Revell (Germany) re-releasing 1/48 Phantom FGR.2

Looks like Revell Germany is re-releasing their boxing of Hasegawa's 1/48 British Phantom FGR.2.  Hobbysearch has Feb. 2019 for a release date. Should be a good, less expensive option for getting one of Hasegawa's nice British Phantom kits. Revell Germany usually has very extensive decal sheets included. Hobbysearch has a reserve price of about $36.00. The most recent boxing by Hasegawa been regularly going for two or three times as much on eBay.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10574833

36 minutes ago, phantomdriver said:

If that box art represents the final scheme, then it's been previously done..

Yes, same decal options as the 2004 release.

I'm also thinking USAF/FMS-type MLG wheels instead of the correct Naval J/K types (which were metal and vinyl in the Hasegawa boxings). Maybe they've added parts for the correct MLG hubs this time around ?

Tony 

48 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Yes, same decal options as the 2004 release.

I'm also thinking USAF/FMS-type MLG wheels instead of the correct Naval J/K types (which were metal and vinyl in the Hasegawa boxings). Maybe they've added parts for the correct MLG hubs this time around ?

Tony 

I don't know if that is the final boxart. All I've seen is what Hobbysearch posted.  tony.t, do you know if they're using the same box art from the original release? All I know is that they are re-releasing the kit. I would assume its probably has the same kit, wrong wheels and all. If so, that's pretty easy to correct with aftermarket. I think True Details makes a pretty cheap F-4J set that could be used. Otherwise, there are a lot of other wheel sets available. I wouldn't want the Hasegawa metal/vinyl stuff anyway and would be replacing it. Would be nice if Revell would add an updated sprue for correct wheels though.

On 29 November 2018 at 11:35 PM, Mstor said:

I don't know if that is the final boxart. All I've seen is what Hobbysearch posted.  tony.t, do you know if they're using the same box art from the original release? All I know is that they are re-releasing the kit. I would assume its probably has the same kit, wrong wheels and all. If so, that's pretty easy to correct with aftermarket. I think True Details makes a pretty cheap F-4J set that could be used. Otherwise, there are a lot of other wheel sets available. I wouldn't want the Hasegawa metal/vinyl stuff anyway and would be replacing it. Would be nice if Revell would add an updated sprue for correct wheels though.

According to peeps who visited the Revell stand at Telford it is the same as the 2004 boxing, though the box itself might have that current Revell swathe of carbon grey and have grown unnecessarily larger.

I do hope there's a possibility of new tool wheels. The only advantage of resin is if the hubs are done separately, like the Brassin jobs. I also wished they got hold of Hasegawa's one-piece -4J canopy, slotted stabs and -4K NLG. Alas not yet. 

Tony

4 hours ago, tony.t said:

I also wished they got hold of Hasegawa's one-piece -4J canopy, slotted stabs and -4K NLG. Alas not yet. 

I understand wanting the one piece canopy, but why would you need a slotted stab for an FGR.2? And by "-4K NLG" do you mean the extendable NLG used by the FGR.1? I suppose if you had both of those items you could build an FGR.1 if you wanted. That would make the kit more flexible, being able to build either marks. If you really want slotted stabs, Hypersonic makes a very nice set.

4 hours ago, Mstor said:

I understand wanting the one piece canopy, but why would you need a slotted stab for an FGR.2? And by "-4K NLG" do you mean the extendable NLG used by the FGR.1? I suppose if you had both of those items you could build an FGR.1 if you wanted. That would make the kit more flexible, being able to build either marks. If you really want slotted stabs, Hypersonic makes a very nice set.

Yes, I have preordered a pair of these kits and wish to make at least one as an F-4K / FG.1.

The Hypersonic products look good, including the canopy hood beef-up parts. I'm also adding Alleycat resin inlets and some Eduard etch, so the end price is a bit higher but still great.

The F-4K / FG.1 had a chunkier NLG leg (because of the double extending oleos) and was raked back 2-3°. Kit part will have to be modified a little. 

Tony 

33 minutes ago, tony.t said:

I'm also adding Alleycat resin inlets

Have you used those before?  Have one or two of the ones by DMold. Haven't used them yet. The Alleycat ones look very nice in the pics and they are a bit cheaper. Wondering how well they fit and what the overall level of finish and detail is.

13 hours ago, Mstor said:

Have you used those before?  Have one or two of the ones by DMold. Haven't used them yet. The Alleycat ones look very nice in the pics and they are a bit cheaper. Wondering how well they fit and what the overall level of finish and detail is.

No. However, Alleycat's reputation is excellent and they are "local". 

Tony

Preordered two from Jumblies a few weeks ago.  Great buy at £22.95 chaque un.

Looks to have the latest Revell (~44 x 25 x 11 cm) box with the graphite trim, so fatter than the old blue box = Enough room to stuff the AM in.

Need to source the porky FG.1 leg from somewhere (other than SAC). 

Tony