Su-27 Kitty Hawk 1:48

Visually.... the Su-27SM has an offset IRST ball on the starboard side of the windscreen - but no IFR probe on the port side.

It also has RWR antenna halfway along the leading edge slat that is not present on the Su-27.

day_02_62.jpg

I think the SM also has twelve hardpoints - the 'standard' Su-27 only has ten.

That's external visible differences - internally - and in the cockpit - there are other differences.

Ken

#KH 80-168 Su-27 UB:

only one clear sprue GP 80-168, for center IRST, no cut out in front glazing

2x #weapon_2 sprue with R-27 (several variants),R-73, R-77, R-60

decals for 11 different a/c

--

#KH 80-169 Su-30 MK:

two clear sprues: #GP 80-168 (see above) and #GP80-163 for Su-27SM right  side IRST with cut out in front glazing

no weapon sprue

decals for 6a/c

--

lower fuselage halves show close relation to that of the Su-35 kit, but they are NOT identical, heavily reworked

the single seater clear parts #GP80-163 do fit to the Su-35 (those from the kit Su-35 are a bit undersized).

sorry psimon your answer sounds a easy way out! ask sophia for the missing part???? i bet most in modeller community would love to see kittyhawk stop to make those silly errors cos' we could love their ideas ! i bought the mirage 2000 D which of course can be built it but with a lot of money to spend if you want to get close to a nice work ! is not the point ! the point is they make the same mistake on every kit so far ! so we can avoid ask sophia for replacement part if they will put some effort to delivery good product ! no perfect kit good kit ! by the way i bought their SU30 and i know thanks to some  peoples who were willing to share their impressions in these posts the odds stupidity by kittyhawk!!!! you ask me don't buy it ! i'm asking you in good manners and education don't answer at the post involved ! thanks psimon 

Edited by legend1
On 7/17/2020 at 3:08 PM, psimon said:

If you don't like Kitty Hawk's "sh!tty" products, why are you here on this topic?  Thanks to members posting images we can all see for ourselves some of the issues we may need to deal with if we choose to buy these kits. We are looking for positive solutions to some of the issues not some one whining about why they hate the company.

the solution must gave to us by kittyhawk not by modeller ! just put some effort to avoid those mistake ! deliver to us a good kit ! not perfect only a good kit ( perfect kit don't exist) and nobody will use rude words ! by the way ! if you ask me don't buy it ! in a good manners i'm say to you don't answer at the post here ! thanks and stay safe

Edited by legend1
18 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

And that's why people are posting their opinion. Or reposting some photos and pointing out the comments on the chinese sites about these mistakes as I did previously on the thread so people are informed of the issues with the kit. SO they can make their judgement if the kit is worth their time and/or money. Sure, go buy your KH kit blindly expecting it to have no issues and turns out you can't build the vanilla Su-27 option because they didn't include the correct clear part which isn't an easy fix, unless you consider buying another kit an easy fix.. Sure, stay silent and don't point out their damn stupid mistakes for other people to know? Is that what you want everyone else to do?

One way for them to change is people voting with their wallets, but that again involves people being informed of such mistakes, not staying silent and not criticizing them for their pretty lengthy history of stupid goofs. OTOH I'd hope if KH get enough people requesting the damned clear part because they didn't include it, they'll realize they #$@#d up another kit and at least try to fix it by including it from now on.

i do agree with you Inquisitor

53 minutes ago, legend1 said:

sorry psimon your answer sounds a easy way out! ask sophia for the missing part???? i bet most in modeller community would love to see kittyhawk stop to make those silly errors cos' we could love their ideas !

"Ask sophia for the missing part" is my solution for people who already bought this kit and don't want to buy the other to complete the build.  I don't see how calling Kitty Hawk a "sh!tty company" will miraculously solve their problem.

42 minutes ago, legend1 said:

the solution must gave to us by kittyhawk not by modeller ! just put some effort to avoid those mistake ! deliver to us a good kit ! not perfect only a good kit ( perfect kit don't exist) and nobody will use rude words ! by the way ! if you ask me don't buy it ! in a good manners i'm say to you don't answer at the post here ! thanks and stay safe

Once again never said people are not allowed to vent.  I just don't see how calling this company a "Sh!tty Company" here on this forum will magically make them improve.  It's whining and unconstructive not to mention a slap in the face to members that bought the kits bc they saw potential despite some of the glaring errors.

i heard worse then shittyhawk ! but won't change nothing ! just kittyhawk put a bit more effort on your kit give to us buiyer good kit not perfect! good kit ! cos we love kittyhawk ideas ! and of discussion for me

Edited by legend1
18 minutes ago, legend1 said:

i heard worse then shittyhawk ! but won't change nothing ! just kittyhawk put a bit more effort on your kit give to us buiyer good kit not perfect! good kit ! cos we love kittyhawk ideas ! and of discussion for me

I agree.  It also does boggle the mind how some of these glaring issues got passed. I suspect perhaps a limited staff due to CoronaVirus and wanting to beat other MFGs to the finish line.  In the end it did them more harm than good.  The issues for me were not a show stopper for the Su-27UB.  I won't be getting their other kits till I know the errors have been addressed in a later run. 

12 minutes ago, psimon said:

I agree.  It also does boggle the mind how some of these glaring issues got passed. I suspect perhaps a limited staff due to CoronaVirus and wanting to beat other MFGs to the finish line.  In the end it did them more harm than good.  The issues for me were not a show stopper for the Su-27UB.  I won't be getting their other kits till I know the errors have been addressed in a later run. 

i hope they will do it in the later run! have fun and don't get upset about some words i have heard a lot worse believe me ! is  not my intention to trash kittyhawk o shittyhawk like some says ! i have been accused to trash the company name and product like my thought were so important in the kit modelling industry !!!! a name like yoy said wont change their way to do the things and yes sometimes i did mention s...........hawk it's just saying but yes i get offended when i pay a lot of money and this kind of mistake really trash my wallet ! have fun 

7 minutes ago, legend1 said:

i hope they will do it in the later run! have fun and don't get upset about some words i have heard a lot worse believe me ! is  not my intention to trash kittyhawk o shittyhawk like some says ! i have been accused to trash the company name and product like my thought were so important in the kit modelling industry !!!! a name like yoy said wont change their way to do the things and yes sometimes i did mention s...........hawk it's just saying but yes i get offended when i pay a lot of money and this kind of mistake really trash my wallet ! have fun 

This is why I wait for reviews before buying kits.  Got stung in the past with some terrible fitting or badly detailed kits.  I also won't buy kits from companies that have no customer support like GWH.  No point in paying over a hundred $ for one of their kits (Can dollars) and gamble that all the parts will be in the box or none are damaged.

4 hours ago, psimon said:

I suspect perhaps a limited staff due to CoronaVirus and wanting to beat other MFGs to the finish line.

Yes to the second point no to the first. Kitty Hawk doesn't had a QC process during design phase. For example the cannon fairing parts are not in the Etendard IV kit while they are present in the Super-Etendard kit. These kits are three years old.

4 hours ago, Laurent said:

Yes to the second point no to the first. Kitty Hawk doesn't had a QC process during design phase. For example the cannon fairing parts are not in the Etendard IV kit while they are present in the Super-Etendard kit. These kits are three years old.

You are right about that.  Waiting till the very end to see if you did it right is the worst business practice.

For those that bought (or are thinking about buying) the Kitty Hawk 1/48 KH80163 Su-27 Flanker-B and want the center IRST option,  Sophia responded to my inquire and has confirmed KH will "provide free GP to those who need.".  "Gp" is the alternate clear parts Sprue.  She did not mention shipping.  Sophia can be reached at sophialynm@gmail.com. 

3 hours ago, psimon said:

For those that bought (or are thinking about buying) the Kitty Hawk 1/48 KH80163 Su-27 Flanker-B and want the center IRST option,  Sophia responded to my inquire and has confirmed KH will "provide free GP to those who need.".  "Gp" is the alternate clear parts Sprue.  She did not mention shipping.  Sophia can be reached at sophialynm@gmail.com. 

Well, that really works. I had ordered the UB last Monday and had asked for an extra GP80-163 for the single seater before ordering. The kit arrived on Friday and indeed included this little extra. With some (delicate) surgery these parts can be used on the KH Su-35.

BTW, I asked about the Su-25 which is on pre-order at Hobby Easy. I was said that it might come in August.

The reason why Kitty Hawk is called Shitty hawk is because they CONSTANTLY make easily avoidable mistakes with their aircraft kits. Its really great that they are going to provide the other windshield if you write them, that is really commendable. But you shouldn't have to do that. 

Also how can a company in the 21st century make the errors on the intake tunnel? Very simple the people that do the molding and packaging have NO  IDEA on what they are doing. KH needs to get some on in on the production end that knows a modicum of the subject that can oversee production and avoid these simple mistakes. 

I sincerely hope that KH see's the errors in their current business model and corrects it. KH has a great subject line up but until they can be consistent and not trip over them selves I won't buy anything from them.

1 hour ago, boom175 said:

The reason why Kitty Hawk is called Shitty hawk is because they CONSTANTLY make easily avoidable mistakes

Kitty Hawk is not the only company that does this.  Even some of the better companies have released kits that are the wrong shape (Kinetic K48062 SU-33 Flanker D) or have ZERO customer support so if a part is damaged or missing you are shoot out of luck (GWH). Even with the glaring issue of these latest SU kits, the overall shape, details and fit look great. Should they have caught this glaring error?  Yes of course!  Does this make the kit worse than many other SU Flankers out there?  No way!  Is the issue minor enough that even a child can fix it with minimal difficulty?  Yes!

If you don't buy GWH kit from shady sources but choose some modeller store then you can return the kit when there is something broken or missing. 

Imho when they rise the price then they should rise the quality along. No matter how positive I was towards KH I'm totally disappointed here.

Maybe KH should change distribution model to the like of Hachette or DeAgostini, people will request Sophia for new parts from time to time until they build whole model.

Edited by Tapchan
26 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

If you don't buy GWH kit from shady sources but choose some modeller store then you can return the kit when there is something broken or missing. 

Imho when they rise the price then they should rise the quality along. No matter how positive I was towards KH I'm totally disappointed here.

Maybe KH should change distribution model to the like of Hachette or DeAgostini, people will request Sophia for new parts from time to time until they build whole model.

Doesn't matter where I buy it from, GWH has terrible quality control to forget to put a clear sprue into a box.  They should stand behind their product and provide customer service like any other reputable company.  Round 2 will even replace parts you may have damaged during a build.  Since name calling is appropriate on this forum, GWH is a shoot company.

Wow,  Kinetic/'s Su-33 is wrong shape? That's a quite rich, it has it's issues but is overall better shaped than GWH's Su-35.

No, KH is quite unique. I think they are relatively well respected here, over on the Chinese forums basically all modellers refer KH as shitty hawk, like it's their official name there already, LOL. If KH keep it up, we will get there some day too.

Edited by delide
6 hours ago, psimon said:

Doesn't matter where I buy it from, GWH has terrible quality control to forget to put a clear sprue into a box.  They should stand behind their product and provide customer service like any other reputable company.  Round 2 will even replace parts you may have damaged during a build.  Since name calling is appropriate on this forum, GWH is a shoot company.

The more you talk the more you sound like someone living in a 1st World Country talking about 1st World problems, ignoring the rest of the world and how some people in other non privileged countries have to deal with these problems.

Where I live there aren't any official channels for most of the brands. Only ones are Tamiya, Italeri and Zvezda and then they go through another distributor Tamiya USA in the former or the main company but that's twice a year on shipping containers for the later. So you can see how long it takes for them to get any response to defective products even from official channels. Then most local stores import their stuff from a 3rd party distributor from USA, Europe, Asia, etc and so on. And don't expect to get any of the novelties soon.

So, most of the time if you get something defective from a store they either refund you, replace it with the same product if they have it available, or pray they get it from their distributor half a year later. But in today's age a lot of modellers buy their kits from overseas either by themselves, group purchases or buy from other people who import models for sale specially for the new releases.

Then there's the shitty postal service where a lot of stuff gets lost so, getting replacement parts that should have been included in the box sent in small package without tracking is a coin toss.

So comparing GWH null after sale service and KH where most of the time something is not right with the kit and in my own experience so far.

4 GWH 1/48 Su-35 kits, no problems

2 GWH 1/48 Su-35 w/  Ground weapons, no problems

2 GWH 1/48 F-15E and I, no problems.

2 GWH 1/72 F-15I no problems.

4 KH Yak-130, 4 out of 4 decals are unusable because they decided to goof the decals and they haven't fixed it yet or haven't heard back from them if they'd get a correction sheet out. In the end got rid of them and warned the buyer they'd need to purchase an aftermarket sheet from begemot.

2 KH Su-27, 2 out of 2 no center windshield. I'll try to get the replacement parts from Sophia, but if previously it was a coin toss even if paying extra for tracked shipping, with the current Coronavirus situation it's even worse. And shouldn't be paying FedEx, DHL or even tracked air mail for their own mistakes.

I also have a couple KH Su-34 and Su-17/22 and although they have problems the former minor and the later are fixable.

Even if one day I'd get a GWH kit without a clear sprue, it'd still be less in numbers and $ compared to all the KH kits I've had problems with , I'd pick GWH over KH any day.

Knowing KH history of problems, whenever there are group purchases among fellow modellers for KH's latest novelty in my case when it's my turn I give a warning that I'm not responsible for KH's mistakes and they should know better for blindly buying their kits in the initial release.

BTW, Thanks for singling me out for saying purchasing another kit is a shitty solution, but buying another kit is still a sh!tty solution, not a positive solution. Yes, the correct windshield is included in their other kits, which is a indication they have the part. Which is a easy fix for them, they can send the replacement and if they got the memo, include it in their single seater boxing from now on. Not so with the Yak-130 I bought. But it shouldn't be like that and I'll quote you:

On 7/19/2020 at 8:19 AM, psimon said:

Waiting till the very end to see if you did it right is the worst business practice.

Well, if they did their homework in the design and packaging planning stage they would not need to wait till they started sales to get the message they messed up another kit again.

You want positive solutions? I'll give you one we gonna do with it and since we live in a country where getting replacement parts was hard prior to the virus. Another fellow modeller also bought the 27UB and 30MK, he'll let me borrow the clear parts to make copies in clear resin and distribute among those who bought the single seater.

And if you are gonna come at me that I'm vocal about KH's mistakes, people should be vocal about their mistakes. OTOH, I won't say anything bad about their Su-34, in fact I recommend it over the Hobbyboss one. Even the Su-17 I say the KH one is the lesser of two evils, depending the viewpoint of accuracy or what can be fixed or not.

Edited by Inquisitor
52 minutes ago, delide said:

Wow,  Kinetic/'s Su-33 is wrong shape? That's a quite rich.

The kit was molded by Aviation Art who is now making a new tooling due to all the errors they made on the first go.  There is even an entire thread on it here showing all the problems with the current Kinetic kit.  Try to keep up.

46 minutes ago, Inquisitor said:

The more you talk the more you sound like someone living in a 1st World Country talking about 1st World problems, ignoring the rest of the world and how some people in other non privileged countries have to deal with these problems.

So comparing GWH null after sale service and KH where most of the time something is not right with the kit and in my own experience so far.

4 GWH 1/48 Su-35 kits, no problems

2 GWH 1/48 Su-35 w/  Ground weapons, no problems

2 GWH 1/48 F-15E and I, no problems.

2 GWH 1/72 F-15I no problems.

I AM living in a 1st World Country talking about MY 1st World problems just like you are doing the same with your examples only from some 3rd world country or something ignoring the rest of the world.  You are saying you never had any problem with GWH.  Good for you!  Here's your cookie! 

One of my kits is missing the clear parts so despite your good fortune, not everyone in the world is as fortunate as you and GWH has no customer support which makes them a shoot company.  

Anyway, THANKS to everyone here that posted images of the parts of these kits and offered constructive criticism without acting like a child so the rest of can make informed decisions to buy or not buy these kits.  I do appreciate your contributions.  As for me, i said my piece and am out'a here since there is not much else to learn or be said.

happy model building!

8 hours ago, psimon said:

The kit was molded by Aviation Art

"Aviation Art" (I put quotes because AFAIK it's just a label not an actual company name) as a lot of mainstream producers do not make their toolings.