Su-27 Kitty Hawk 1:48

Second best F-15 seem to be Revell, not Hase.

I will get both Sukhois and see the difference (of course if KH will be max €65, over this it gets unprofitable).

Edited by Tapchan
1 hour ago, dehowie said:

Are we talking about the same GWH 1/48th F-15 kits?

Currently they are the best in scale with far more detail and far better fit than the next best kit the Hasegawa one.

First F-15B/D has got many serious issues including few major shape issues ect. GWH made even special correction set for it.
Newer F-15 kits are better, I hope so.

21 hours ago, dehowie said:

Great Wall stuff is light years superior to KH in every respect..every.

Now i have quite a few KH kits and they are improving and the SU34 is the pick but multi part wing and fuse construction rather than single piece like Hobbyboss/Gwh does them no favours. I cant think of a single reason to choose a KH Flanker over a GWH one and i did pick the KH SU-34 in preference to HB...

Solo already explained the original F-15B/D issues. Just take a look at the comparison link he posted, there were some serious errors there (nose profile, rear canopy shape, grill behind the canopy, top engine cover shape, etc.). Though, at least they corrected them, eventually.

Also, I wasn't too happy with quite a few areas of my GWH MiG-29 9.13 kit, especially given its high price (pretty bad intake fit requiring a lot of sanding and removal of locator tabs, corrected missile pylons whose relocated locator pins were far too wide to fit the wing made for the initial undersized pylons, bad fit of the lower wing endings leaving wide trenches to be filled, same sized gaps are also present on the bottom side of the vertical stabilizer base; lack of any interior intake detail and same for auxiliary intakes, some mold misalignment, including the missile parts). The kit felt slightly over-engineered in parts, especially the PE parts (e.g. the top IFF Odd Rods antenna with three individual tiny PE sticks that you should glue on a tiny PE base part). So, yes, it is the best 1/48 kit of a 29 now, but it's also the only modern one. For the high asking price, I'm not really looking forward to tackling with some of these issues again, even though I'd love to make an SMT.

Regarding the KH Su-27 kit, I like some of the details I've seen on the preview images (like internal detail of the openable front nose section) so I'd be prepared to give them a chance again given more of such detail, a favorable price and barring any major shape or fit issues.

But, yes, those separate top wings parts are not exactly filling me with joy..

Edited by ijozic
12 hours ago, ijozic said:

To minimize gap issues with multi-part wings, file/taper the flat areas that join the wings to the fuselage.  This will create a small gap in the middle of the join allowing both top and bottom wing surfaces to butt right up against the fuselage.  Hope that helps.  

MultiPartWings.jpg

15 hours ago, ijozic said:

Apparently, I can't tell how good the new kits will fit, but I've built KH Su-34 and it had no problem whatsoever in the wings fit department. The joint looks as just another panel line even after my mediocre hands. So with all my concerns about KH Sukhoi kits, wing fit is not one of them.

Edited by Helmsman

The deal killer for me is the awful weapons from KH - gaps and misalignment everywhere. A missile shouldn't need hours to assemble, putty, sand, and rescribe. I was ok with the build of my Su-35 but when I got to the weapons I lost all interest. I'll probably get the GWH kit.

From the Baidu thread with the sprue shots, they are already pointing out a few problems with the kit.

First the F sprue has parts for both types of IRST, center and right side mounted ones, but the only windshield part included is for the right side one which can't be used for the center mount IRST since it has a cut out on it. They don't include another windshield.

F7s59SJ.jpg

Second and it's a Mr. Song level of stupid mistake. The left intake part where there should be a curve for the intake ramp/wheel well depression it's straight. It's not unbuildable per se, you only need to do some surgery with an x-acto but it's shouldn't be a mistake that would end up in a final product.ENwkE86.jpg

106920376_3978884422182521_4028432635696719435_o.jpg

Edited by Inquisitor

I hate self-referential commenting but this time it might make sense. My posting on BM from yesterday :

Just arrived (20 minutes ago):

#80169  Su-30MK, ordered on 06/07/2020 (Monday this week) via ebay.com, offering from sophili-98 (KH directly), delivered with FedEx International Priority.

VERY first impression:

ususal booklet with 32 pages, 3 decal sheets (<markings,<stencils,<weapon load for #KH80163 -unused-), NO external stores!!, only wing katamaran weapon carrier. 2 clear sprues , one for twinseater, one for single seater (have to check if identical with Su-35 kit).

From first glance no moulding mistakes, but an evidental (easy to correct) engineering fault

see: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/306336-su-27-kitty-hawk-148/page/2/#comments

though seemingly the design was ok as the instruction show things correctly

Cheers

Andreas Beck,Berlin