F-4F ICE vs F-4E radome differences

Couple of question as I'm sure somewhere I have seen a picture of both dome dismantled and put side by side but I can't find it anymore, also does Revell 1/72 F-4F come with the modified dome or is still the standard one?

Were Hellenic AUP Phantoms upgraded with the newer radome or retained the standard one?

Thanks for looking ^_^

Luigi

35 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

Newer radome, never heard that before?  Finished in different colours certainly but anything else is news to me.

on BM forums a user said that radome was more bulbous than standard F-4E while retaining the same fuselage diameter base and overall length.

By checking pictures it seems that maybe he's right but I don't have access to Decimomannu F-4F Phantom which was an ICE upgraded bird nor to any other Phantom in the immediate vicinity such as Greek ones as they were there a year ago or so and I doubt they will ever come back 😞

Going to check Airdoc books to see if something is mentioned there or not

Luigi

Edited by Mizar

That's interesting. I wonder if we can even see the difference in our models? I also have that thick tome on the F-4 by Air Doc so maybe I can check too.

Also, from a modelling perspective would it be worth your while correcting this? Sounds like diminishing returns.

Edited by skyhawk174

Just compared my photos of Hellenic F-4E AUP's against pictures of Turkish F-4E 2020's, pre ICE Luftwaffe F-4F's and JASDF F-4EJ's and can't see any difference in overall shape. Yes, the different colours being Matt Grey, Matt Black and Gloss Black play tricks with what your eyes see and what's actually there. Also on some of the pre update aircraft the radomes seem to have the dialectic finish applied further back, again giving it a sleeker appearance .

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the ICE radome was wider than the standard vanilla E/F/G APQ-120 radome. It is not noticeable in 1/72 scale though and this would be your smallest worries when buidling the Revell F-4F.  The Peace Icarus F-4E has taken the upgrades of the F-4F ICE and added all the capabilities the GAF did not want to pay for, e.g upgraded cockpit, LGB self lasing capability, and above all the IFF-system.

Cheers

Scout