Fantastic! I love the base especially. I see you used the photo etch as well, I've been debating if it's worth doubling the price of the kit to add the PE to it or just do an out-of-box build.

12 minutes ago, mkjm said:

Fantastic! I love the base especially. I see you used the photo etch as well, I've been debating if it's worth doubling the price of the kit to add the PE to it or just do an out-of-box build.

You need to use the PE to achive a realistic look. The solid booms that came with the kit were no good for me. But this will depend on the modeler, this was a very personal project for me.

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work!

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Ricardo Salamé said:

You need to use the PE to achive a realistic look. The solid booms that came with the kit were no good for me. But this will depend on the modeler, this was a very personal project for me.

A very fair point! I may just be hanging mine from the ceiling so it may not bother me as much.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:49 PM, Ricardo Salamé said:

House dust and after market accessories don't mix well. Besides the booms became very fragil with PE

Speaking of fragile, how did you secure the long PE boom (long field magnetometer boom) to the kit?

I too have the PE set and between the long thin booms and the tiny pieces it looks like quite a challenge. 

22 hours ago, habu2 said:

Speaking of fragile, how did you secure the long PE boom (long field magnetometer boom) to the kit?

I too have the PE set and between the long thin booms and the tiny pieces it looks like quite a challenge. 

Habu2;

You have to work with what you have. I used gel cyanoacrylate glue. But you have to be careful when you move it, I will need to make a special box to take it on the road. The PE its not heavy but its very long, barely fit y my modeling cabinet.

Ricardo 

I was considering a clear plexiglas rod inside the PE boom to give it some support and a way to attach it. One of my data sources states the real boom measured 13 meters long when extended and only 0.41 meters when stored / collapsed !  Extension tests required special support fixtures because the boom could not support its own weight in Earth’s gravity !

4 hours ago, habu2 said:

I was considering a clear plexiglas rod inside the PE boom to give it some support and a way to attach it. One of my data sources states the real boom measured 13 meters long when extended and only 0.41 meters when stored / collapsed !  Extension tests required special support fixtures because the boom could not support its own weight in Earth’s gravity !

Sound like a great idea but do some testing, so you don't add to much weight housing of the boom. I foung a little challenging the gluing of this parts

Ricardo 

On 12/8/2018 at 8:06 AM, K2Pete said:

My goodness ... this ... is ...GORGEOUS!!  :jaw-dropping:     you did a beautiful job on this Ricardo!!!  :thumbsup:  :worship:

Thanks Pete!!! I am glad that you like it

Ricardo 

On 12/4/2018 at 6:24 PM, habu2 said:

Habu2;

You have to work with what you have. I used gel cyanoacrylate glue. But you have to be careful when you move it, I will need to make a special box to take it on the road. The PE its not heavy but its very long, barely fit y my modeling cabinet.

Ricardo 

Don’t intend to hijack this thread but thought some of you might find this interesting.

On Dec 10 2018 Voyager 2 crossed over from the heliosphere into interstellar space.  

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum33/HTML/000186.html#121018a

And where are they now?

https://heavens-above.com/SolarEscape.aspx

48 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Don’t intend to hijack this thread but thought some of you might find this interesting.

On Dec 10 2018 Voyager 2 crossed over from the heliosphere into interstellar space.  

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum33/HTML/000186.html#121018a

And where are they now?

https://heavens-above.com/SolarEscape.aspx

Yes Habu2 the Voyager 2 reached the interstellar space a month earlier! 🤣🤣🤣🤣it was expected to arrived in 2019

Ricardo 

On 12/5/2018 at 4:34 PM, habu2 said:

That's not unusual for such structures. Solar cell arrays on satellites like the Boeing (née Hughes) HS-601 needed to be supported during any high-bay testing that required the solar cell booms to be deployed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...