ARC Discussion Forums
KursadA

CD48150 - F-15 Eagle - The Early Years

CD48150 will be a 1/48 sheet with prototype and early USAF service markings for F-15A/B Eagles, as suggested by you guys in the new subject suggestion thread. I have a lot of references and should be able to put this together quickly.

28 minutes ago, sierrascale said:

Air Superiority Blue?

Definitely!!

That sounds like it will be a nice sheet Kursad. I have a couple of the Monogram kits and I think they are fine kits and appropriate for the decals you are planning.

I had tried to do one of these many years ago but had lots of trouble with that air superiority blue for some reason. Always came out too blue in my mind. I think now it is much easier with the range of paints available, well at least I hope so.

Also, I would think you have schemes planned for the F-15s with all those wonderful stripes.

If you can find ref's 49th TFW F-15A/B's would be a nice option in 1/48...that hasn't been done before apart from one ancient Microscale sheet

McDonnell_Douglas_F-15A-19-MC_Eagle_77-0109

Air Superiority Blue - perfect! Looking forward to this sheet and definitely hanging on to the couple of elderly Monogram F-15A Eagle kits in the stash. Thanks Kursad.

ASB...awesome     :bandhead2:

I’m in for 1/72.

YESSSSS!  Will you do the first prototype as well?  Quite fancy making it with the initial stabs and wingtips.  Could I then propose a set of masks to match the F-15 logo on the tail and the outline of the star and bar for the wings where the day-glo intersects the logo on the tail and to maintain the ASB background around the national insignia?

Jens

I am doing the prototype and everything needed to do the first few planes, down to the details like the funky, borderless national insignia and the various F-15 logos on the tail with gray backing as needed.

Does anyone happen to have any knowledge or photos of the circular badge/emblem at the nose of 71-0284 in its "City of Iowa Park" guise? BillS??

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22565451@N02/24518375929/sizes/l

You just made my day KursadA!

Jens

Edited by jenshb

F-15 logos on the tail with BLUE backing as needed! Right?😀

51 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

F-15 logos on the tail with BLUE backing as needed! Right?😀

I don't do actual color assignments until much later in the design process. The prototypes looked gray to me, and I did not look up their exact color. If they are Air Superiority Blue, then blue it will be. Pantone 542 seems to be a good match for the color and this is probably what I will tell Cartograf to use.

Indeed, the prototype was in Air Superiority Blue as were many of the first batch assigned to testing and to the first training wing at Luke AFB (LA tail codes in white). 

Kursad,  Did I include the Early prototype F-15/TF-15 photos on the thumb drive I sent you?  If not, I will send some more photos to you. R/ Dutch

16 hours ago, Dutch said:

Kursad,  Did I include the Early prototype F-15/TF-15 photos on the thumb drive I sent you?  If not, I will send some more photos to you. R/ Dutch

No, but the photos you sent me were super helpful for the ongoing KC-135A/E sheet work. I think I have all I need for the prototype F-15s. In fact, I almost finished the sheet this past weekend.

I still need a clearer photo of the "City of Iowa Park" art on 71-0284 as seen in this photo. Is this the early Compass Gray scheme? If I can't find out what the white, circular badge right there on the radome line is; I may have to drop this option from the sheet..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22565451@N02/24518375929/sizes/l

Kursad, does this help?  You can download and zoom in. I can't really tell if it's a cotton ball or a white kitty cat.  I've been to the City of Iowa Park website and can discover no official town logo.

71-0284_00.jpg

Edited by Dutch

I think this is the highest resolution one on Flicker - I already used it to design the "City of Iowa Park" script but whatever is in the circle is not clear enough.

The radome boundary is a weird place to paint nose art - I am thinking that it may be a sticker or something temporary, much like the black tape they used to shut the retractable ladder door in place. The photo was clearly taken at an exhibit or air show of some sort.

Edited by KursadA

Considering that it is a ground instructional airframe at Sheppard AFB, it may indeed be a warning or other sticker of some kind.  It does seem to be a strange place for nose art, because it clearly bi-sects the radome joint line.  The Air Force is pretty strict on which particular area is authorized for nose art on their aircraft.  They usually are bounded or restricted to the size of one panel for ease of art maintenance.  Could it be a very faded black/white photo reference sticker?  Is there an antenna or pitot located there?  It may be beneficial to check earlier photos of the aircraft to see what it may be.  It was a test aircraft for almost its entire career.

It is interesting to note that B-52F 57-0071 in the background is not painted in the SAC SIOP scheme.  It appears to be in SEA camouflage colors instead.