1/48th Revell-Monogram A-6E TRAM Intruder

1 hour ago, picknpluck said:

Just came across this and following with interest as I ponder the Revell EA-6A in my stash. Nice work so far!

Thanks very much.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Managed a little bench time tonight and attached the Rockeye's to the MER's. I'm very happy with how everything looks and the bombs are in line and straight. If the heat / humidity ever subside I can get some primer on the jet. Thanks for looking.

Steve

edited-image_zpsbwssifau.png

edited-image_zpsym2aumvj.png

edited-image_zpsxl81tyna.png

Small update for tonight, I got the three antennas glued to the bottom forward fuselage, added the collision lights ( masked them off with Mr. Masking Sol ) hoping this stuff works I've never used it before, masked off the walkways and, added the metal pitot tube to the tail ( thanks for the tip on this WARDOG ). She now is ready for primer and we'll see how things look from there. Small steps but, progress none the less. Thanks for all who are still following along.

Steve

edited-image_zps4inybala.png

edited-image_zpssgauwemb.png

edited-image_zpscfomzuko.png

edited-image_zpsahdon6zt.png

Steve,

I'm glad you resurrected this build; you're too far along to shelve her! The Rockeys look outstanding and the brass pitot tube is a nice touch. My only suggestion with the pitot, assuming It's not already glued on would have been to install it the very end once the model is 99.9% complete. Having a very delicate item like that protruding out is risky as the odds of knocking it off during handling are very high, not to mention the damage you'll cause to the pitot and surrounding area. An option would be to super glue it at the end and also use super glue as a filler for any gaps around the periphery of the tube. Once dry you can clean off any excess glue residue with super glue de-bonder for a clean finish. After that you can mask around the tube and the white styrene piece and paint accordingly.

Good luck with the rest of the build!

-Elmo

Hi wardog, thanks for the kind words. It's too late for the pitot tube, I glued it in place yesterday. I'll just have to be very careful (fingers crossed).

Some more progress this morning, she's in primer and I'm hoping to get the color on her tomorrow. I'm trying to take advantage of our cooler temps / low humidity here in SE Pennsylvania. Thanks to everyone who's staying interested.

Steve

edited-image_zpsazkg0nch.png

edited-image_zpsaeusaqza.png

Brief update for today,

I sprayed the overall color this morning, along with the gear doors,  Model Master Dark Ghost Gray, FS 36320. She's finally starting to look like something.

Up next will be spraying the tip of the radome Light Ghost Gray, painting the blue on the tail fin cap and, touching up the two main gear wells with white. Then a gloss coat and decals.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

edited-image_zps8eru3rbc.png

• 2 weeks later...

Greeting's everyone,

Small update for today,

I've managed to get some small things accomplished on the Intruder. I masked off and painted the fin cap on the tail, to match the decals. This color was "custom" mixed by a good friend and should match when all is said and done. I had to remove the pitot tube from the tail because it was in the way. I should have listened wardog.  ☺️

edited-image_zpsk842fylg.png

Another buddy gave me a Gundam marker, to help ease with the painting of the red edges on the gear doors. Except for me being a little careless with it, it worked out great !! This is the way to go for doing this task. The doors also got a Flory's "Dark Dirt" wash.

edited-image_zpsgdev5l2w.png

I also got the exhaust area and the tailpipes painted.

edited-image_zpsqal3qoe6.png

And finally, the wheel wells and the boarding ladder housings were masked off and sprayed.

edited-image_zpsjm8iuzsk.png

Still a few more items to paint before I can spray the gloss coat but, she's moving along, SLOWLY. Thanks to all who are staying interested in my work.

Steve

9 hours ago, wardog said:

Looking real nice Steve; and for a 30+ year old model, not too bad at all!

-Elmo

Thanks Elmo, appreciate that. In the hands of someone like yourself, she can be made into a masterpiece.

Steve

11 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

The fun stuff! : ) Looking forward to it!

Thanks crackerjazz, here ya go bud,

Greetings all,

I got all the decals finished with no issues at all, pretty impressed considering they're @ 20 years old. I still have a few things to hand paint before the flat coat can be applied. The custom color mix for the tail fin cap looks perfect. The only thing left to spray are the insides of the boarding ladders red so, she's getting real close to being finished. Hopefully for my next update, I'll have a finished Intruder.

Thanks for following along everyone, til next time ...

Steve

edited-image_zpsvnt1xl2e.png

edited-image_zps5wsvw0de.png

edited-image_zpslmgra8a1.png

edited-image_zpsg4uwvhcr.png

Not really sure what I was thinking yesterday when I said there wasn't much left to do before the final pics ??!! There's a lot to do yet. :doh:

Today's updates,

I finished up the landing gear and the gear doors.

edited-image_zpsmumbtqts.png

edited-image_zpsooxqevti.png

edited-image_zps1gmlgrhb.png

I added an MV lens for the landing light and some Testors clear parts cement for the lenses of the carrier approach lights, on the nose gear door.

edited-image_zpstkfllqnx.png

And doing some final dry-fitting of the boarding ladder doors before spraying their insides red.

edited-image_zpsb3mgpq6c.png

Thanks to all who are still following along with this build.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon all,

Got the A-6 flat coated and weathered. She'll stay fairly clean because that's how she looked when I photographed her back in September of 1993. Still plenty to do yet but, she's coming along nicely.

Steve

edited-image_zpsouhkujlz.png

edited-image_zpsuxlhe21h.png

edited-image_zps5jj7nmkb.png

edited-image_zpstkwbjx1l.png

Now let's try it with pics.

She's on her gear finally !! I wish Revell-Monogram would have done a better job of engineering the main gear connection points. The nose gear connection is a very positive one but, the mains are sloppy at best. I'll leave her like this until the glue sets up.

Steve

edited-image_zps1pntswyg.png

Edited by A-10 LOADER
2 hours ago, wardog said:

She's looking great for sure. I'm glad you never abandoned the project, especially since you were so far along. Good luck as you head towards the finish line.

Elmo

Thank you sir, that means a lot coming from you. She has her flaws and won't win any contests but, still a respectable build considering she sat for 18 years.

Steve

I've been trying to post an update with about 7 pics, since Thursday and, this is the response I get when I hit the SUBMIT button, what gives ?

Steve

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@arcforums.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Trying to post this update yet again, 6th try, this time with less text. Let's see what happens.

Some scratch-built ground power equipment for my A-6 display.

edited-image_zpsjxwucrgw.png

edited-image_zpsoup0pbil.png

Hot air hose made from house wire (Romex) and black copper wire from the craft store.

edited-image_zpsthdt4jrk.png

Electrical power cord holders.

edited-image_zpst79kg2c6.png

Four posts with some plastic disks for the post caps.

edited-image_zpsysisgzmg.png