New GB Proposal: What Ifs, or: No role models!

"What If-Groupbuild" - Are you interested?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. "What If-Groupbuild" - Are you interested?

• Yeah, I have so many ideas of how to make a perfect kit into something the world has never seen before!
    • What? What do I have all my sources and books for? No way I´ll do something "unrealistic"...

I have to admit that I´m looking at the current GB-situation with some sort of disbelief and grief. We currently do have only two active GBs, and those are not thaaaat active as we all thought. ( I mean, a Top Gun-GB. TOP GUN! Are you guys listening to me?? TOP GUN!!!)

my idea is that we may need some sort of relaxation here. When I need some relaxed modelling - usually after I have done a couple of kits that required research, scratch-building and finally look like a certain original - I turn to some wild, no real-world oriented "what if".

Examples?

My "Killer Egg", an Alouette III with external weapon mounts for anti-tank-duties:

BUDeJgt.jpg

My "moving bush", a Humvee with sepcial camo-netting:

aWIJEey.jpg

My OV-10G "Super Bronco":

8VQ4BhC.jpg

Just relax during the build, no need to check resources and books, just do what you´d ever wanted to do on a kit!

Legal for the "What If-GB" are:

- Anything without a real-world reference

- Anything that has never left the drawing board

- Anything that has only made it to prototype-status, but now built as "line aircraft", e.g. the two-seater A-10 - like this one...:

ZtfgDU6.jpg

Ok, are you guys creative enough for THIS GB? 😉

HAJO

Why not? Give it a try! So you can finally build a RAAF Tornado or a canadian Phantom (an I am sure Phantom will do! hehe), or whatever camo you like on your fave air force. Or create your own special anniversary scheme. What-if is a special side topic in our hobby but it has its place. I stick also to realistic aircrafts but should try something.

22 hours ago, tobiK said:

Why not? Give it a try! So you can finally build a RAAF Tornado or a canadian Phantom (an I am sure Phantom will do! hehe), or whatever camo you like on your fave air force. Or create your own special anniversary scheme. What-if is a special side topic in our hobby but it has its place. I stick also to realistic aircrafts but should try something.

More than a place, it has tradition. There have already been "What if" group builds here. But we haven't seen one in a while, so it would be good to have one again.

12 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Well, I don´t have the feeling this thing is flying very high... We´re barely off the ground with 10 votes....

HAJO

Yeah, thats been happening lately........I gave a yes vote BTW.

I looked back at the thread from the summer time and we discussed the idea of a short lead time, and fewer votes needed to start. I still think we can reduce the number of votes to say 15 and have a good GB.  This one will have narrower appeal than something like the Revell GB, but I think those who are inclined to do Whiffers will be likely to participate and see the GB through.  Maybe it can be an Instant GB to start Jan 1

7 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

I looked back at the thread from the summer time and we discussed the idea of a short lead time, and fewer votes needed to start. I still think we can reduce the number of votes to say 15 and have a good GB.  This one will have narrower appeal than something like the Revell GB, but I think those who are inclined to do Whiffers will be likely to participate and see the GB through.  Maybe it can be an Instant GB to start Jan 1

Sounds reasonable........Neo??????

Think that larger more items included is the way to go with Group builds.

I would like to do some more Star Trek stuff. But if we add the Star Wars types.....then we might have something.

Then I got to thinking. As sci-fi is science FICTION, we could combine the sci-fi gb idea to the what -if GB idea all ready being posted.  THIS might have enough topics to make a reasonable GB.

I would co-mod with the author of the what if GB if he wants to.