Hi again! I'd like to know if the FS36231 is the correct color for the French Rafale or is there any other more correct paint to use. This was suggested by a decal manufacturer but upon comparing that color with the fighter jet sites, not sure if it's just a lighting reflection, but that color seems to be too dark. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Navy or airforce? 

It's a tricky colour, because it changes a lot according to light conditions,

Here 's how tackled mines, but these are french navy

https://reddogsmodels.wordpress.com/2014/06/24/rafale-nounou-148/ 

By no means is it only the only way to do it, It's just what matched my own study of the colours

Edited by Red Dog

One Rafale decal sheet I have from Syhart suggests FS26293  for an Air Force version, which according to my FS595 fan deck is a little lighter than FS26270 which should be easily available as a model paint.  In fact, I would hazard a guess that the variation in representation of 26270 among the various model paint manufacturers is greater than the difference between 26293 and 26270.

4 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Navy or airforce? 

It's a tricky colour, because it changes a lot according to light conditions,

Here 's how tackled mines, but these are french navy

https://reddogsmodels.wordpress.com/2014/06/24/rafale-nounou-148/ 

By no means is it only the only way to do it, It's just what matched my own study of the colours

It's a Rafale M. I also have a C.

Edited by flybywire
4 hours ago, jenshb said:

One Rafale decal sheet I have from Syhart suggests FS26293  for an Air Force version, which according to my FS595 fan deck is a little lighter than FS26270 which should be easily available as a model paint.  In fact, I would hazard a guess that the variation in representation of 26270 among the various model paint manufacturers is greater than the difference between 26293 and 26270.

Since you mentioned Syhart, they also suggested FS36231 for the M. I was referring to another decal manufacturer earlier.

I checked FS26293 from the paint4models,  there is not a single brand that showed up. What brand/s produces lacquer or enamel FS26293?

Edited by flybywire

From what I have read elsewhere, FS36320 is the colour generally recommended by Skyraider Models and they supposedly know their French a/c.

French a/c are painted using the peculiar to them, Celomer system or AFNOR colours. I've used 36320 on mine & it looks close. But they can look different depending on the lighting and weathering on the particular a/c.

------------------------

13 minutes ago, barkin mad said:

From what I have read elsewhere, FS36320 is the colour generally recommended by Skyraider Models and they supposedly know their French a/c.

French a/c are painted using the peculiar to them, Celomer system or AFNOR colours. I've used 36320 on mine & it looks close. But they can look different depending on the lighting and weathering on the particular a/c.

------------------------

FS36320 is 307. I guess I also read somewhere about FS36320.  Is this color good for B, C & M?

1 hour ago, flybywire said:

I checked FS26293 from the paint4models,  there is not a single brand that showed up. What brand/s produces lacquer or enamel FS26293?

I suppose you could try contacting these people. They make paints matching FS26293. Not sure if they would be appropriate for models or what the smallest amount would be. Nor if they would even sell to an individual. There is a company in Britain that will sell matches to RAL and other standards in small amounts. Can't remember their name nor whether they did FS colors.

https://www.tempo-aerospace.com/colour-guide/fedstd595-26293/

4 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Saving this info. I've got an M, been trying to get my hands on a B for a while now.

I've got the M too, but would rather get my hands on one of the new Revell C kits than a B. Never was a big fan of the two seater. Problem is I haven't seen the C kit anywhere. Has the Revell Rafale C actually been released?

16 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I've got the M too, but would rather get my hands on one of the new Revell C kits than a B. Never was a big fan of the two seater. Problem is I haven't seen the C kit anywhere. Has the Revell Rafale C actually been released?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Revell-1-48-03901-Dassault-Rafale-C-Model-Aircraft-Kit/132868749433?hash=item1eef983879:g:MaoAAOSwtbxbzYx3:rk:6:pf:0

20 minutes ago, stalal said:

Thanks stalal. From that info did a search and found it on Amazon for about $40 USD. Have to wait until cash flow is better or I find it cheaper somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

If you look in my post just above yours, you'll see I found the one on Amazon too. $40 USD. :thumbsup:

I realized that few seconds after I posted mine.

I should have read your post a little bit slower.

Anyway, I was about to spend almost $50 for it on Ebay.

Thanks.

jsolo

10 hours ago, solher1 said:

I realized that few seconds after I posted mine.

I should have read your post a little bit slower.

Anyway, I was about to spend almost $50 for it on Ebay.

Thanks.

jsolo

I do the same thing all the time and then have to be "corrected". No prob. Should be a good kit. Syhart makes some cool decals for the C.