UH-1C HUEY 1/35 Academy

1 hour ago, Rotorman said:

New Huey book.  Great photos inside. 

Sorry for the bad photo.

20191006_121940_zpsi4qzxp7j.jpg

Thanks Oliver,

Wish i own it... I have Werner's Wings DVD (bought it 7 years ago) and 3 more gigabytes of other photos and PDF's, but is still not anough for my greedy soul.

If you can post another pictures of that Sagami mount in different angles it will be great! And no need to isolate them, don't spent your time.

How was that spare barrels under the seat looks like, like on this photo?

And a personal question - Have you served at Vietnam War?

•  You have the sling attachment points correct including the forearm assembly attachment point.
    • (Technical bulletin: In 1967 parts modification: the buttstock and forearm assembly changed from sling swivels on the bottom (like a rifle) to on the top of the buttstock and on the left side of the forearm assembly (swivel and tab at 90 degrees). Also changed barrel lock lever to a design to better prevent accidental opening. In 1970 parts modification of the swivel & tab on forearm assembly were turned to 45 degree angle, introduction of the long sling hanger, and another new safety lever.)
  • 26620.jpg
  • Your pintle mount attachment is not correct though and the forearm assembly is not pinned this way for the mount to work.
    • On the underside of the M60 Forearm Assembly there is a small block hole where the mount plate affixes and snaps securely into place but only after some bad words because it's always fun to snap on and off. Not. You can see the square hole  indicated by red arrow on the underside:
    • M60+parts+kit.jpg
  • Sagami mount image request; hopefully these will help. I missed out on buying these. It was them, a Huey gunship restoration or my marriage. Still married. Still no Huey.
  • Click these, should open, right click-view image. Should give you a huge picture hosted on my lame-O blog.
    • Sagami.jpg
    • Sagami+II.jpg
    • Sagami+III.jpg
Edited by snake36bravo

How was that spare barrels under the seat looks like, like on this photo?

Here are some great images.

The below is Vietnam era.

https://militaryantiquesmuseum.com/uvf0006-vietnam-war-era-us-m60-barrel-and-bipod.27992.htm

And a personal question - Have you served at Vietnam War?

My father did. I grew up Vietnam. I went into the Army myself during the 1st Gulf War and served from 1992 until 2001. I'm on the lower right with the Pig. Sorry for the low-res.

Task+Force+27.jpg

Edited by snake36bravo
Sgt Barnes entered my hooch

•  You have the sling attachment points correct including the forearm assembly attachment point.
    • (Technical bulletin: In 1967 parts modification: the buttstock and forearm assembly changed from sling swivels on the bottom (like a rifle) to on the top of the buttstock and on the left side of the forearm assembly (swivel and tab at 90 degrees). Also changed barrel lock lever to a design to better prevent accidental opening. In 1970 parts modification of the swivel & tab on forearm assembly were turned to 45 degree angle, introduction of the long sling hanger, and another new safety lever.)
  • 26620.jpg
  • Your pintle mount attachment is not correct though and the forearm assembly is not pinned this way for the mount to work.
    • On the underside of the M60 Forearm Assembly there is a small block hole where the mount plate affixes and snaps securely into place but only after some bad words because it's always fun to snap on and off. Not. You can see the square hole  indicated by red arrow on the underside:
    • M60+parts+kit.jpg
  • Sagami mount image request; hopefully these will help. I missed out on buying these. It was them, a Huey gunship restoration or my marriage. Still married. Still no Huey.
  • Click these, should open, right click-view image. Should give you a huge picture hosted on my lame-O blog.
    • Sagami.jpg
    • Sagami+II.jpg
    • Sagami+III.jpg

Hi Snake!

Thanks again and again and again! Sorry for my late respod. Was stucked with my 3d printer. Chineses cheated me with resin, now open disput with them.
And i still don't know your name!

Here are some great images.

The below is Vietnam era.

https://militaryantiquesmuseum.com/uvf0006-vietnam-war-era-us-m60-barrel-and-bipod.27992.htm

My father did. I grew up Vietnam. I went into the Army myself during the 1st Gulf War and served from 1992 until 2001. I'm on the lower right with the Pig. Sorry for the low-res.

Task+Force+27.jpg

Copy that! Where is that picture from? US or some combat point?
And about Huey restoration, it was my dream too. Ofcourse my dream less real than yours till i'm living in Russia? here is not too much Hueys 🙂 But maybe, some day, who knows... I dream at least to see Huey in reality. Till that i'll try to do my best with my 1/35 Huey restoration.

I remember a day when i was 7 years old maybe, and i saw some assembled 1/72 Huey gunship kit at local model store. I was asking my parents to buy it, but they don't. 

And now 28 years have passed since then, and I did not give up trying to make such a Huey by myself, and make it 1000 times cooler than was in that store. I'm still remember that small Soviet store, with 5-10 models was in it, and that little green Huey... Broken childhood dreams become big, long adult projects. I am happy that my parents did not buy me that Huey. Otherwise, this project would never have happened :)))

And i wish you from all my heart you make your dream reality. Marriage, kids, jobs, pets, friends is a good things, but we should make something special, something for our passion in our lives, until our lives are over.

And i can't find any closeup photos of that wooden ammo box to recreate it. I planning to scratch build it with wooden sheets but don'tknow neither dimensions no shape.

Well you're in luck here as well. Door gunners just used a standard M-67 Frag grenade ammo box  Very common sight among all aviation units. (Ignore the grenade pictured. An overzealous Pogue decided a Mark II pineapple grenade would do despite the box nomenclature)

594557_ts.jpg

Outside dimensions:

19 1/2" Length x 11 1/2" Wide x 11 1/2" High

Interior dimensions: (a bit smaller)

16 1/4" Length x 10" Wide x 9" High

This field expedient method of carrying more ammo was stepped up to the M-5 40mm grenade ammo can later on with the Charlie and Mike model that had a stronger engine but for what you're modeling on Miss Mini you've got what you need.

Verlinden and some others offer the Vietnam ammo crates including the grenade ammo crate in 1:35 if you don't want to scratch build it.

Best of luck including that pesky Chinese 3D printer.

Snake~

Edited by snake36bravo

Well you're in luck here as well. Door gunners just used a standard M-67 Frag grenade ammo box  Very common sight among all aviation units. (Ignore the grenade pictured. An overzealous Pogue decided a Mark II pineapple grenade would do despite the box nomenclature)

594557_ts.jpg

Outside dimensions:

19 1/2" Length x 11 1/2" Wide x 11 1/2" High

Interior dimensions: (a bit smaller)

16 1/4" Length x 10" Wide x 9" High

This field expedient method of carrying more ammo was stepped up to the M-5 40mm grenade ammo can later on with the Charlie and Mike model that had a stronger engine but for what you're modeling on Miss Mini you've got what you need.

Verlinden and some others offer the Vietnam ammo crates including the grenade ammo crate in 1:35 if you don't want to scratch build it.

Best of luck including that pesky Chinese 3D printer.

Snake~

Thanks my friend!

I guess gunners use that crates without top wooden covers?
Did they used the same crates for grenades and for m60 ammo belts?

Thanks my friend!

I guess gunners use that crates without top wooden covers?
Did they used the same crates for grenades and for m60 ammo belts?

You're welcome Alex. Always glad to help.

Correct, no top cover to the crate as seen in the image where the gunner is removing the M60A from the Pintle mount off the Sagami arm. Also, remove the ropes to carry the crate as pictured on Miss Mini

Correction to my earlier statement: Shaving is not the right term for no sight posts on the M-60 barrels.

The terms used by door gunners of chopped and shaved refers to chopping down the barrel length and shaving the buttstock as seen here. A flat plate was also used instead of the buttstock. Sorry about that. 

M60Chopped.jpg

'Nam-Sense: One of the downsides to the Sagami mount was the limited ability to cover the gunship as it came out of a gun run when the door gunners would fire behind and under the gunship 'on the break' as seen here in this inflight demonstration by a 120th Assault Helicopter Company door gunner (image courtesy of 120th Razorback Gunships)

inflgiht.jpg

And here in this screen grab I made long, long ago of a door gunner 'working out'

24910056_246217469246177_784847275023955

Please share some more of your build pictures Alex. Especially any scratch work or decal design.

Stay frosty on the Don.

Edited by snake36bravo

Correct, no top cover to the crate as seen in the image where the gunner is removing the M60A from the Pintle mount off the Sagami arm. Also, remove the ropes to carry the crate as pictured on Miss Mini 

Copy that! 

No top cover.

No hanging ropes.

Correction to my earlier statement: Shaving is not the right term for no sight posts on the M-60 barrels.

The terms used by door gunners of chopped and shaved refers to chopping down the barrel length and shaving the buttstock as seen here. A flat plate was also used instead of the buttstock. Sorry about that. 

M60Chopped.jpg

Don't sorry!

Thanks! Now i see wy some PIGs has short barrels. I have one short barreled m60 from Daragon's Vietnam Seals set, and thought is some kinda mistake, but now i see it's correct. Thanks again!

I'm still in progress. Learming 3Ds Max software. Trying to create correct and (most important - printable in 1/35 scale) M60 3D model. More than 6 weeks passed, but i'm still in the same place.

It's hard to create proper model, because i need to balance between realism and printability. If i make it like the real one - small relief details will not be visible. So i need to make more structural hypertrophy on this model. And in 3d view it will looks strange and ugly, but after 3d printing is should looks embosed and pretty, in theory :))) Theory is a key-word :)))

If i got you corrent - i should NOT peel off front sight on my Miss Mini?

'Nam-Sense: One of the downsides to the Sagami mount was the limited ability to cover the gunship as it came out of a gun run when the door gunners would fire behind and under the gunship 'on the break' as seen here in this inflight demonstration by a 120th Assault Helicopter Company door gunner (image courtesy of 120th Razorback Gunships)

And here in this screen grab I made long, long ago of a door gunner 'working out'

24910056_246217469246177_784847275023955

Really inspirating pic! Thanks! But i planning to make left gunner with M60 mounted on Sagami. There is no other way to pose my gunner because i have already paint him.

Please share some more of your build pictures Alex. Especially any scratch work or decal design.

With pleasure my friend! But i stiil didn't make nothing interesting in my build. In real i did, but it some separate pieces and it will tell nothing. I'm stucked with my custom m60, this idea completely filled my mind so i can't do nothing and can't think abount other parts of my build. It is a "Dark side" of my nature - obsession.

Here is my custom decal sheet. Also will be available use for everyone totally FREE. I'll share vector CDR file after it remake. Because there is a lot of mistakes (black outline around oval yellow Bandit's door signs). And thank you AGAIN for let me know aboaun that black outlines!

The result of watched thousands of photos. Hope it worth that hundreds of hours i spent on this work.

Maybe i'am wrong, but think here is full stencil data for that birdy. 

I looked at every inch in the photographs. But he could have missed something, of course.

Click to enlarge

w8RA8mxfLiqQ6ZCjbfmc4v6VhW8Ua6eDHAteIsR7

Stay frosty on the Don.

Where is that phrase from? :)))) 

Edited by L-GREECO

I'm still in progress. Learming 3Ds Max software. Trying to create correct and (most important - printable in 1/35 scale) M60 3D model. More than 6 weeks passed, but i'm still in the same place.

Keep after it and you'll get it I'm certain! All it takes it sticking with it. Hopefully you wont rip out all your hair in the process

I use MAYA, GMAX, ModelConverterX, 3D_Converter, and FSDS but for other reasons, 'flyable' gunships in-simulator and static .mdl files. Maya works great for  .OBJ files and 3d printing.

3d.jpg

FSX+Test+of+Hog+MDL.jpg

Rocket+Run.jpg

If i got you correct - i should NOT peel off front sight on my Miss Mini?

Negative, no front sight posts on the door guns for Miss Mini. I was correcting my wording from earlier.

Really inspirating pic! Thanks! But i planning to make left gunner with M60 mounted on Sagami. There is no other way to pose my gunner because i have already paint him.

Every 5th round on a belt of 7.62 for the M60 is a tracer round. I had to print screen like mad just to catch that tracer leaving the barrel to get that image.

Just sharing some interesting facts.

No need to change what your doing. Rock on!

Here is my custom decal sheet. Also will be available use for everyone totally FREE. I'll share vector CDR file after it remake. Because there is a lot of mistakes (black outline around oval yellow Bandit's door signs). And thank you AGAIN for let me know aboaun that black outlines!

Click to enlarge

The CorelDRAW CDR file did not post. I have CorelDRAW 11 if you need any assistance.

Stay frosty on the Don.

Where is that phrase from? :)))) 

For some unknown reason I confused you with Bravo 6's sculptor Vladimir Demchenko. He lives on Rostov-on-Don. Stay frosty, ie stay cool, on the Don because Ive spent winter in Moscow.

Edited by snake36bravo

Keep after it and you'll get it I'm certain! All it takes it sticking with it. Hopefully you wont rip out all your hair in the process

I use MAYA, GMAX, ModelConverterX, 3D_Converter, and FSDS but for other reasons, 'flyable' gunships in-simulator and static .mdl files. Maya works great for  .OBJ files and 3d printing.

3d.jpg

FSX+Test+of+Hog+MDL.jpg

Rocket+Run.jpg

Negative, no front sight posts on the door guns for Miss Mini. I was correcting my wording from earlier.

Every 5th round on a belt of 7.62 for the M60 is a tracer round. I had to print screen like mad just to catch that tracer leaving the barrel to get that image.

Just sharing some interesting facts.

No need to change what your doing. Rock on!

The CorelDRAW CDR file did not post. I have CorelDRAW 11 if you need any assistance.

For some unknown reason I confused you with Bravo 6's sculptor Vladimir Demchenko. He lives on Rostov-on-Don. Stay frosty, ie stay cool, on the Don because Ive spent winter in Moscow.

Hi Snake, 

I will not rip out my hairs because there is almost nothing to rip, unfortunately... 

Copy that about front sight. Thanks! 

Still working on 3d m60, and still waiting for resin for 3d printer. 

I didn't post cdr file yet, only png. Can't find the right one. Maybe tomorrow I'll give it to you. 

Thanks for the offered help with the Coreldraw, but I'm good with it. More than 10 years experience in graphic design, so I'm sick of it. Now I use all that software only for my hobby. 

Got you, about Rostov :) 

What did you do in Moscow? 

Vodka, babushka, blini, ikra, harasho? :))) 

NASA/ESA & Roscosmos

Shashlik!!,Blini, Pelmini, Borscht, Khinkali, etc no Ikra =( but Vodka? Da mnogo! Also avoiding sabaka and babushka. About the same when they bite! 😃

My wife and I laughed at your message for 5 minutes.  Half a gallon of tears flowed from my eyes ... Great joke about stereotypical Russians 🤣

• 5 months later...

Hey guys!

Here is update.

After 3 months of 3D modeling, 3D printing, testing, and modeling and printing again....

Sagami mounts, m60s, and spare barrels are ready to paint and glue.

Photos are not good, sorry for that. That's because of the orange colour of the resin, it can't give enough contrast.

All parts of Sagami movable/workable so i can adjust m60 as i need in the future.

Pc6BpvYQQDu92KaykI7ph1lplIzVCk8GFhnH3aEA

BVgkesU18DoTA63bMC5dLediz0oPqwPI4yrC_MoG

WDBOTwX33gmE-6PuwHU9oQwm9xiJBxNGD7YAs4lj

onrEQdZGBD-NcxYa0keLnnqKx6vMvWKrB-LhTld8

Gray primer is next. To see haw all the parts looks in hight contrast.

If it Ok, painting next.

Edited by L-GREECO
Photos updated
16 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Pics are working now.  They look really good.  Are you going to offer these up on Shapeways or the likes?

Thans Gino! I have paint all parts today in gray color and they looks more detailed now. I will post pics later. I'm not sure how Shapeways works, but no, i don't plan to earn money on that models. I want to give all that stuff for everyone for free. I made the models couple of month ago, but I needed to make sure that they can be printed normally. So now all people who intrested in that models need to discuss my result, maybe i need to improve something.

6 minutes ago, ALEXANDRE REZENDE said:

Beautiful 3D work, L-GREECO...
Any possibility of giving the OBJ file to me to try to print it?
Thanks!

Of course, my friend! 

Just grab it!

Waiting for your verdict.

m60 1-35 OBJ Without supports.zip - just models  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D5IjDNmRxRZYXIzfh5EfMM2tP2Bn22Nw   

m60 1-35 OBJ With supports.zip - ready to print with resin printer https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mu-jogilH9zl-uFG-19DoRJFhQmRyNU2

If you can't download it, just let me know.

Just wondering, has anyone here ever built the kit as a civil Bell 204 (built as a civil ship), or a surplus UH-1 now doing external load (logging, heavy fift, firefighting, sprayer) ship?I