ARC Discussion Forums
phantom

1/72 C-54 / RCAF North Star

Starting up two big models which will be massive conversions. Start with the Revell C-54. Add the Belcher Bits North Start conversion. One (late version) for a customer and (early) for me.

qQNfQHV.jpg

This is NOT your Revell kit of yore. This sucker has a bizzillion parts. Just the cockpits took most of an afternoon.

YZaxCq2.jpg

Silly amount of detail for something that I highly doubt will be visible when the model is complete.

Nice start with the cockpits.  I have been wanting to build one of these so I will be very interested to see how your builds go.

I'll be watching this one. Always like Canadian content.

This forum needs a " like " button.

Chris

Until I get to the conversion parts, THIS was the hard part I think.  But I have till the end of January. It will happen. But nothing more till Friday.....unless I don't get OT on Wednesday.

Turns out I did not get overtime. This model is taking a LOT of time but is (so far) not as hard as I thought it would be. MANY very small parts. Had more then a couple go flying to the carpet monster. Fortunately I found them all.

9FkePI5.jpg

Funny thing,. for all the very very nice detail in this kit I doubt much will be viable even with the doors open.

xNdOvTq.jpg

One body seems to have gone together perfectly. THe other needed some help and super glue. But should clean up just fine.

5dFFn94.jpg

Larry Millberry's Northstar book is a good reference if you can get access to one.........You caught the window on the port rear that needs to be filled and  believe there is a small one on the starboard behind the cockpit that should be filled too. There is a picture in the book that shows this. It is however a small window. Looking good so far....Dry fitting of the resin engines in my kit show a pretty good fit so build away

Edited by RCAFFAN

One of the reasons that I never bought this kit was because when I was at my LHS the size of the box led me to believe that it was a large kit.  When I look at it compared to the bottle of Tamiya paint you have there it doesn't seem that bad.

Yeah, its not as big as I thought either. But the kit part count is VERY high. Lots of interior parts in this kit.

Ready to start cutting and applying Merlins over the radials.

FQxCuBO.jpg

Bunch of Merlins..

jfi6Z7O.jpg

Edited by phantom

thanks, I will fix that right away!

Looking like airplanes now.

dsXe7zC.jpg