Flightpath (DJParkins) make a set :

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17723&cat=269&page=1

Trumpeter makes a missile set that includes AIM-120s

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/tru/detail_tru_3303.shtml

And finally, Cutting Edge made one that may turn up on eBay from time to time.

That's all I could find, aside from those included in 1/32 Tamiya F-16CJ and Academy F-18C kits.

• 3 months later...
On 12/2/2018 at 8:17 PM, Mstor said:

Flightpath (DJParkins) make a set :

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17723&cat=269&page=1

Trumpeter makes a missile set that includes AIM-120s

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/tru/detail_tru_3303.shtml

And finally, Cutting Edge made one that may turn up on eBay from time to time.

That's all I could find, aside from those included in 1/32 Tamiya F-16CJ and Academy F-18C kits.

Does anybody have any close-up pictures of any of these that they could share (preferably assembled)? I searched but couldn't really find much.

:cheers:

On 3/24/2019 at 9:28 PM, Dave Williams said:

I believe that Eduard has announced a set of 1/32 AIM-120s as a future release.

Hmmm. This might get interesting... Old school vs. state of the art technology.
Any idea when they will be released?

On 3/24/2019 at 5:14 PM, Zactoman said:

Does anybody have any close-up pictures of any of these that they could share (preferably assembled)? I searched but couldn't really find much.

I do have AMRAAMs from the Academy F-16 kit as well as a set of Cutting Edge. When time permits I'll glue them together and post some pics.
For comparison, I'd like to see pics of all of the available options (including Eduard when they're released).

On 3/29/2019 at 8:18 AM, Mr Matt Foley said:

I'd buy a Zacto set in a heartbeat.

Thank you. I appreciate the show of confidence. :cheers:

This is actually the first full missile I've made. Alexander did the patterns for all of the other Zactomodels missiles and I just did some final assembly stuff as well as converting the L/M Sidewinder to a D/G/H version.
It's proving to be much more challenging than I had anticipated! I already had big respect for Alexanders workmanship but now it's Mad Respect! :worship:
Adding the various facets on the fins while keeping them accurate and well defined was a nightmare and for the most part, these fins were simpler than the AIM-9X fins that he did.
He really raised the bar and made this project difficult for me...

Here's a poor quality teaser pic of my test-shot. I'm still working on the final details and finishing up the CATM parts. I'll bribe the wife to take some good pics of the final product (coming soon!).

AMRAAM_test1_zpss0qeoam2.jpg

10 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Thank you. I appreciate the show of confidence. :cheers:

This is actually the first full missile I've made. Alexander did the patterns for all of the other Zactomodels missiles and I just did some final assembly stuff as well as converting the L/M Sidewinder to a D/G/H version.
It's proving to be much more challenging than I had anticipated! I already had big respect for Alexanders workmanship but now it's Mad Respect! :worship:
Adding the various facets on the fins while keeping them accurate and well defined was a nightmare and for the most part, these fins were simpler than the AIM-9X fins that he did.
He really raised the bar and made this project difficult for me...

Here's a poor quality teaser pic of my test-shot. I'm still working on the final details and finishing up the CATM parts. I'll bribe the wife to take some good pics of the final product (coming soon!).

AMRAAM_test1_zpss0qeoam2.jpg

I would love to have a set of these!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay. I wasn't happy with the front fins so re-made them (again...). Working on production molds and finishing the instructions.

Has anybody seen the Eduard parts yet? So far I've only seen the CAD renders. They seem to show rather thick edged fins rather than knife edged. I'm curious to see what their conduit looks like as it doesn't show in the renders.

I went ahead and put together the Academy (dark gray) and Cutting Edge (light gray) AIM-9C parts for comparison. I still need to measure for the AIM-9A/B.

AMRAAM_3_zpspdg9nnb0.jpg

Length should be 4.494"
Academy is -.064"
CE is -.221"
Z is +.012"

Diameter should be .218"
Academy is -.009"
CE is = at rear but -.003" at front
Z is -.002"

Rear fin span should be .545"
Academy is +.077"
CE is +.006"
Z is +.009"

Front span should be .548"
Academy is +.005"
CE is -.006"
Z is +.010" (pre-production parts)

AMRAAM_4_zpskllrr64x.jpg

Academy isn't bad. About 1/16" too long. The rear fins are quite a bit over in span and length and the nosecone is a bit too pointy.

The CE version was almost 1/4" short (missing from rear section). The fins are crude and misshapen. The nosecone profile is way off. The sets I bought are very poorly cast.

Both have simplified conduits. Both, for some reason, chose to add an inner ring on the exhaust. Both have the rear fins located too far forward when they should be even with the rear.

Edited by Zactoman
Corrected Academy diameter