ARC Discussion Forums
KursadA

CD48150 - F-15 Eagle - The Early Years

On second thought, I will probably drop this option tonight and add another Luke-based Air Superiority Blue option, perhaps "TAC1". The options currently planned are:

71-0280  - first prototype in ASB & orange scheme

71-0283  - red/white color scheme

71-0285  - blue/white color scheme

73-0111  -  58 TTW

73-0103  -  58 TTW

73-0112  -  58 TTW

Streak Eagle

Edited by KursadA

I took the liberty of lightening the photo a bit to see if it would help. Doesn't seem to be a blue bird, but the division lines are pretty hazy if it is a Compass Ghost gray bird:

71-0284_00_zps1paltbzf.jpg

If it was Compass Ghost Gray, then I think we would see a faint contrast on the tailfins where we know there would be two different shades of gray, but I can't see that in this picture, which leads me to believe this is Air Superiority Blue.

Jens

That’s interesting, never seen a white square behind the red ejection triangle. 

I tend to agree that it is indeed an Air Superiority Blue airframe. I am keeping it on the sheet, but will need to think about what to do about that white circle.

Probably a baseball. As in Iowa Park.

Is there a decent F-15A kit out there? 

Tony

On 12/1/2018 at 10:24 AM, KursadA said:

I am doing the prototype and everything needed to do the first few planes, down to the details like the funky, borderless national insignia and the various F-15 logos on the tail with gray backing as needed.

Will this include 282 with the sharkmouth on the radome and eagle on the tail ?

19 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

I took the liberty of lightening the photo a bit to see if it would help. Doesn't seem to be a blue bird, but the division lines are pretty hazy if it is a Compass Ghost gray bird:

71-0284_00_zps1paltbzf.jpg

Paul, at the time the photo was taken, it had been at Sheppard AFB as a ground instructional airframe for some time.  Almost certainly it would not be ASB, but would have been painted in the Compass Ghost Gray scheme prior to transfer.  It would also appear very faded from being out in the Texas sun (much worse than the Florida sun, but not as bad as the Arizona sun).  You can see some color shading / demarcation on the upper intake and below "Iowa Park" and the cockpit, though it also appears to have a lot of oil smudging in this area as well.  Again, something you would expect to see on a ground instructional airframe.  R/ Dutch

something to watch out for as you do these early eagles are the evolution of the speed brake.   After the speed brake was enlarged from the first few eagles, some had a strake along the top and the shapes were different.  When Monogram did their F-15A in 1/48 scale they did the final design of the speed brake, and if you look at Fujimi's 48th scale they had one of the mid-designs.  The Revell Streak Eagle had the small prototype speed brake.  Also remember that the F-15A as first rolled out did not have a dog tooth stab and had square wing tips.   

Did all ASB F-15A and TF-15A have the small airbrake?  

Both 73-103 and 73-112 are on the sheet - I have not yet made a decision on the stripes. Including both red and black stripes will sure push up the cost of the product - and which kit should I design them for? I may end up providing diagrams to paint them on the reference site - they are parallel lines which should not require too much skill to pull off satisfactorily.

I agree with the stripes - for such large areas they would be better off painted.

jens

Those red/brown canopy frames with rivets would be nice to have.  I don't think that's been done before and would be very helpful.

I'll echo painting the stripes. It would be challenging to get decals to wrap and lay down correctly.

Sounds like you're pretty close to final design options, but any chance of adding 71-0291?  For those who don't already know, this was the TF-15A that was retained by McAir as their demonstrator and eventually used as the Dual Role Fighter demo bird, better known as the 'prototype' Strike Eagle. She wore quite a few schemes over the years, my fave being the 'Thunderbird-esque' Bicentennial:

https://goo.gl/images/fR87q4

The different schemes worn by 291 over the years would probably fill multiple sheets by itself.

The Bicentennial 291 would require almost a complete sheet by itself - sorry. Maybe in another sheet in the future..

I am completing this sheet today with the addition of stencilling - draft image coming soon.

Could that white circle on 284 be a sticker over the latch for the nose cone? Just guessing here. Hmm now that I think about it I think there are at least two latches. 

Also, those F-15s with the stripes, you can see they have the early reinforces speed brakes with the spines. If i recall correctly, only Fujimi 1/48th had that when it was first released. Looks like a longer speed brake too as opposed to the smaller one?

I'd go out on a limb and say that it is the city seal for Iowa Park.

That's what would make logical sense.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:52 AM, KursadA said:

The Bicentennial 291 would require almost a complete sheet by itself - sorry. Maybe in another sheet in the future..

I am completing this sheet today with the addition of stencilling - draft image coming soon.

I do NOT want to endanger baby seals, nor do I want to have Kursad wasting time on a sheet that has already been done.  Therefore if you search for "1/48 Bicentennial TF-15A decals" you will find they have been done and ready for order.    

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program, "F-15 Eagle, the Early Years" starting Bruce Dern and Faye Dunaway.  

On 12/5/2018 at 11:08 PM, Ed Nirel said:

Those red/brown canopy frames with rivets would be nice to have.  I don't think that's been done before and would be very helpful.

+1