1/48th Revell-Monogram A-6E TRAM Intruder

Great work Steve,  and I certainly enjoy the frequent updates. And make sure you don't let that beast get the best of you. It's not an easy build and sub part AM products only make it that much more difficult. 

E.

On 12/31/2018 at 4:53 PM, wardog said:

Great work Steve,  and I certainly enjoy the frequent updates. And make sure you don't let that beast get the best of you. It's not an easy build and sub part AM products only make it that much more difficult. 

E.

Thanks wardog, I'll do my best. Thanks for following along.

Steve

Greetings all,

Plugging along slowly on the Intruder.

I managed to get the main canopy glued to the resin deck and, masked off the inside in order to paint the outside. I also masked off the intakes, both halves, for paint as well.

edited-image_zps9dfgt1ma.png

edited-image_zps2m1aanic.png

edited-image_zps7yqzngsm.png

I'm also currently getting the sawybraces cleaned up in order to glue them to the MER's, not a fun task but, a necessary evil.

edited-image_zpsbz6d0uhf.png

I've got to glue these swaybraces on, line them up and, trim up the wires on the MK-20's so when I insert the MK-20's into their holes, on the MER,  I can see if everything lines up and to make sure all the swaypads contact the MK-20's as well. The first two are on and line up nicely. I'll let these dry overnight before proceeding. Hopefully the rest of the MK-20's go as smooth as the first two did.

Thanks for checking in, until next time ...

Steve

edited-image_zpsnysmhzsl.png

edited-image_zpsngkghjgl.png

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Minor update for today,

I managed to get all the swaybraces glued in place on the port side MER. The Rockeye's all line up really nice thanks to the wire I added to them. Now to concentrate on the starboard side MER. Hopefully that one goes as smooth as well.

Steve

edited-image_zpsmtk5kpa0.png

edited-image_zpstdlh34yo.png

edited-image_zps2jt7ufhe.png

Edited by A-10 LOADER
1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Good job, looks like you've avoided any dreaded alignment issues, that would have been eye catching

Thanks Hewy, yes I surprised myself. With this many bombs being so close to each other, any alignment issue would really stick out. I got very lucky I guess. The holes, in the MER,  have to be carefully drilled and adding the wires to the bombs also helps with alignment issues and, adds strength when it comes time to attach them. Like I said, hopefully the other MER turns out as nice, fingers crossed.

Steve

Brief update for today,

Nothing worth a pic but, I managed to get the starboard side MER finished up last night. I guess having a game plan from the other one helped and, this one went much faster. I'm gonna try and get a few things painted gray this weekend, we'll see what happens. Thanks to all that are following along.

Steve

I managed to get some Dark Ghost Gray on a few pieces today. Not really happy with the seam between the canopy glass and the rear decking so, I'll hit it with some Vallejo plastic putty and try again.

edited-image_zpsuvajffwb.png

I sprayed the  intake splitter plate and the inside lip of the intake because it would be impossible to mask /  paint them once they were assembled. Once the parts fit together they look really good. I still need to do a wash on the intake fans yet before I glue all this together.

edited-image_zpsrwytnp6f.png

edited-image_zpsqm9p9wjh.png

I also sprayed the areas behind the intakes because it's easier without the intakes in the way. Short and sweet for today but, still progress. Thanks to everyone following along.

Steve

edited-image_zpsf7mzmiiq.png

Edited by A-10 LOADER
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

Minor update for today,

I finally finished decaling the Rockeye's. Between fighting a stomach virus and my hands not really wanting to cooperate, I succeeded. Each Rockeye has 18 decals on it. I have to admit the Eduard decals performed very well and really dress up the MK-20's. They still need a semi-gloss coat to seal everything and some weathering yet. I used some Tamiya Panel Line wash (black) for the observation windows, much easier than painting them. Eduard needs to do better research however, they give you markings for "live" MK-20's yet the one decals says "BOMBS / INERT, LOADED ..." C'mon guys, do your homework !!

edited-image_zpsikdr7rcm.png

edited-image_zps0qso6nnu.png

edited-image_zpspjergoun.png

I also decaled the centerline fuel tank while I was at it. These are 24 year old decals and behaved very well.

edited-image_zpsgmqnpbqu.png

Next up will be to spray the wing pylons and the MER's. I also tried to clean up that seam between the canopy and the rear decking. Hopefully it will look better this time around.

edited-image_zpsrdbrcx4i.png

Very minor stuff but again, it's still progress. Thanks to all following along.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

I've been trying to post since Sunday but, every time I try I get this,

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@arcforums.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Steve

Greetings all,

Would anyone know the color of the walkways for the top of this jet ? Did she even have them ? I need to know for my build, thanks.

I photographed her back on September 10, 1993 at NAS Oceana.

Steve

edited-image_zpswvppy6ds.png

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Greetings all,

Brief update for today. I managed to get some small things installed so, she's getting closer to the paint barn.

I installed the HUD glass and hit the glass edges with some Tamiya clear green.

edited-image_zpsacbuqjeu.png

The intakes were installed and some foam placed inside them to keep the paint out.

edited-image_zpsezgnjsoa.png

The front windscreen was installed.

edited-image_zpsiqs3zn09.png

I drilled out some openings on the airframe, like the real jet.

edited-image_zpsjqm0rf79.png

edited-image_zpspxxqdmx2.png

I also made a "patch plate" for where the pitot tube goes on the tail, this eliminates that nasty gap / hole that Revell gave us.

edited-image_zpsoof1rc7o.png

Finally, the cockpit was masked off.

edited-image_zpsijcjo8d2.png

Hopefully some primer soon and I can see how she looks. Thanks for following along.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Steve,

I logged on briefly yesterday and noticed the pics weren't viewable; however, I didn't have time to comment and I figured you were aware of the issue and would be working to correct it.

-Elmo

On 2/3/2019 at 4:43 PM, crackerjazz said:

Whenever I click on one i get "the person moved or deleted this image." You might have moved it to a different Photobucket album and the link changed?

The only thing I did was edit the photos (basically put a frame around them). Photobuckets new "photo editor" became available a few days ago because the old one wasn't working any longer. Today I see a lot more pics are gone ?? I'm going to reinstall the pics again by "editing" the posts. We'll see.

Steve

On 2/6/2019 at 11:51 AM, wardog said:

Nice progress.....you're almost there. Since I can't seem to ever make major progress on mine I really enjoy seeing others do so.

-Elmo

Thanks Elmo, very much appreciated.

Today's update,

While I ponder what to do for the walkways on the jet, I wanted to get some small stuff completed. The MK-20's have been flat coated and had a Flory's " Dark Dirt " wash applied but, only in certain areas just to highlight some details. I still need to add " Remove Before Flight " streamers to them. I ordered the Eduard #49 068 ones.

edited-image_zps9dlsoiof.png

The main canopy was unmasked, glass cleaned up and, the rear view mirror framing was added and painted also.

edited-image_zpsgg3jog12.png

edited-image_zpss2ecpq6x.png

Since the entire jet is finished in FS 36320, Dark Ghost Gray, I decided to paint the MER's FS 36375, Light Ghost Gray, just to break it up a little and I believe most suspension equipment, from my research for this time period,  would be 36375. It was for us in the USAF. These MER's were like a mini model in themselves. There was a lot of work to get them to this stage. I still need to weather them yet, when  some paintwork is dry.

edited-image_zpsm61ods5f.png

edited-image_zpsfrr5isfg.png

Thanks to everyone who is showing interest in this build, til the next update ...

Steve

Greetings.

Today's progress report , I managed to get the walkways applied to the jet using a very thin coat of BIC "Wite Out". The areas were sanded with 400 grit before applying it. Hopefully it stays put and doesn't pull off on the tape when I mask it off for painting.

edited-image_zpspm8hp8xe.png

I received my "Remove Before Flight" streamers on Monday and couldn't wait to try them out. These are the FABRIC ones from Eduard and as bad as their MER's are (size wise), I have to admit these streamers are awesome to work with. I like how you can roll them between your fingers and crumple them up to make them more realistic. They can also be weathered if you so choose.

edited-image_zpsecem4st5.png

Each Rockeye gets two RBF streamers, one is on the nose fuse cover and, the other goes on the Fin Release Band Latch, in the back. For the nose streamer, I used part of the EDUARD logo that is on the streamer sheet. I cut off the wording and cut the remaining thin red line into 5 equal pieces, easy. Once the bombs are on the MER, the streamers hang more naturally.

edited-image_zpsavsbtcq8.png

edited-image_zps3apdkfjp.png

I also scratched two rack pins, with streamers, for the MER.

edited-image_zpswdwaiuye.png

The MER's received a little "corrosion control", I used some FS 35237, Medium Gray for the touch-ups. It's hard to see in the pics but, there are four different colors on each MER, Light Ghost Gray, Medium Gray, silver and, steel. I'll do the final weathering to all the pylons once they are glued onto the jet.

edited-image_zpstcglnzvn.png

edited-image_zps6du7dla7.png

The small amber lights on the back of the pylons were also painted using some silver first followed by Tamiya clear orange.

edited-image_zpsamuhfanu.png

And, finally the wheels were given a Flory wash, Dark Dirt for the fronts and, Grime for the backs.

edited-image_zpsqoddjpox.png

edited-image_zps5cqsorka.png

Thanks to all who are showing interest in my work.

Steve

Minor update for today but, progress none the less. I painted the walkways FS 36081 last night. Once these are dry I'll mask them off and some other areas on the jet and, she'll be ready for primer. I chose to paint the walkways first because  even tho the primer and paint will be thin coats, there will still be some buildup and I'm hoping that when the paint is applied there won't be such a "step" between the body and the walkways, that's the plan anyway, we'll see. Thanks to all those who are following along.

Steve

edited-image_zps6kyhcyzu.png

• 4 months later...

Just a brief update for today,

I haven't forgotten about my build but, I've been busy with outside work and, I'm currently doing a friend a favor by repainting his 1/18th scale JSI "SpotCat". Taking her from that spotted disaster to a "Operation Enduring Freedom", VF-41 CAG Tomcat.

Steve