VF-21 F-14A Operation Earnest Will

Trying to get a little bit more information regarding two Tomcats from VF-21 that "engaged" something while flying CAP during Operation Earnest Will in 1987. I can't find anything about the BuNo's for the flight that were involved (not surprising) with this. I have Furball's VF-21 sheet and it has a F-14A while assigned to the USS Constellation in 1987 so it's the correct time and place but I just want to know what the two birds actually were. Any leads or info would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the story:

https://warisboring.com/in-1987-u-s-navy-f-14s-engaged-phantom-iranian-planes/

I definitely remember the event, as I was onboard the Connie with VAQ-139 at the time. The Tomcats recovered without some AIM-7s, and there was general excitement on the flight deck they'd been fired with effect. The article you link tells the story pretty much as I remember it. Viz was awful in the NAS/GOO (as usual), no visuals on any bogies, and a C-130 apparently nearby at the same time. I heard a rumor that maybe the props on the 130 produced erroneous doppler returns and set up a bad shot, but have no idea if that's a plausible explanation. I don't think secondary confirmation was received that any F-4s had been hit. The fighter pukes would have been a lot more excited if that had happened. They weren't, and the whole event was eventually forgotten.

But back to your original question... sorry, no idea on which BuNo's were involved.

Man thanks! Anything related to this event is greatly appreciated even if it's a personal take of it all. I like putting together models of aircraft that have significance or have stories to tell and although it's not confirmed that they bagged anything it would definitely be awesome to put them together. I have the decal sheet from Furball and the kits, I guess I'll go ahead and utilize those and hope that's the aircraft that was involved.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...