Dull or matte clear over finished model with decals?

Hello again all,

My son and I have completed his SBD Dauntless and I slid the decals over the model. It has been sitting for 24 hours already and I was wondering if I’d be able to clear over them or have a messed that up by doing that? If I spray a testors enamel dull coat on it, will it make the decals fold up? Should I use a water based, acrylic based or enamel based clear coat to seal in the decals? The model was sprayed with testors spray paint, the top of it was given a water based citadel blue wash and the decals were set normally (nothing was added to ensure the decals set other than the film under them). Please advise. Thank you all. Y’all are very helpful.

Edited by Feenix
Misspelled word

I used to always use the bottled Testors Dullcoat Lacquer. Thinned with their lacquer thinner and airbrushed directly over decals. The rattle can also works fine, but make sure you give it the lightest of mist coats (to get the matte finish; a heavier coat gets glossier).

An acrylic matte coat will also work fine. Your local hobby shop (LHS) probably has a selection of clear coats to choose from.

Decals are extremely fragile until you clear coat. After being clear coated, still don't even think about putting any tape atop decals.

Put some pix in The Display Case!

Hello and thanks to those who have answered this post. Could one spray something like krylon from Walmart as a dull coat or should I go with testors clear coat? Not trying to save money or be cheap, just a bit of a drive to the nearest hobby shop like michaels or hobby lobby. Thanks in advance for the advice y’all.

On 11/30/2018 at 12:40 PM, dnl42 said:

The rattle can also works fine, but make sure you give it the lightest of mist coats (to get the matte finish; a heavier coat gets glossier).

This is important. Testors Lacquer Dullcoat is fairly hot and if sprayed on heavy over decals it could damage them. Spray a light mist coat followed by one or more mist coats until the desired level of flat finish is achieved.