1/48 Zoukei Mura F-4S Phantom II - Heater-Ferris VF-302 Stallions, 1983

Greetings!

So once again I am back with another completed project, the 1/48 Zoukei Mura F-4S Phantom II in the unique Heater-Ferris scheme adorned by VF-302, circa 1983.

The kit is the excellent Zoukei Mura F-4S kit.  This was a fun build for me, and I enjoyed pretty much the entire process.  Fitment is very good, and detail is fantastic!  So much so that the only aftermarket I used were the decals.  Those decals are the from the long OOP Afterburner Ferris Phantoms sheet from 2009.  I think I lucked into finding that sheet on eBay for less than $20, after I had been searching for quite some time.  As usual, the Catograf printed Afterburner Decals performed flawlessly. 

This kit has a well known flaw in the rear fuselage, but it is not something that bothers me much so I did not worry about it.  It is said that the upcoming long-nosed Phantoms from ZM will have the fuselage issue fixed.  Makes me wonder if they will ever do anything about the ones already produced...  Probably not...

Masking for this scheme is actually considerably harder than I was expecting.  I freehand masked the Splinter Eagle Aggressor scheme and Splinter Tomcat Adversary scheme, but those were both actually easier than this one.  Getting the lines at the correct angle over the fuselage and continuing the shape across complex curves proved to be quite frustrating.  I got it mostly right, but there are some definite inconsistencies with the real aircraft as far as line positions.  Looks good enough for me though!

Overall I am very happy with this one.  Such a cool scheme!  I weathered this moderately heavy, and was a little afraid I took it to far.  But as I looked at it more day by day I have decided that I am very happy with it. 

Here is what I used for this project:

Kit: 1/48 Zoukei Mura F-4S Phantom II    SWS-48-05

Decals: Afterburner Decals Ferris Phantoms  48-051

Aftermarket:  None

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Black 1500 (primer base),  Tamiya Liquid White Primer (for marble coat), Gunze Aqueous H316 FS 17875 Insignia White, H308 FS 36375 Light Ghost Gray, H337 FS 35237 Grayish Blue, and H42 FS 35164 Intermediate Blue, Mr Paint MRP-245 FS 36307 Light Sea Gray, ModelMaster FS 35109 Aggressor Blue, Tamiya Rubber Black, Clear Red, Clear Green, and Smoke, and Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Airframe Aluminum, Pale Burnt Metal, and Burnt Iron. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. Mig Ammo Deep Gray panel wash.

Thanks for looking!

540272-16625-75.jpg

540271-16625-31.jpg

540270-16625-23.jpg

540268-16625-43.jpg

540278-16625-16.jpg

540284-16625-15.jpg

540276-16625-92.jpg

540269-16625-29.jpg

540273-16625-99.jpg

540283-16625-36.jpg

Really nice! I bought the Z-M F-4S and found a copy of the same decals as I am planning to do mine in a Heater-Ferris scheme too. Man it sure looks great. You have really done it justice.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:29 PM, Whiskey said:

Sigh, stop shaming me into getting something built as AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL as your F-4 Michael! One of my favorite things is to see your newest completions being posted here, thanks! 

Thanks so much Zach, I always appreciate your feedback and I am really glad you enjoy my completion posts!  I tend to work pretty quickly and on average finish a model in 3-6 weeks, so never too long to wait for my next installment!  🙂

On 11/30/2018 at 9:18 PM, phantom said:

Outstanding!!!!

Thanks man!  Getting phantom's approval on an F-4 is the ultimate compliment!  

On 12/1/2018 at 12:21 AM, Djack said:

Man, that is a beautiful build!

Thanks Djack, I appreciate the kind words!

On 12/1/2018 at 1:43 AM, BoeingDriver said:

Jesus...

Ahhhhhh, Jesus.  I like him very much.  But he no help with curveball.

15842c06114482c9df14ec628adddc3c

LOL, a little Major League movie reference for ya.  🙂

On 12/1/2018 at 5:49 AM, Stephen said:

Superb work.

Thanks Stephen!

On 12/1/2018 at 7:24 AM, Janissary said:

Love it, looks awesome! Any tips what to look out for during the build? I have the D and the in the box it looks a little challenging. 

Thanks Janissary!  The intakes gave me a little problem, and the fuselage to wing join left a little gap.  Not sure if the issue was on my end or not.  So keep an eye out for that.  Other than that I ran into no other issues.  Everything else fits quite well.  The assembly is rather complicated, but the instructions are quite good, often giving multiple views of the assembly so that you are rather sure how a part goes together.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with on yours!

On 12/1/2018 at 10:00 AM, Darren Roberts said:

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As always, thanks for the NOICE Darren!  🙂

On 12/1/2018 at 5:53 PM, my favs are F`s said:

Oh, she's gorgeous! Awesome subtle weathering and colors!

Thanks my friend!  Funny thing, I actually was afraid I weather it to much after I did it.  I always feel like that right after.  To me, it is always a fine line between perfect and over-weathered, and I always feel like I crossed the line.  Then after a day or so I am usually happy about it, but I always have to be careful not to go too far.

On 12/1/2018 at 8:08 PM, BN7149 said:

Just awesome.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan, I really appreciate that!

On 12/1/2018 at 10:15 PM, Mstor said:

Really nice! I bought the Z-M F-4S and found a copy of the same decals as I am planning to do mine in a Heater-Ferris scheme too. Man it sure looks great. You have really done it justice.

Thanks bud!  Yeah, it really is such a great sheet, I was lucky to find one.  I chose the VF-302 bird because it is not one usually done.  Which one do you plan to do?

On 12/2/2018 at 12:02 AM, fulcrum1 said:

Lovely build!

Thanks Fulcrum!

On 12/2/2018 at 1:33 AM, doxasg said:

Excellent result for your painting and weathering, too!
I would like to see your model more aggressive, loaded with missiles on pylons. ( My opinion!)
Congratulations.

Thanks for the kind words!  I chose to do her with no weapons because they were reserve aircraft.  Most pics I saw show them with no missiles, although occasionally I did see training AIM-9s on one of the pylons.  The fuel tanks were actually not often used either, but I wanted to put something under the wings and went with those.

2 hours ago, caudleryan said:

Another well done model! You never cease to amaze me! I think I read somewhere that someone used a laser line to make the lines over the fuselage.

Thanks Ryan, I really appreciate that my friend!  I had not heard that about the laser line.  Very interesting!

2 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Thanks bud!  Yeah, it really is such a great sheet, I was lucky to find one.  I chose the VF-302 bird because it is not one usually done.  Which one do you plan to do?

I haven't decided. It'll be a while before I get to it. I just really liked the look of the F-4S in the Ferris schemes. They're so different and so seldom seen modeled. I hope I can do half as well as you have.

7 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I haven't decided. It'll be a while before I get to it. I just really liked the look of the F-4S in the Ferris schemes. They're so different and so seldom seen modeled. I hope I can do half as well as you have.

I am sure yours will turn out great!  This scheme is sneakily difficult to mask, despite how easy it looks.  Anyway, once you get to it, give me a shout if you have any questions, I will be glad to help!

1 minute ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

I am sure yours will turn out great!  This scheme is sneakily difficult to mask, despite how easy it looks.  Anyway, once you get to it, give me a shout if you have any questions, I will be glad to help!

Thanks. Will bookmark this thread for future reference.

22 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Great, will do. I actually found the decals before I bought the kit. Once I found a copy of the decals for the Heater-Ferris schemes (and won the auction), I had to hunt up a Z-M F-4S. Finally found one at BNA Model World in Australia. It was a good price and reasonable shipping too. I surprised how scarce the F-4S's had become. I'm glad I found one and the decals.

Edited by Mstor