg-shaped fairings....  lol

9 hours ago, habu2 said:

I've seen smaller plastic eggs at Dollar stores around Easter, definitely a seasonal item.

For the SaturnEgg V I would suggest starting with the S-IC stage of the Dragon 1/72 kit, it already has egg-shaped fairings....  lol

Ha! If I thought I could get away with it I'd certainly try!

I used to work at a Michael's Arts & Crafts, I'll have to see if some old friends who still work there can give me a heads up when the easter crafts start rolling in so I can check. These egg series models are a nice break from the super-detailed tile and stringer counting.