Su-27 Kitty Hawk 1:48

Su-35S and Su-27 share very little in common beyond OML. I doubt ScaleMates has any actual insight into design of this kit and it is far more likely it was just someone who thought Su-35S is just a variant of Su-27 and that is that. Unless KH plans to screw it up spectacularly, this kit would need to be completely new tool.

Scalemates is basically like Wikipedia in which anyone can make changes or add a new kit, so it is likely whomever added that to Scalemates didn't realize the vast differences.  The other issue is in the Scalemates category grouping, the Su-35 falls under the Su-27 category, there is no category for Su-35.  That is why they are shown on the same timeline (however I did de-link them). 

There are separate categories for the Su-33 and Su-34, so I think one for the Su-35 may also be needed.  Not sure how to get another aircraft category added.  There are different levels of contributors, and I am only a level 2.  Higher levels may be able to add one, or it may need to be the owner of the site, Tim.

Anyway, I am excited about this.  Their Flanker releases recently have been pretty decent.  Will be interesting to see how it compares to the HB.

4 hours ago, Solo said:

I hope Great Wall Hobby once again will follow Kitty Hawk...

That would be great. I have the Hobby Boss kit, but I am told there are issues with it.

8 hours ago, HomeBe said:

And the Flanker in the box art is not a Su27 but a Su-27SM... 😜

https://russianplanes.net/id198962

https://russianplanes.net/regs/RF-95255

7550d3f3d7.jpg

V.P.

The flight lead in the box art has the ECM antennas on the intake corners that were deleted on the SM, so maybe it's just the same jet pre-modernization? Remember, a lot of the Su-27SM jets are rebuilds, not new manufacture. 

10 hours ago, SebastianP said:

The flight lead in the box art has the ECM antennas on the intake corners that were deleted on the SM, so maybe it's just the same jet pre-modernization? Remember, a lot of the Su-27SM jets are rebuilds, not new manufacture. 

Pre Modernization 74 had a different bort number and scheme. It is hard to tell due to resolution but it seems to me the IRST is centered and i dont see RWR's on slats. So to me it seems the artist just saw some pictures of Su-27SM's and used them as a template for scheme/colors but the frame remained to be vanilla Su-27.

2 hours ago, Berkut said:

So to me it seems the artist just saw some pictures of Su-27SM's and used them as a template for scheme/colors but the frame remained to be vanilla Su-27.

Well if the artist is the same who does design kit decals... remember the Bulgarian Yak-130 markings...

22 hours ago, HomeBe said:

And the Flanker in the box art is not a Su27 but a Su-27SM... 😜

https://russianplanes.net/id198962

https://russianplanes.net/regs/RF-95255

7550d3f3d7.jpg

V.P.

The IRST on the box art is still centered, not offside to the right. So, the markings may look like the above sample, but the airframe doesn't look like it.

Berkut beat me to it. I suppose I should read the entire thread before posting eh?

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
  • 1 year later...
On 12/1/2018 at 11:11 AM, Solo said:

Is it possible that this kit is new tooling? According to ScaleMates it is "new parts" added to Su-35 kits.

But Su-35 has got complete changed hull and wings, cockpit, engines, ect...

The kit is a new tooling with parts modifications for the following 4 variants.  Very much looking forward to getting these. 

On 12/1/2018 at 2:18 PM, Solo said:

I hope Great Wall Hobby once again will follow Kitty Hawk...

Great Wall has ZERO customer support so if you damage or are missing a part you are screwed.

1 hour ago, psimon said:

Great Wall has ZERO customer support so if you damage or are missing a part you are screwed.

if you damage or screw a part you should of been more careful.

Plus the GWH kit is already a far better start point based off the info published on there FB page, and they havnt fraudulently used one researchers name like Kittyhawk have in advertising.

Ill take GWH every day of the week over a Kittyhawk version..and twice on Sunday

But accidents happen. Happened recently to me also with AMKs MiG-31, I can understand now why customer service is so important, especially when you buy a kit for almost twice the price (of the mig I am referring to). It's like you buy a Ferrari and then you can't even find contact with them in case something gets broken.

I have made KHs Su-35 and it's rather a boast for my shelf, also, aside of some issues, it was going together pretty well. Of course it is less accurate and detailed but also cheaper.

7 hours ago, dehowie said:

Plus the GWH kit is already a far better start point based off the info published on there FB page, and they havnt fraudulently used one researchers name like Kittyhawk have in advertising. Ill take GWH every day of the week over a Kittyhawk version..and twice on Sunday

Fair enough, but these researcher theatrics don't really bother me at the slightest so I'll take the one with a better detail to price ratio.

Currently, I like the details I've seen of the KH and the minimum amount of PE provided (just seat belts and a few more bits), but I'll wait for some decent review to see if there are some major issues.

GWH made a mess with the F-15B/D apparently and had some issues with the MiG-29 kits, so I'm not taking it for granted that their Su-27 will be flawless. They seemed to have doubled down on the research part on this one, at least.

Edited by ijozic
8 hours ago, Tapchan said:

But accidents happen. Happened recently to me also with AMKs MiG-31, I can understand now why customer service is so important, especially when you buy a kit for almost twice the price (of the mig I am referring to). It's like you buy a Ferrari and then you can't even find contact with them in case something gets broken.

I have made KHs Su-35 and it's rather a boast for my shelf, also, aside of some issues, it was going together pretty well. Of course it is less accurate and detailed but also cheaper.

👍

On 7/3/2020 at 7:31 PM, ijozic said:

GWH made a mess with the F-15B/D apparently and had some issues with the MiG-29 kits, so I'm not taking it for granted that their Su-27 will be flawless. They seemed to have doubled down on the research part on this one, at least.

they made a mess of them?

Are we talking about the same GWH 1/48th F-15 kits?

Currently they are the best in scale with far more detail and far better fit than the next best kit the Hasegawa one.

I have no idea where your getting your info from but it isnt correct.

As for the info they are using id take Gabors research over any other Russian researcher end of story.

Great Wall stuff is light years superior to KH in every respect..every.

Now i have quite a few KH kits and they are improving and the SU34 is the pick but multi part wing and fuse construction rather than single piece like Hobbyboss/Gwh does them no favours.

I cant think of a single reason to choose a KH Flanker over a GWH one and i did pick the KH SU-34 in preference to HB...